Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Go check out the SC owners manual.
2022 Santa Cruz Owners Manual (hyundaiusa.com)
When I test-sat and did a look-see at a SC locally last week, I specifically looked at the bed area to see if it had any warning labels etc about the so-called "~660 lb. max. load capacity" for the composite bed that many sites reference. Nada.
I had earlier looked at the SC online owners manual to see if specifically mentioned anything about that - you'd think that would be a pretty important limitation to flag, yes? - but again nothing - however....
1) Lots of early general info referenced the "~1700 lb+ max. possible payload" of the SC - so you'd expect the yellow door sticker to be somewhere in the 1500-1700 lb range (depending on trim level) - but the Limited SC I looked at has an actual payload capacity of only 1411 lb (less than a Maverick XLT hybrid).
five.jpg

2) Strangely, the SC owners manual (Vehicle Load Limit section) does mention 1411 lbs as a max. load for either 2wd or AWD. And that unusual mention of "Warning! Cargo should never exceed 661 lbs" got me wondering if maybe the composite bed does really have a low load limit due to its Ridgeline-like bed trunk.
sc load.JPG

Of course I asked the Hyundai sales type about all this but her was clueless. So I'm still wondering...
So they’re right... it’s not a truck😁
Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maybe I missed something, but the base Santa Cruz comes with a lot of stuff (no bed liner needed, more driver safety features, remote mirrors, built-in tonneau/or not) that I would have to pay extra for on the Maverick.
You did not miss anything and this is absolutely correct. In addition, Santa cruz has some features you cannot even dream of getting in in a maverick.

I should have been clearer. In a vacuum, I would pay 39k for a Santa cruz even though it is more than I had anticipated the price would be. But when presented with a choice between "all this good sh*t for 39k" and "okay for 26k but at 40mpg", the cheap skate in me gravitated to the Mav.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Go check out the SC owners manual.
2022 Santa Cruz Owners Manual (hyundaiusa.com)
When I test-sat and did a look-see at a SC locally last week, I specifically looked at the bed area to see if it had any warning labels etc about the so-called "~660 lb. max. load capacity" for the composite bed that many sites reference. Nada.
I had earlier looked at the SC online owners manual to see if specifically mentioned anything about that - you'd think that would be a pretty important limitation to flag, yes? - but again nothing - however....
1) Lots of early general info referenced the "~1700 lb+ max. possible payload" of the SC - so you'd expect the yellow door sticker to be somewhere in the 1500-1700 lb range (depending on trim level) - but the Limited SC I looked at has an actual payload capacity of only 1411 lb (less than a Maverick XLT hybrid).
five.jpg

2) Strangely, the SC owners manual (Vehicle Load Limit section) does mention 1411 lbs as a max. load for either 2wd or AWD. And that unusual mention of "Warning! Cargo should never exceed 661 lbs" got me wondering if maybe the composite bed does really have a low load limit due to its Ridgeline-like bed trunk.
sc load.JPG

Of course I asked the Hyundai sales type about all this but her was clueless. So I'm still wondering...
I think this page gives a pretty clear answer. Since Hyundai has self proclaimed the Santa Cruz as not a truck, they certainly aren't going to call the back a bed.

Only trucks have beds!

Thus, the back of the Santa Cruz is a cargo area. The cargo area shouldn't exceed 661lbs, per that document. If you want to call it a truck with a bed, the bed will only take 661lbs.

Hyundai would prefer you say the sport adventure vehicle's cargo area(tm) can hold 661lbs.

I have spoken 🤣

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You did not miss anything and this is absolutely correct. In addition, Santa cruz has some features you cannot even dream of getting in in a maverick.

I should have been clearer. In a vacuum, I would pay 39k for a Santa cruz even though it is more than I had anticipated the price would be. But when presented with a choice between "all this good sh*t for 39k" and "okay for 26k but at 40mpg", the cheap skate in me gravitated to the Mav.
So it was just ok enough to order one!?

That is the most disinterested I've ever heard someone be about a new vehicle they are buying... And I have bought about 20 cars and trucks in my 43 years on this earth!

I mean the Santa Cruz has some neat stuff, but nothing I dream about. I dream about a Porsche, or a Ferrari. Not about piano black infotainment centers 😁

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So it was just ok enough to order one!?

That is the most disinterested I've ever heard someone be about a new vehicle they are buying... And I have bought about 20 cars and trucks in my 43 years on this earth!

I mean the Santa Cruz has some neat stuff, but nothing I dream about. I dream about a Porsche, or a Ferrari. Not about piano black infotainment centers 😁
Lol ya this isn't really the type of vehicle I am passionate about; but it is a good fit and also a great value. I basically told myself (and my wife) hey look I am saving $x on getting this instead of the hyundai so don't be shocked if you see a project miata or Honda or something show up later on :p

Edit to add: i think I am passionate about the value here though, and I am interested enough in this truck to be on this forum :p I love cars/trucks in general and am going to be very happy to take delivery of the Maverick

Last edited:

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lol ya this isn't really the type of vehicle I am passionate about; but it is a good fit and also a great value. I basically told myself (and my wife) hey look I am saving $x on getting this instead of the hyundai so don't be shocked if you see a project miata or Honda or something show up later on :p

Edit to add: i think I am passionate about the value here though, and I am interested enough in this truck to be on this forum :p I love cars/trucks in general and am going to be very happy to take delivery of the Maverick
I am not that different - I tend to find my way to car forums when I really like a particular car I have owned or will own! Honda element - loved that car, always on the element owners club forums...owned one on 4 occasions!

