First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I learned that the trainer had come to Austin (8-9-21) in the evening. In looking at the pictures posted by "mrboom_5.0" I recognized the dealership as the same one that I ordered from. So Tuesday morning I went there to find out what other dealership he was scheduled to be at in town only to find that he had left Austin and would not be back until Friday. He said I could se it then and he kept his word.

I do not wish to go over what has already been said but simply relay a couple of things that are a bit different.

1. I have a Honda Insight as my Daily driver and also a Toyota Sequoia. The Insight I have to fall down into and climb up to extract myself from it. The Sequoia I have to climb up into and climb down. to get out of. To get into and out of the Maverick I just sit down and stand up. I am 5'9" and the process is totally effortless.

2. In looking at the front grill, the radiator seems massive and exposed to rocks etc. Upon inquiring I found out that there are louvers that open and shut according to the required temp. They close on starting the Maverick so the engine gets to operating temp quicker. He also showed me that there were bugs on the louvers but the radiator was absolutely spotless. That means they are partially open during operation to duct air properly and to protect the radiator a the same time.

This may be old news to many of you but I found the detail of this fascinating. But it makes me wonder how many other small details there are like this that are put in the category of not worth mentioning.

3. He also showed me the mpg usage, it was 32.9. THIS WAS AN AWD VEHICLE 2.0 Ecoboost. It is probably fully broken in knowing the territory he covers. But it makes me wonder if there is a real advantage in waiting for the hybrid? But if you do a lot of in-town driving, that 20%-25% approx. savings can add up.

The interior build is durable. I actually like the hard plastic because it is textured and has a quality feel to it, more like a non-padded hard leather. I think we are al going to find this vehicle to be like an easter egg with its unexpected small pleasures. The wait will be worth it.

Ford Maverick 4 Pics & 3 interesting items from Maverick visit -- Active grille shutters. 33mpg from AWD 2.0L Cyber Orange 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 1

Ford Maverick 4 Pics & 3 interesting items from Maverick visit -- Active grille shutters. 33mpg from AWD 2.0L Cyber Orange 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4

Ford Maverick 4 Pics & 3 interesting items from Maverick visit -- Active grille shutters. 33mpg from AWD 2.0L Cyber Orange 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 3

Ford Maverick 4 Pics & 3 interesting items from Maverick visit -- Active grille shutters. 33mpg from AWD 2.0L Cyber Orange 2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4
Sponsored

Last edited:

SpacemanSpiff

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tyreese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-15 Eagle
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Shark fin antenna... All Mavericks, or just Lariat?

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good Stuff, thanks for sharing!

was that ECO a FWD or AWD? 1 sometimes overlooked difference when comparing hybrid is no AWD option. The AWD gives you much better IRS to go along with more power and the decent hwy MPG.

OP
OP
hcforde

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

was that ECO a FWD or AWD? 1 sometimes overlooked difference when comparing hybrid is no AWD option. The AWD gives you much better IRS to go along with more power and the decent hwy MPG.

it was an AWD!!! - THANKS I CORRECTED THAT INFO IN THE ORIGINAL POST

asel3121

First Name
Asel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro
Engine
Undecided
3. He also showed me the mpg usage, it was 32.9 This is a 2.0 Ecoboost. It is probably fully broken in knowing the territory he covers. But it makes me wonder if there is a real advantage in waiting for the hybrid? But if you do a lot of in-town driving, that 20%-25% approx. savings can add up.
Thanks for sharing. I've seen other posts also mentioning Ecoboost getting over 30mpg and I really wish this had been more widely known before I ordered the hybrid in July. A truck that gets comparable fuel efficiency to my dinky Chevy Spark? Sign me up!

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Cruze
I am very happy I went with the EcoBoost hearing these things. Even if the sheet that is floating around with 22/29 listed is true, that is still an improvement over my alternatives. I would much rather suck a bit more gas in town as a trade-off to good hwy mpg, and still being able to tow a bit more and have the muscle to show out with my vehicle. My current car averages 32, so taking between a 4-6 mpg hit seems okay to me for 4k towing, a bed, and some good styling.

I live up in Wisconsin so AWD is a nice 'insurance' policy on traction. This shoehorned me into leaning toward the 2.0T, and then Fx4 and 4k are only 1.5k together, so to deck out my XLT wasn't too bad. The Santa Cruz I was comparing against is 4k more before dealer markup. The Tonneau, roof racks, and warranty start making up the price difference, but the MPG from the test drive was lucky to break 18 mpg. I was goosing it a bit, but still. Ouch...

Thanks for sharing. I've seen other posts also mentioning Ecoboost getting over 30mpg and I really wish this had been more widely known before I ordered the hybrid in July. A truck that gets comparable fuel efficiency to my dinky Chevy Spark? Sign me up!
Note: The sad thing is anyone switching to a EB from a Hybrid that isn't scheduled already will probably jump to the front of the line.

OP
OP
hcforde

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Sneezy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes S500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep in mind the 4K tow package equipped trucks, which that window sticker looked like it was will have a towing final drive ratio, whereas standard AWD have more of a ‘highway’ final drive ratio

Shecster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1930 Model A Ford - 1971 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Old Ranchero -
Nice Avatar as it shows it’s original California heritage with the black & yellow plate. Hope you kept one of those when it was moved out of its home state. ✔🇺🇸
All the best to you.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y

I feel like the fx4 decal on the bedside gives this away

Husker68007

First Name
First Sergeant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX, 2019 Ram, 2009 XL1200C, 1992 Mustang GT
I could be wrong on this but i believe the active shutters in the grill only close at a certain speed to help to direct airflow for gas mileage. Not to help warm up. At least that was the case with my hybrid Tahoe.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
RE: Active grille shutters

Older article from https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/ac...re-latest-way-to-improve-fuel-efficiency.html about Ford's implementation:

"When they're open, the shutters allow air to flow through the radiator and into the engine compartment, as usual, to promote cooling. But when that cooling air is not needed, the shutters close, rerouting air around the vehicle to lessen aerodynamic drag and reduce fuel consumption. As an added bonus, closed shutters also reduce warm-up time in cold weather."
Sponsored