2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Most of the northwest can't use regular octane fuel since its 85. So have to consider that the maverick might actually hurt someone coming from a ~30mpg Asian car that can run 85.
Say what? Most pumps are 87/89/92 in WA.
Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
How about Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
At least on a personal note, after I pay off a car, I continue to pay a set amount into a separate account for repairs. Cuz lets face it; the more mileage a vehicle clicks off, the higher the chance is to have something that needs to be replaced.

So for me, if the hybrid battery kicks the bucket at 120,000 miles, I'd just pull money from that repair account rather than consider it negated from fuel savings. It'd be similar to, say, if I had an EcoBoost Maverick and the transmission imploded at 80,000 miles. I wouldn't add the price of that transmission repair to the amount I spent on gasoline.

I'd be more interested in a TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) report or estimate on a FWD EB versus a hybrid to see if and how the differences (major and minor) add up. For example, the hybrid has a high-voltage battery, but it also has regenerative braking, no accessory drive system, and a powertrain with fewer moving parts.

You pretty much summed up why I want a hybrid. It's good for 95% of my intended use. The last 5% can be made up by renting the necessary equipment. Fortunately I'm on the outskirts of a major metro area, so renting something on short notice is not a problem.

Even when I owned a 8.5x20' enclosed, it would've been cheaper for me to just rent a 3/4 ton truck to tow it ten times a year than what it cost me to own my '01 F-250. And I would've been driving a late-model diesel than my over-a-decade-old V10 gasser.
TCO is what I was getting at. There are more thigamajigs on a hybrid to break and they are all expensive. People focus on fuel costs but that's really only part of the picture. If the battery lasts 120k miles or if you sell it before it needs repairs it negates that, but then you pay for a new car.

I think battery prices will continue to drop and the calculations will continue to change for the better.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
TCO is what I was getting at. There are more thigamajigs on a hybrid to break and they are all expensive. People focus on fuel costs but that's really only part of the picture. If the battery lasts 120k miles or if you sell it before it needs repairs it negates that, but then you pay for a new car.

I think battery prices will continue to drop and the calculations will continue to change for the better.
There aren't, really. At least, the added "complexity" of the HEV helps to reduce basic wear and tear on the rational components (engine and brakes work less). Anyway, research shows HEV is better at TCO... Total cost of ownership and externalities of conventional, hybrid and electric vehicle - ScienceDirect

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There aren't, really. At least, the added "complexity" of the HEV helps to reduce basic wear and tear on the rational components (engine and brakes work less). Anyway, research shows HEV is better at TCO... Total cost of ownership and externalities of conventional, hybrid and electric vehicle - ScienceDirect
Yeah the hybrid parts are much simpler than an IC engine. Not sure I buy the notion that the IC engine in a hybrid will have fewer problems or is cheaper for the consumer in the long run. Studies like that necessarily have to make assumptions about the cost of externalities which are not necessarily correct in the long run.

Sponsored

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah the hybrid parts are much simpler than an IC engine. Not sure I buy the notion that the IC engine in a hybrid will have fewer problems or is cheaper for the consumer in the long run. Studies like that necessarily have to make assumptions about the cost of externalities which are not necessarily correct in the long run.
The externalities are pretty much a different cost assessment in the paper, but the table in the discussion shows their analysis breaks down pure TOC. Yes, there are assumptions in that as well, but I think there's empirical evidence over the past decade that hybrids have, at least, not been a significantly higher cost of ownership.

For example, here's another detailed and comprehensive study from 2021:
Comprehensive Total Cost of Ownership Quantification for Vehicles with Different Size Classes and Powertrains (anl.gov)
Page 27 has a good chart showing the 15 year per mile cost. HEVs are the lowest. That's interesting, because you'd expect the battery cost issue to be a factor after 15 years (admittedly, this includes prediction of costs through 2025). It's interesting because other than fuel, repair and maintenance costs are lower for HEVs compared to ICE, which supports that idea that the traditional components of the HEV drivetrain have less wear and tear (as does Ford's own maintenance schedule).

