First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I removed the hard tri fold from my order due it being a constraint plus I have no idea which cover is going to work best for me when the truck actually gets here
I removed the tonneau cover too for the same reason (about 9 or 10 days ago) got the VIN number today (not a build date yet) and I ordered my Wife’s like yours (w The Luxury Package & same color too) but with a Moon Roof and the Ford360. So I have a VIN Number, that must mean it’s being previewed for production. I figure it’ll come mid December if, as it appears, they’re scheduling Nov 1 and beyond. Good luck too, I think that Hot Pepper Red is gonna really stand out.
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It goes for roughly $990 directly from Bakflip for the F-150, which has a bed about 1 ft longer than the Maverick does. The rollup for the Maverick, should you choose to purchase directly from Ford, comes in at $1,160. Assuming the Rollup directly from Bakflip ends up being around ~$900-
30% of 900 is 270.
270+900=$1,170. Pretty close. Does anyone know if bakflip has actually announced the price for the Maverick roll-up?
Yes check their website or tonneau world. Tons of options are already listed and priced out there.

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It goes for roughly $990 directly from Bakflip for the F-150, which has a bed about 1 ft longer than the Maverick does. The rollup for the Maverick, should you choose to purchase directly from Ford, comes in at $1,160. Assuming the Rollup directly from Bakflip ends up being around ~$900-
30% of 900 is 270.
270+900=$1,170. Pretty close. Does anyone know if bakflip has actually announced the price for the Maverick roll-up?
Looking at the Ford Ranger short bed hard rollup its listed as $1,093 after tax shipped and not installed:
https://bakflip.com/p/bak-revolver-x2-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2021/

Ford charges $1,160 MSRP + 6.25% of the difference between the Maverick and your trade-in (so probably $1200 after tax), so either way pinching pennies at this point and won't make a big difference as you're basically paying $100 for piece of mind that its installed with a better/easier/longer warranty and can be financed with the rest of the vehicle.

I could understand removing it if in a rush and it affects your build date, but otherwise pricing is very competitive and I'm in no rush as I want to see IIHS ratings and reviews comparing the vehicles before digging in my purse.

Zxdiac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Volt, 2016 Jeep Renegade, 2000 Montero
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking at the Ford Ranger short bed hard rollup its listed as $1,093 after tax shipped and not installed:
https://bakflip.com/p/bak-revolver-x2-tonneau-cover/v/ford/ranger/2021/

Ford charges $1,160 MSRP + 6.25% of the difference between the Maverick and your trade-in (so probably $1200 after tax), so either way pinching pennies at this point and won't make a big difference as you're basically paying $100 for piece of mind that its installed with a better/easier/longer warranty and can be financed with the rest of the vehicle.

I could understand removing it if in a rush and it affects your build date, but otherwise pricing is very competitive and I'm in no rush as I want to see IIHS ratings and reviews comparing the vehicles before digging in my purse.
You're paying sales tax from the dealer too, no? But I see your point. It looks like it'll be $988.88 directly from Bak as well (according to their website). I was making the incorrect assumption that it would be cheaper than the F-150s. So it'll be a savings of $181.12 if you buy it directly from them - before taxes. It's not a very difficult install, and I'd likely feel confident in my ability to install it, but you are totally right, just the fact that it can be financed along with the truck makes it a very competitive ask. I'm going to take another long hard look at it.

Mainer500

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 STX, 2016 Ford Fiesta SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I removed the hard tri fold from my order due it being a constraint plus I have no idea which cover is going to work best for me when the truck actually gets here
Don’t forget we can get the same ones from our dealership. They might (probably will) charge us to put it on if we can’t but it’s what they would have put on when it was built And it’s the same price and they can order it now too. Long MacArthur already has a few in stock with some with a customer’s name they stuck on the box. Cool

Sponsored

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Y’all are making spreadsheets?

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you considered the Nissan Frontier? If you do towing you may want to consider it as an option. I am getting one for towing,and a Maverick hybrid for in-town use.

Nissan Frontier model S king cab $27,840 Tow Capacity 6720
Nissan Frontier model S crew cab $29,340
Nissan Frontier model SV king cab $30, 540
Nissan Frontier model SV crew cab $32,140

All trims have 310 HP 281 ft/lb torque starting at 6720 towing capacity - when towing fuel economy will be better that with the 2.0EB.

