Anyone switch from a Raptor? Considering a AWD 2.0L

srw788

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor SCAB & 2020 Model Y Performance ance
Looking for input from others, I currently have a 2017 Raptor SCAB and a Model Y Performance. My wife and I both WFH so the Raptor is essentially just a utility vehicle for mild offloading when hunting or going to the Outer Bank, NC or other beach driving. Of course the Raptor is nice when weather is worse off.

The Raptor is the vehicle that needs to go, I enjoy it, certainly is a dream truck, but it is too expensive and just sits outside, being driven once a month to ensure it doesn't rot away where it is parked. It is also at 67k miles and I quasi worry about cam phaser issues.

So the question goes to anyone here who may have super downsized. I still want a truck for the typical truck stuff, but I also know the Raptor is more toy than work truck. Yard work, the occasional appliance or larger item, etc.

My major concern is beach driving capabilities, that is a multiple time a year deal, we typically rent a house in the 4wd area of the beach which requires about 30 minutes of beach driving to get to the place. It would be about 300lbs of people, 70lbs of dogs, and a week's worth of clothes and beach stuff. Cakewalk for the Raptor, but not sure about a non-locking AWD on less ridiculous tires.

The other concern is real world MPG. Part of this switch also focuses on that. I currently get 14-17 depending on fuel blend, sometimes 20+ on a nice backroad summer. We will still primarily drive the Tesla, but 30 MPG from the Maverick would mean some of our ~180 mile trips to the in-laws would be in the truck without the need for a few super charging stops.

So thoughts? Don't need to make the change, but if I can get $45-50k for the Raptor and grab a Maverick for mid $30s I'd consider that a financial win and reduction in risk of the Raptor's cam Phasers having issues.
Sponsored

mr_M0J0rzn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well I have a hybrid, but my real world mpg is really close to the estimated. I get 37/38 on most tanks with a lot of interstate driving. I believe eco boost ppl are getting mid to upper 20s. Clearance may be an issue on beach driving. Plenty of cab space for ppl, dogs and things so no worries there. The other issue is finding a maverick that has the specs u want with a markup that you can live with.

OP
OP

srw788

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply @mr_M0J0rzn.

Yea, finding anything without stupid markup will be an issue, good input on the space. The SCAB on the Raptor is passable, certainly as spacious as the past SCREW cabs I have had though. But, just two adults, no kids in the future, not an issue.

Good info on mileage as well, the only vehicle I have never gotten close to the rated on is the Tesla, just never happening, even after switching to more fuel efficient weehls/tires.

I see a few local Mavericks, Lariat AWD, that have Window Sticker prices, will have to call to see if they are being stupid. At least the local dealerships aren't hiding their $20k markups on $30k trucks.

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You’re already into the Raptor, for the 15k difference, keep it. Besides it’s your dream truck. Can’t even come close to a comparison.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
the maverick is not anywhere near apples to apples comparison for a raptor :cautious: however if you don't actually need a locking axle for your mild off-roading beach drive then yes the FX4 package has a few other modes to help traction (can also be implemented through forscan upgrading all modes into all trims). i myself love my little truck & have been very pleased in some heavy snow situations with the capabilities and yes a lot better fuel economy than you currently are getting but definitely not a comparable vehicle in my opinion.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I say downsize it. When my husband and I transitioned to WFH in early 2020, we had our dream garage. A Mercedes E-class and a Porsche Macan. They just sat.. and sat.. and sat.. it really makes no financial sense to keep an expensive vehicle as a decoration.

A deer relieved us of the E-class, and we sold the Macan. We now drive much more reasonable vehicles - The Genesis replaced the Macan and the Maverick will replace the Elantra.

Mike

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sand Mode on the FX4 trim should get you there based on some vids I've seen of guys using it in deep powdery snow.

I have a KR 4X4 F150 that the Mav will replace as my highway cruiser. Should be a much smoother and more pleasant ride with the unibody and Adaptive cruise. Under no illusions that the Active X interior will be even close to the KR leather though. lol

OP
OP

srw788

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the maverick is not anywhere near apples to apples comparison for a raptor :cautious:
Yea, 100% understand that. I jumped from a Tacoma to a Raptor and I know the Maverick is even smaller.