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape; 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
TCO and all the other calculations are non-issues for me. That said, MPG matters a lot and I'm a MPG conscious driver. Recently drove 5,000 miles cross country with my fully loaded 2018 Escape, from western flatlands to Appalachian mountains with cruise set at 73mph and averaged over 30mpg. My Maverick however, needs to be capable of towing a decent sized travel trailer so that becomes the issue of primary importance. As much as I would love to have the fuel economy of the hybrid I would have to sacrifice too much towing capacity, and based on what others have experienced I'm pretty sure I can come close the Escape MPG with the 2.0 under similar conditions even with 4k Tow and AWD.

On a side note, does anyone have experience with Race Chip products? Up to 20% improved MPG sounds intriguing to me.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
TCO and all the other calculations are non-issues for me. That said, MPG matters a lot and I'm a MPG conscious driver. Recently drove 5,000 miles cross country with my fully loaded 2018 Escape, from western flatlands to Appalachian mountains with cruise set at 73mph and averaged over 30mpg. My Maverick however, needs to be capable of towing a decent sized travel trailer so that becomes the issue of primary importance. As much as I would love to have the fuel economy of the hybrid I would have to sacrifice too much towing capacity, and based on what others have experienced I'm pretty sure I can come close the Escape MPG with the 2.0 under similar conditions even with 4k Tow and AWD.

On a side note, does anyone have experience with Race Chip products? Up to 20% improved MPG sounds intriguing to me.
What has impressed me the most about the maverick is that it can cater to two almost mutually exclusive crowds: the first is the efficiency conscious who are well served by the hybrid. The second is those who need the utility and power of an AWD with towing capacity who are well served by the ecoboost. Both groups get fantastic performance in an economical package at a fairly low price compared to other options on the market. Heck , the ecoboost is still fairly efficient and shines compared to some of the jumbo sized trucks on the market.

As for race chip, I'm intrigued too but would like to see some independent dyno testing.

shark978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
canyon
Engine
Undecided
I get 4100 and that's figuring $3.00 per MPG for gas. Currently it's more like 2.70-2.80 where I live in Texas, and who knows what the future holds.

That's definitely not worth it to me. It's a pittance really. Considering I drive ~12k miles per year, that's ~$400 per year. Almost any lifestyle change I make will overwhelm that. Or it's ~33 per month. Just some change in what I pay for home insurance or something can easily be a bigger monthly swing than that. Or when in yr 9 your mechanic says "you need a new hybrid battery, it's $5000" And I say "bububu, the guys on Maverick Truck club said it would be cheap by now!". That and 20 bucks will buy me dinner, and none of you will be posting here.

If you're really worried about gas savings run the numbers for a Tesla. I did and even then you cant make up the 10k-20k+ higher price of a Tesla in the first place vs just buying some 35 mpg Hyundai ICE for 20k. And I saw this YT of a couple talking about how it took 6 hrs to go to the girls parents in their tesla because you have to charge on the way, which i guess is like 45 minutes despite claims. In their Hyundai it was like a 4hr straight shot, no stopping. Whole lot easier to dump gas in a car.

Last edited:
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What about BATTERY REPLACEMENT cost??? :unsure:
🙄 What about carbon buildup cleaning? Turbo repair? Fluids? Belt replacement? Brake pads? (All of which are likely to cost more on Ecoboost)

It's all predicted.

The OP is correct, the hybrid should be cheaper to run long term. If something breaks on either, though, it'll end up costing that owner significantly more.

HybridOnOrder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to be: Maverick XLT, Lux PKG, Moonroof, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Welllll. Most card depreciate. Most of the time. Right now, not so much. Check out these used Maverick listings. 1. Lariet $48k+. 2. XL for $42k
And these are typical, at the moment.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I get 4100 and that's figuring $3.00 per MPG for gas. Currently it's more like 2.70-2.80 where I live in Texas, and who knows what the future holds.