The Technology package cost $990 an consist of
Intelligent Cruise Control
Lane Departure Warning
Blind Spot Warning
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Rear Sonar System
Rear Automatic Braking
High Beam Assist
Destination $1175

These items are standard for the King Cab S trim - they differ with other trim levels

3.8-liter Direct Injection Gasoline (DIG) DOHC 24-valve V6 engine​
9-speed automatic transmission​
Dana Rear Axel​
Front and rear vented disc brakes​
Cruise control​
Intelligent Forward Collision Warning[3]​
Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection[4]​
RearView Monitor[8]​
Trailer Sway Control[13]​
16" Styled steel wheels​
Full-length, fully boxed ladder frame​
Rear access doors​
Air conditioning​
In-cabin microfilter​
Power windows with driver’s one-touch auto-down​
Remote Keyless Entry with Push Button Ignition​
6-way manual driver’s seat​
4-way manual front-passenger’s seat​
Forward-facing rear flip-up seats​
7" Advanced Drive-Assist® Display[20]​
NissanConnect® 8" color touch-screen display[21]​
Apple CarPlay® integration[21]​
Android Auto™ compatibility[21]​
AM/FM audio system with six speakers​

OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you considered the Nissan Frontier? If you do towing you may want to consider it as an option. I am getting one for towing,and a Maverick hybrid for in-town use.
I'm upgrading from a Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L with a 7.5K lb tow rating because I don't tow anything that heavy anymore, and the ingress/egress of a body on frame vehicle is a PITA for elderly passengers I sometimes ferry and the 17mpg average fuel economy is pretty abysmal. The Frontier really wouldn't be an upgrade on any of that as it still has that body on frame higher step height and the fuel economy improvement is too small IMO and I'd be giving up leather heated and ventilated dual power seats w/ lumbar, dual automatic climate, forward camera, hemi growl, rambox cargo management system, etc.
Ford Maverick ~$30K Utility Vehicles Compared: Maverick vs Santa Cruz and Tucson - Specs & Pricing Capture2.JPG

For yourself, depreciation is the highest cost of ownership of any vehicle, so I'm not sure how purchasing two vehicles would make economic sense unless its for two different people so you need two vehicles anyway. Any money saved on gas on the Maverick would otherwise be lost in its annual depreciation.

For example, this is the estimated five year cost of ownership for a Ford Escape, and $21K worth of fuel during that time period is pretty massive:
Ford Maverick ~$30K Utility Vehicles Compared: Maverick vs Santa Cruz and Tucson - Specs & Pricing Capture.JPG

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have owned a 2010 Frontier, 2015 Colorado and 2020 Ranger. All are similar in size, towing capabilities and fuel mileage. Obviously options can make a difference but basically pick which one you like. All three have their followers.
I changed and went with the Maverick because it is smaller, easier ingress, egress, better mileage, cost, easier to park, etc, etc. Yes the Maverick tows less and if you need to do some serious towing its probably not the truck for you. I haven't seen any real numbers on Maverick mileage while towing but don't expect them to be terrible. No pickup gets great mileage towing so not a big concern for me. Diesels do the best towing but a waste of another $10k for a guy who tows from 1% to 3% of annual mileage. For me that 1% to 3% is important so will cough up the extra money for the 2.0 AWD and 4K and still get a pickup for well under $30K.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Got me really considering the Tucson now!
Yeah one advantage it has is that when you fold the seats down, you actually have a very large covered volume, while the vehicle can stay very short for parking ease.

The downside is that if you have to pick people or cargo. With a Maverick, you can pick up four people from the airport, and strap down all their luggage in the back (can even stack it super high if you use a cargo net). With the Tucson, your trunk is decent but not quite as huge anymore if you can't fold the seats.

The other challenge is that if you're doing a garden center run and loading dirty/smelly things, you'd need to rent a small trailer for the day or if its very small and reasonably light you can probably get away with a hitch basket, and of course for that stuff you'll have to have a hitch installed and purchased and wired as an extra expense since they don't sell it factory. I'd guess another $500 installed would be reasonable for a Curt one.