But, the Maverick that I actually drive is superior to the Raptor that is a lawn ornament. The only issue is that the Outer Banks, while passable in my BIL's Outback, can also bog down a jacked F-250 fully loaded down with people and each gear. Beach driving is its own skillet, so that is my big concern, how the stocks wheels/tires handle it.

I have also used ForScan extensively on my Raptor so good info regarding the lower trims. Won't bother with a F 4 at that point, save even more money.

@MLowe05 That is our thoughts exactly. The Tesla can be the fun vehicle until a Mach-e or equivalent makes seasonable replacement. The Raptor could be better used by someone else. Also, the ~$10k value difference is the budget of a dream trip my wife has been planning since the before times.

cormiermc

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
to get my maverick i gave back a ram 1500 with the v6 3.6l. my maverick (2.0 ecoboost) feel quicker and way lighter then the ram. i won't go back on that trade (even more now that the gas price increase here in canada). as long as your aware that the maverick can't be compared to the raptor it might be worth it

Dun4791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy,dodge, ford,vw,honda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yea, 100% understand that. I jumped from a Tacoma to a Raptor and I know the Maverick is even smaller.

But, the Maverick that I actually drive is superior to the Raptor that is a lawn ornament. The only issue is that the Outer Banks, while passable in my BIL's Outback, can also bog down a jacked F-250 fully loaded down with people and each gear. Beach driving is its own skillet, so that is my big concern, how the stocks wheels/tires handle it.

I have also used ForScan extensively on my Raptor so good info regarding the lower trims. Won't bother with a F 4 at that point, save even more money.

@MLowe05 That is our thoughts exactly. The Tesla can be the fun vehicle until a Mach-e or equivalent makes seasonable replacement. The Raptor could be better used by someone else. Also, the ~$10k value difference is the budget of a dream trip my wife has been planning since the before times.
Then drive the raptor?

Sponsored

Twixel Jackson

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I say go for the maverick. If it doesnt do what you want for your beach trip, rent a full size 4 wheel drive truck for that particular trip. I have a 2019 F150 4x4 and once my maverick arrives, if there are certain tasks it wont perform my plan is to stack a bunch of tasks for a particular week and rent the bigger truck if needed.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking for input from others, I currently have a 2017 Raptor SCAB and a Model Y Performance. My wife and I both WFH so the Raptor is essentially just a utility vehicle for mild offloading when hunting or going to the Outer Bank, NC or other beach driving. Of course the Raptor is nice when weather is worse off.

The Raptor is the vehicle that needs to go, I enjoy it, certainly is a dream truck, but it is too expensive and just sits outside, being driven once a month to ensure it doesn't rot away where it is parked. It is also at 67k miles and I quasi worry about cam phaser issues.

So the question goes to anyone here who may have super downsized. I still want a truck for the typical truck stuff, but I also know the Raptor is more toy than work truck. Yard work, the occasional appliance or larger item, etc.

My major concern is beach driving capabilities, that is a multiple time a year deal, we typically rent a house in the 4wd area of the beach which requires about 30 minutes of beach driving to get to the place. It would be about 300lbs of people, 70lbs of dogs, and a week's worth of clothes and beach stuff. Cakewalk for the Raptor, but not sure about a non-locking AWD on less ridiculous tires.

The other concern is real world MPG. Part of this switch also focuses on that. I currently get 14-17 depending on fuel blend, sometimes 20+ on a nice backroad summer. We will still primarily drive the Tesla, but 30 MPG from the Maverick would mean some of our ~180 mile trips to the in-laws would be in the truck without the need for a few super charging stops.

So thoughts? Don't need to make the change, but if I can get $45-50k for the Raptor and grab a Maverick for mid $30s I'd consider that a financial win and reduction in risk of the Raptor's cam Phasers having issues.
Yea that makes sense you could buy 2 XL Hybrids and have money leftover! Starting price of the Ranger Raptor is 52K🤣
Sponsored