First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat TREMOR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
fx4 wheels and tires alone are worth more than the cost. Subtract the overlap with 4k and you still get the bigger display, tow hooks and skid plates. I got it because the wheels look really, really good.
Yes, if you're not going for Lariat trim, XLT+FX4 is the way to go, massive gains for $800.

I chose the 4K towing but NOT FX4 because I didn't want to lose Eco/Sport mode and didn't need A/T tires. Plus the skid plate sounds annoying for oil changes.
Sponsored

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am going to disagree with you on this since an aftermarket transmission cooler is viable and economically cheaper second option to prolong the life of a transmission when not needing the extra tow capacity.
Until God forbid you encounter an transmission issue and the dealership spots an aftermarket cooler . Right or wrong, warranty claim issues will ensue.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The rear axle is also geared differently. 4k packages have a 3.81 gear ratio. Non 4k packages depending the engine either have a 3.63 gear ratio for ecoboost engines or a 2.91 gear ratio for hybrids.
However the 235 tires are taller than the 225's resulting in a final drive ratio more close to the non-4k package in the AWD trucks...

Champ

Banned
Banned
First Name
ML
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Miatas, Z06, Outback
Yes, if you're not going for Lariat trim, XLT+FX4 is the way to go, massive gains for $800.

I chose the 4K towing but NOT FX4 because I didn't want to lose Eco/Sport mode and didn't need A/T tires. Plus the skid plate sounds annoying for oil changes.
Yeah, you can drain oil [& coolant] much easier if you simply hit a "rubber alligator" without that pesky skid plate! Not like we see a lot of debris on our highways!

CSmith

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT FX4, 2020 F150 XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I may tow something every once in a while, but I got the 4K primarily for the upgraded gears and trans cooler. These are a must for me since I'm performance-driven on and off road, and even if the radiator and fan are the same as the FX4, it's worth it to me. Not gonna lie tho, it does bug me a little that there's no discount for bundling the packages.
Ford would like you to look at these bundles as providing a "free" radiator and cooling fan upgrade for choosing a bundle with the cost attributed solely for the other parts - skid plates, stickers, suspension for FX4 and transmission cooler, gearing, upgraded hitch for the 4k package.

Sponsored

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
However the 235 tires are taller than the 225's resulting in a final drive ratio more close to the non-4k package in the AWD trucks...

The 235 tires are due to off road. Need extra cushioning so you don't ruin rims. 17 in. vs 18 in rims. The final drive makes up for lack of Sport mode. Mine is hot, but according to speedometer I am averaging 24-25 mpg. around town. Goes up closer to 30mpg on short road trips. I have both fx4 and 4k tow pkgs. on a lariat lux. Town driving consists of 0-65 between lights about a mile apart. I did put in a K&N air filter. Did'nt seem to change mileage but seemed to give a slight boost on power. Lower gear ratio makes for a fun factory made machine, that at this point is within fuel specs for truck. I also have started using mid grade fuel. Has less ethanol than reg.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The 235 tires are due to off road. Need extra cushioning so you don't ruin rims. 17 in. vs 18 in rims. The final drive makes up for lack of Sport mode.
17" vs 18" wheels does not factor in, 18" wheels are not available on the FX4. That 'extra cushioning' is virtually non-existent at 1/3" LOL

The reality is that the black FX4 wheel / 235 tire combo is ~.6" taller than all other available wheel/tire combos available on the Maverick. Those (slightly) taller tires (mostly) offset the lower gear ratio on the 4k package.

And in terms % of ethanol for 'mid grade gas' If your gas station sells E10 mixes as an example (ie" 87-89-93), each of those contain 10% ethanol. The only difference is octane rating... Generally a station will sell the same ethanol mix (E10, E15) for all grades they sell.

Net/net, both the FX4 and the 4K tow packages are a great value.....

Last edited:

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
17" vs 18" wheels does not factor in, 18" wheels are not available on the FX4. That 'extra cushioning' is virtually non-existent at 1/3" LOL

The reality is that the black FX4 wheel / 235 tire combo is ~.6" taller than all other available wheel/tire combos available on the Maverick. Those (slightly) taller tires (mostly) offset the lower gear ratio on the 4k package.

And in terms % of ethanol for 'mid grade gas' If your gas station sells E10 mixes as an example (ie" 87-89-93), each of those contain 10% ethanol. The only difference is octane rating... Generally a station will sell the same ethanol mix (E10, E15) for all grades they sell.

Net/net, both the FX4 and the 4K tow packages are a great value.....

Fx4 has 17" rims other packages have 18" rims. the outer diameter comes out to be the same for either tire. The taller tire is put on 17" rims, thus the outer measurements are about the same. Only way to get larger diameter is to custom build and put larger tires and rims on. Most are also putting lift kits on with the larger tires.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

You don't automatically get 235 tires with a 4k package. You don't get 235 tires as an option period on an XL trim either. You get the standard 225/65 R17 Continental A/S tires. Same deal with the XLT. If you want the 235/65 R17 A/T tires you have to pay about ~$3000 more to switch the rims and tires or get them as part of the 1st edition package for 2.0L ecoboost engines. Far as I know you only get 225/65 R17 A/T tires with the FX4 package.

Sponsored

bak106

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT fx4
Yes, because of the transmission oil cooler. Yes the radiator and the fan are increased with just the FX4 package but the life blood of a transmission is the oil. Once the trany oil gets too hot you will lose a lot of its lubrication properties. Now, if you don’t need to tow more than 2k lbs then no, you don’t need the 4K towing package. I myself am getting FX4 and the 4K towing. I want to tow an off road style tear drop travel trailer.
1624411299690.jpeg
Without going into the boohoo me details, I thought I bought a fx4 with 4k. How ever, I didn't! If I add the transmission cooler and trailer break can I tow over 2000lbs?

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fx4 has 17" rims other packages have 18" rims. the outer diameter comes out to be the same for either tire. The taller tire is put on 17" rims, thus the outer measurements are about the same. Only way to get larger diameter is to custom build and put larger tires and rims on. Most are also putting lift kits on with the larger tires.
No, 235 tires are available on the AWD trucks with 17” wheels. Those are slightly taller and help offset the lower gearing in the 4K tow package.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You don't automatically get 235 tires with a 4k package. You don't get 235 tires as an option period on an XL trim either. You get the standard 225/65 R17 Continental A/S tires. Same deal with the XLT. If you want the 235/65 R17 A/T tires you have to pay about ~$3000 more to switch the rims and tires or get them as part of the 1st edition package for 2.0L ecoboost engines. Far as I know you only get 225/65 R17 A/T tires with the FX4 package.
The configuration has always shown the 235 tire/wheel package as a option on the FX4 and/or 4K tow.​
Sponsored