That's definitely not worth it to me. It's a pittance really. Considering I drive ~12k miles per year, that's ~$400 per year. Almost any lifestyle change I make will overwhelm that. Or it's ~33 per month. Just some change in what I pay for home insurance or something can easily be a bigger monthly swing than that. Or when in yr 9 your mechanic says "you need a new hybrid battery, it's $5000" And I say "bububu, the guys on Maverick Truck club said it would be cheap by now!". That and 20 bucks will buy me dinner, and none of you will be posting here.

If you're really worried about gas savings run the numbers for a Tesla. I did and even then you cant make up the 10k-20k+ higher price of a Tesla in the first place vs just buying some 35 mpg Hyundai ICE for 20k. And I saw this YT of a couple talking about how it took 6 hrs to go to the girls parents in their tesla because you have to charge on the way, which i guess is like 45 minutes despite claims. In their Hyundai it was like a 4hr straight shot, no stopping. Whole lot easier to dump gas in a car.
WTF, it isn't about "gas savings", it's about total cost. Why would someone run the numbers for a vehicle that starts at over twice the cost of the Maverick, no crap they'll never make up the difference. The savings may be inconsequential to some (that's the case for us), but why would anybody pay extra for capability (more power, AWD) that they have no need for and don't otherwise value?

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When I was looking at cost of ownership I tried to figure in vehicle cost, fuel use, and some potential maintenance. There are too many variables to calculate exactly, and things will vary from driver to driver and vehicle to vehicle.

What I used as my data set was the EPA average combined MPG, the prices of options via Ford, and the replacement cost of a common hybrid battery near where I live. For that I chose the battery prices for a Prius, as they are pretty common. I feel that Mavericks will be very common soon as well.

I also looked at 100,000 miles as my yardstick for comparison purposes.

At 37 MPG the Hybrid would burn 2,703 gallons of fuel. At $3 a gallon $8,109, $4 a gallon 10,812, and $5 a gallon $13,515.

A 2 wheel drive ecoboost is rated at 26 MPG and would burn 3,846 gallons. At $3 a gallon $11,583, at $4 a gallon $15,346, and at $5 a gallon $19,230.

an AWD ecoboost is rated at 25 MPG and would burn 4,000 gallons. At $3 a gallon $12,000, at $4 a gallon $16,000, and at $5 a gallon $20,000.

The hybrid has a battery that may need changed at some point. Cost around here for a prius battery changeout is about $1,500 on average. I am using that as my basis, since I don't really have data thats Maverick specific.

The ecoboost 2 wheel drive has an additional charge of $1,085 up front.

An ecobost AWD has an additional charge of $3,305 ($4,390 including engine upgrade)

It all boils down to what you want or need really, and if the additional up front and operating costs justify the additional capabilities.

The Maverick really has found a sweet spot of performance and economy that can be configured to fit a lot of different peoples needs.

Years ago I had a short commute to work but lived up in Wisconsin when it snowed for several months out of the year. I also owned a fairly heavy boat and a camper that I towed about, as well as the trailer for the boy scout troop my son was in.

Now I live in Florida, no longer have the boat or camper and don't plan to get another. I only see snow on TV, don't go mudding or trail riding, and only really need a truck for occasional trips to the dump or Home Depot. I have never trailered my motorcycle, but it and my daughters together with the trailer come in at about 1,700 lbs, so doable without the 4K tow package if I ever choose to do so.

Years ago I'd have ordered an AWD ecoboost with the 4K tow package, now my needs have changed and I'm impatiently waiting for my hybrid.

If one needs the capabilities of the ecoboost then not getting it would be foolish, but if the hybrid can take care of what you need taken care of the long term savings seem pretty substantial to me.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Again, the cost savings are in comparison to the EB decision, and are mutually exclusive from any other financial decisions you make, so they are stackable (i.e., why not save on transportation and insurance expenses).
Sponsored