Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If ordering FX4 do I need 4 K as well?
Yes, because of the transmission oil cooler. Yes the radiator and the fan are increased with just the FX4 package but the life blood of a transmission is the oil. Once the trany oil gets too hot you will lose a lot of its lubrication properties. Now, if you don’t need to tow more than 2k lbs then no, you don’t need the 4K towing package. I myself am getting FX4 and the 4K towing. I want to tow an off road style tear drop travel trailer.
Ford Maverick 4K Tow & FX4 duplicate equipment? 1624411299690

Last edited:

bigsweatydawg

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lancer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i ordered both on my build and when i asked the dealer if they would install one over the other he couldn't answer me. i asked ford on social media and they said the same thing. they told me they would install all that the packages include. but from my understanding a few of them might conflict with each other aka the upgraded cooling fan vs the heavy duty cooling fan and the heavy duty radiator vs the upgraded capacity radiator. so im not sure what to expect. they also mentioned that the fx4 and 4k packages may include options not listed in the details.

Didj

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m interested in these answers as well.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4 LUX 4K 360 VB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I may tow something every once in a while, but I got the 4K primarily for the upgraded gears and trans cooler. These are a must for me since I'm performance-driven on and off road, and even if the radiator and fan are the same as the FX4, it's worth it to me. Not gonna lie tho, it does bug me a little that there's no discount for bundling the packages.

Haha48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well I got both. If you don't want to be limited to 2000lbs you need 4k tow they gear the rear differential and shocks differently with each package so you get towing rear end a 5 pin connector trailer brake controller the off road tires skid plate drive modes with the fx4. The rest seems to be the same

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did some looking on the radiator and fan since I have an XL with 4k tow and couldn't have gotten the FX4 package even if I wanted it on this trim level. There are 2 radiator options for FX4 according to the parts catalog depending whether you have the 4k tow package or not. Either way they run anywhere between ~$200 and change for the one without 4k and ~$400 with 4k tow. The cooling fan assembly runs ~$600.

My take if anyone is buying an XLT or higher trim buy the FX4 package. It is worth the price for the parts that if you bought separately like those 2 piece along with the skid plates, 6 inch cluster, rims and tires would run probably over $2000. You lose the eco and sport drive modes but can reenable them later using forscan.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, because of the transmission oil cooler. Yes the radiator and the fan are increased with just the FX4 package but the life blood of a transmission is the oil. Once the trany oil gets too hot you will lose a lot of its lubrication properties. Now, if you don’t need to tow more than 2k lbs then no, you don’t need the 4K towing package. I myself am getting FX4 and the 4K towing. I want to tow an off road style tear drop travel trailer.
1624411299690.jpeg
I am going to disagree with you on this since an aftermarket transmission cooler is viable and economically cheaper second option to prolong the life of a transmission when not needing the extra tow capacity.

Cybertubbster

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape and 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just having the transmission oil cooler adds years of life to the transmission even if you don't tow.
And the 4k is only 745$. Pretty good deal for a tranny cooler and bigger radiator even if you don’t tow anything I think.

Sponsored

Bad Actor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Ranger XLT, 73 Mustang Base, 02 Toyota Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As others have said, 4K adds the upgraded cooling, lower gear ratio, 7 pin connector/hitch and brake controller. I believe the rear suspensions are differently tuned, as well.

The FX4 package gets you a 4 pin connector/hitch, different wheels and tires, bigger center display, tow hooks, decals, skid plates, different drive modes and heavy duty cooling.

Either package is a bargain, and although a couple of items overlap, together, they are still a bargain. As a side note, I ordered the 110v outlet because it comes with a 175 amp alternator vs the standard 150 amp alternator.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And the 4k is only 745$. Pretty good deal for a tranny cooler and bigger radiator even if you don’t tow anything I think.
The rear axle is also geared differently. 4k packages have a 3.81 gear ratio. Non 4k packages depending the engine either have a 3.63 gear ratio for ecoboost engines or a 2.91 gear ratio for hybrids.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
fx4 wheels and tires alone are worth more than the cost. Subtract the overlap with 4k and you still get the bigger display, tow hooks and skid plates. I got it because the wheels look really, really good.

Cybertubbster

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape and 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The rear axle is also geared differently. 4k packages have a 3.81 gear ratio. Non 4k packages depending the engine either have a 3.63 gear ratio for ecoboost engines or a 2.91 gear ratio for hybrids.
3.81. That’s going to be quick! Hope it doesn’t rev too high at hiway speed. Anyone know what rpm that runs at say 70 mph?
Sponsored