Definitely pros and cons w/ the different body type. I didn't add the Escape to the list even though its basically the crossover version of the Maverick as I'm just not fond of the lines. The Bronco Sport I find very attractive, but I don't like the 1.5T and to get the better 2.0T you have to step up to badlands and were in like $37K territory when I built mine out IIRC.

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Did I make a mistake on the spreadsheet?

The build is a XLT with Luxury Package and the CoPilot 360. Most of the categories were copied and pasted from the Hyundai site, and then I checked if the Maverick also had a similar feature.
Hi,
If you are comparing small SUVs the Subaru Forester might be worth a look. I never thought about Subaru’s but it has become a good value starting below $25K. The forester has a surprisingly amount of room.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have owned a 2010 Frontier, 2015 Colorado and 2020 Ranger. All are similar in size, towing capabilities and fuel mileage. Obviously options can make a difference but basically pick which one you like. All three have their followers.
I changed and went with the Maverick because it is smaller, easier ingress, egress, better mileage, cost, easier to park, etc, etc. Yes the Maverick tows less and if you need to do some serious towing its probably not the truck for you. I haven't seen any real numbers on Maverick mileage while towing but don't expect them to be terrible. No pickup gets great mileage towing so not a big concern for me. Diesels do the best towing but a waste of another $10k for a guy who tows from 1% to 3% of annual mileage. For me that 1% to 3% is important so will cough up the extra money for the 2.0 AWD and 4K and still get a pickup for well under $30K.

I looked at the towing with the 2.0EB in user groups. It is abysmal on cars. therefore it would be worse on the areodynamics of a truck. it was between 11-16 mpg. But for 1-3% no big deal though.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I looked at the towing with the 2.0EB in user groups. It is abysmal on cars. therefore it would be worse on the areodynamics of a truck. it was between 11-16 mpg. But for 1-3% no big deal though.
You may be correct but think it will be a little better. I need some hard numbers not interpolation from other 2.0 user groups. My 20 Ranger had the 2.3 EB and got the best mileage (towing and non towing) of the 3 mid size trucks I owned, the other two were normally aspirated V6's but that doesn't mean everyone else will get the same results.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm upgrading from a Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7L with a 7.5K lb tow rating because I don't tow anything that heavy anymore, and the ingress/egress of a body on frame vehicle is a PITA for elderly passengers I sometimes ferry and the 17mpg average fuel economy is pretty abysmal. The Frontier really wouldn't be an upgrade on any of that as it still has that body on frame higher step height and the fuel economy improvement is too small IMO and I'd be giving up leather heated and ventilated dual power seats w/ lumbar, dual automatic climate, forward camera, hemi growl, rambox cargo management system, etc.
Capture2.JPG

For yourself, depreciation is the highest cost of ownership of any vehicle, so I'm not sure how purchasing two vehicles would make economic sense unless its for two different people so you need two vehicles anyway. Any money saved on gas on the Maverick would otherwise be lost in its annual depreciation.

For example, this is the estimated five year cost of ownership for a Ford Escape, and $21K worth of fuel during that time period is pretty massive:
Capture.JPG
The gas mileage on the 2022 Frontier is 20 Combined, 18 City, and 24 Highway. But if you are not towing anything I see where you are coming from. I live in Texas but will be buying some blueberry farms in Michigan. This is land only so I am also buying an travel trailer(2022 prices have gone up dramatically) to live in and take weekend excursions with. I will also use the Frontier to haul blueberries to Farmers Markets and other destinations with a refrigerated cargo trailer. In the Fall, when I come back to Texas (Austin area), the Maverick will suit the most of my driving needs. I was initially considering leaving the Frontier and the trailer in Michigan and that would save me driving 2400 miles yearly. But then I could not take week long trips to see the rest of the southern states. after a year or two, I may have seen all I wish to see and leave them in Michigan.

Economically, this is the best time to buy 2 new trucks. The Frontier will be tax deductible. The shortages are not going to end any time soon and that will create inflation. We have a rubber shortage that no one is talking about, as well as a foam shortage looming. That equates to fewer tires and car seats. Copper has gone through the roof. Scrap copper has doubled in price. The Maverick needs copper more than conventional cars. Subsequent years will see an increase in the sticker price. This is the last/only year of the sub $20,000 Maverick. That is why I am getting 2 new trucks.
Sponsored

Last edited: