First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have ordered a Maverick XL with the 4k towing package + AWD, and I am curious if I will need the AWD... I am a bare bones type of person and dont like to spend too much money on my cars (case and point, I drive a 2013 Ford Focus hatchback Manual, standard SE with no other options). I plan on towing a 2,000lb boat (for now, may go up to 3k in the next 10 years) and that's about it. Boat ramps around me are usually adequate and well used, so not too much junk on them.

What is your experience? FWD adequate? I have toyed with the idea of going to the XLT + 4k but not the AWD (savings would offset).
Sponsored

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Over the years, trying to pull a boat out with a FWD (only) vehicle was about the most miserable thing ever,,,,,,

HRG

OP
OP
dldsm7

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Over the years, trying to pull a boat out with a FWD (only) vehicle was about the most miserable thing ever,,,,,,

HRG
Thanks for the reply. Currently I tow it with an AWD SUV and never had any complaints. Just one of those things that I have never experienced!

Imabass

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, rav4, caravan, Ranger (v-8)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maxing out the tow rating is not a great idea. if you plan to tow 2,000 pounds get the option that tows 4,000 pounds. This is just my opinion and obviously they think that it can handle 2,000 pounds but maxing out the towing capacity is asking for expensive transmission repairs.

OP
OP
dldsm7

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maxing out the tow rating is not a great idea. if you plan to tow 2,000 pounds get the option that tows 4,000 pounds. This is just my opinion and obviously they think that it can handle 2,000 pounds but maxing out the towing capacity is asking for expensive transmission repairs.
Oh I was going to get the 4k towing regardless, but the base option is FWD and not AWD. I ordered the AWD version but wasn't sure if that is going to be necessary

Sponsored

Dbergie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan, Kia
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Oh I was going to get the 4k towing regardless, but the base option is FWD and not AWD. I ordered the AWD version but wasn't sure if that is going to be necessary
I’d go with the AWD for towing a boat up a ramp for sure.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I had a boat or liked to get my truck dirty I would buy AWD but I don't boat nor get off the pavement so don't need AWD.

RicksMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 Lariat Lux 1$tED 4k AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

He said he ordered 4K tow pkg!
He said he ordered 4K tow pkg!!!

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
I have ordered a Maverick XL with the 4k towing package + AWD, and I am curious if I will need the AWD... I am a bare bones type of person and dont like to spend too much money on my cars (case and point, I drive a 2013 Ford Focus hatchback Manual, standard SE with no other options). I plan on towing a 2,000lb boat (for now, may go up to 3k in the next 10 years) and that's about it. Boat ramps around me are usually adequate and well used, so not too much junk on them.

What is your experience? FWD adequate? I have toyed with the idea of going to the XLT + 4k but not the AWD (savings would offset).
I’ll be the only want to say it! If you’re keeping it under 3000 pounds not consistently hitting steep up and down hills and driving less than 40 minutes towing w/front wheel drive is fine, if you need a little more traction on the boat ramp throw tiny pebbles, rabbit grain or Sand under the tires.

OP
OP
dldsm7

dldsm7

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ll be the only want to say it! If you’re keeping it under 3000 pounds not consistently hitting steep up and down hills and driving less than 40 minutes towing w/front wheel drive is fine, if you need a little more traction on the boat ramp throw tiny pebbles, rabbit grain or Sand under the tires.
I ended up going with AWD BUT am likely no longer getting a maverick. Family circumstances have changed since ordering 5 months ago. So if someone needs one....
Sponsored