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry. But this is easy....buy Mexican oops I mean american!

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry. But this is easy....buy Mexican oops I mean american!
It is hard to tell what's domestic and what isn't in this globalist economy. The Ford was designed by Hau Thai-Tang's team and built in Mexico, and the Hyundai was designed by Californian Brad Arnold's team and built in Alabama. 🙃

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If Hyundai would: Also offer a hybrid version, lop about $3K off the price, and offer a more base version without the flash of the current showing, the Santa Cruz would be more on par with the Maverick and the targeted buyer. I like the unique styling of the Santa Cruz, (I have no need to have that "truck-like" look some seem to demand), but if I'm going to buy a new vehicle I want something fuel-efficient and that feels like new tech, not just another ICE vehicle.

I'm also disappointed to hear Ford will prioritize the Ecoboost ICE version at dealerships. Let's go all-in Ford. Lead the way with hybrid and all-electric vehicles and make them readily available to buyers, not just a special orders-only thing.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Little late to reply, but I'll play - but I will first stipulate that I don't like the Hyundai, and I've ordered a Maverick - for full disclosure.

If you are comparing apples to oranges - Maverick to Santa Cruz - and your purchases for some reason depends on which is the most 'American' of the two, good luck! Maybe your decision is based on where the engineers were located when the truck was designed? Engineers are paid a short term to work on a vehicle's design, with some small corrective followup - employees at the manufacturing plant, in some opinions, are a better assessment than engineering team's physical location. For one, there are far more people employed to build these things compared to the number of engineers, and for a much longer duration (usually) measured in years. The Santa Cruz is built in Montgomery, Alabama - maybe that's a deciding factor in how 'American' a vehicle is? Perhaps where the money ends up is more important? Ford, headquartered in the US, it could be argued that "hey, at least my money is going to a US company!", and that's as fair as any other statement, I suppose. In the end, any of these arguments that are posited are used to make the 'self' feel more at ease and to convince the ego that the right and just decision was made for whatever 'team' you have decided to affiliate with. In the current global supply chain of manufacturing, it is impossible to find a vehicle that is currently "All American". Just look at the current chip shortage problem to verify that statement.
Not what I am saying at all. Supply chains have been regional/global for decades.

If you think that the engineering teams are released after the product launches, you don't understand the product management lifecycle. I was a hardware product manager for large IT company with factories in the US. While the engineering team may not be as large as during a new product launch, there are constant modifications and changes while the product is in production, as well as changes and upgrades during the product lifecycle. Some of these changes are to reduce production complexity, others to reduce cost, and others to improve the performance of the product over the lifecycle. Engineers are involved every step of the way.

One must look at the value-add of the various positions in the product value chain (that's how VAT is calculated in the countries that collect it). My partner used to work at the BMW plant in South Carolina (the biggest BMW factory in the world). If I compare salaries of engineers vs. line workers, it is 2-3X the value.

This also requires one look at a the country of origin of the major subcomponents of the product as well, not just final assembly location.

Finally, to a point I made and you did as well; to which country are profits being repatriated is a major factor. Money from earnings flows through the economy of the home country when the earnings are repatriated.

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If Hyundai would: Also offer a hybrid version, lop about $3K off the price, and offer a more base version without the flash of the current showing, the Santa Cruz would be more on par with the Maverick and the targeted buyer. I like the unique styling of the Santa Cruz, (I have no need to have that "truck-like" look some seem to demand), but if I'm going to buy a new vehicle I want something fuel-efficient and that feels like new tech, not just another ICE vehicle.

I'm also disappointed to hear Ford will prioritize the Ecoboost ICE version at dealerships. Let's go all-in Ford. Lead the way with hybrid and all-electric vehicles and make them readily available to buyers, not just a special orders-only thing.
Ford's already doing that. They are building the largest battery factory in the world right here in America.

Farley has already leaked that they are working on all-electric versions of the 2023 Ranger as well as potentially the Mav..

And then we have this... they are already planning to double production capacity for the F-150 Lightening..
https://www.yahoo.com/now/ford-f-150-lightning-production-165200740.html

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Which are the features you can't dream of getting in the Mav exactly? 🤔

I can name several you can't dream of getting in the SC... so I'm still trying to figure out "all this good sh*t for 39k" that you're talking about..

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
It is hard to tell what's domestic and what isn't in this globalist economy. The Ford was designed by Hau Thai-Tang's team and built in Mexico, and the Hyundai was designed by Californian Brad Arnold's team and built in Alabama. 🙃
Are you trying ot tell me that Hau Thai-Tang can't be an American? 🤔

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Which are the features you can't dream of getting in the Mav exactly? 🤔

I can name several you can't dream of getting in the SC... so I'm still trying to figure out "all this good sh*t for 39k" that you're talking about..
Glad that your life is so full where your Friday is spent replying to month-old posts. These fords aren't going to sell themselves i guess ;) i hope your business is going well.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Glad that your life is so full where your Friday is spent replying to month-old posts. These fords aren't going to sell themselves i guess ;) i hope your business is going well.
Nice deflection tactic… 🤦🏼‍♂️
Sponsored