First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alex has been in love with the Maverick since it came out. But he won't buy one because he loves the hybrid but needs AWD. So he's on the list of those waiting for an AWD Hybrid.

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Alex has been in love with the Maverick since it came out. But he won't buy one because he loves the hybrid but needs AWD. So he's on the list of those waiting for an AWD Hybrid.
If 2025 revamp doesn't bring that drive train it may mean those waiting for it have a very long wait coming.

Why not buy a hybrid now or AWD Eco, per your individual greater need, then trade up when time comes? I think hybrid AWD would have been awesome but there are so many other things great about the Mav besides it's powertrain that I bought FWD Eco. Is the extra 10mpg on average really the deal breaker for so many?

Maverstang

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata; Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If 2025 revamp doesn't bring that drive train it may mean those waiting for it have a very long wait coming.

Why not buy a hybrid now or AWD Eco, per your individual greater need, then trade up when time comes? I think hybrid AWD would have been awesome but there are so many other things great about the Mav besides it's powertrain that I bought FWD Eco. Is the extra 10mpg on average really the deal breaker for so many?
The current general consensus seems to be a mainly cosmetic refresh in 2025 meaning major changes (AWD, PHEV, Electric) will have to wait until the 2028 platform change.

That doesn't mean they couldn’t get a hybrid AWD change slipped into the refresh, maybe driven by some press and customer pressure. We shall see in about 6 months.

Blinky

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiesta ST, 1991 Toyota Dyna
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Depending how much you drive there really isn't that big a savings on fuel, about 4-5 cents per mile, between Eco and Hybrid.
If 4 cents a mile is gonna break the budget then that person should be looking into a good used car, a better job or shortening their commute IMHO

Sponsored

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Depending how much you drive there really isn't that big a savings on fuel, about 4-5 cents per mile, between Eco and Hybrid.
If 4 cents a mile is gonna break the budget then that person should be looking into a good used car, a better job or shortening their commute IMHO
Right, I did the math on my low yearly mileage and PA gas prices. If I recall, the 24' hybrid price diff would have taken me 3+ years to break even. For me, that plus the trade down in HP and potentially more issues wheren't worth it.

I am hopeful that the hybrid issues are ironed out in a few years and AWD option comes. In which case I may trade up with plans to run it for many many years to cash in on savings. For now my plan was to gain entry with lowest price tag and wait to see how well it is refined after a few more years in production.

Blinky

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fiesta ST, 1991 Toyota Dyna
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Right, I did the math on my low yearly mileage and PA gas prices. If I recall, the 24' hybrid price diff would have taken me 3+ years to break even. For me, that plus the trade down in HP and potentially more issues wheren't worth it.

I am hopeful that the hybrid issues are ironed out in a few years and AWD option comes. In which case I may trade up with plans to run it for many many years to cash in on savings. For now my plan was to gain entry with lowest price tag and wait to see how well it is refined after a few more years in production.
I like the idea of hybrids, especially with whats going on in the world but some folks get hard stuck on that mpg number like it's the only difference between the trucks, completely forgetting all the other features that the hybrid lacks in the comparison.

I fall into the mpg game too; I like seeing those high scores when I'm fueling up but I track my fuel use and looking at it critically, there's only a couple bucks difference in the cost of a fillup between my high and low scores on my car.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The current general consensus seems to be a mainly cosmetic refresh in 2025 meaning major changes (AWD, PHEV, Electric) will have to wait until the 2028 platform change.

That doesn't mean they couldn’t get a hybrid AWD change slipped into the refresh, maybe driven by some press and customer pressure. We shall see in about 6 months.
I'm wagering they reveal the 2025 refresh at the spring or summer shows. New York is in March. Detroit is in September. I've seen several Ford reveals in person at the New York show, and my bet is on a reveal then. Not like they're worried about cannibalizing sales when they can't meet demand.

https://www.autoshowny.com/

https://naias.com/

By the way, anyone who hasn't gone to a major international auto show. It's really a fun adventure for the family. At least now that Covid is mostly in the rear view mirror.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I didnt think the fuel economy was worth it, plus we get random wicked snow storms from the pan handle through Texas almost every winter, and our snow removal is a joke here, this and the fact that my employer almost never closes down. They did during Texad snowmageddon though. I mean negative 8 degrees, and no power, or water for a week. But I digress, I figured that the crappy winter snow removal alone was worth it. I went with the 4k tow for 2 reasons. Bigger radiator, and thermostat controlled auxiliary transaxle cooler. Wife wants to travel, so we are looking into a feather light type travel trailer that sleeps 2. Otherwise the hybrid looks like a pretty good deal. It was a better deal when it was the base drivetrain in 2022

Last edited:
Sponsored
OP
OP
r100gs91

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My cost per mile since new.
From my Fuelly account

$0.068All Time
Avg Price/Mile

Joeneonturbo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Alex thoroughly went in detail on the cabin space when I was worried I ordered a truck I might not fit in. 🙏

TonyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This reply also covers a few other posts......

There are several variables that weigh in on the "isn't that big a difference in cost of fuel..."

My driving tilts more to city - probably 85/15 - versus the EPA estimate of 70/30. So my average mpg with my Maverick hybrid is 40 mpg. I have a 2018 Escape AWD and it is 25 mpg. Likely 25 is what I'd be getting with an AWD Maverick. So my driving routine makes a hybrid look a bit better and the Eco engine a bit worse as far as miles per gallon.

I own a 2022. If you own a 2022 the Hybrid was the base. The ecoboost engine cost more. $1500 if I remember correctly That changes the math a substantial amount and it changes it upfront. For 2023 the price was the same for eco or hybrid. So if one purchased a 2022 or a 2023 there was no period of time you had to "make up" the extra cost of the hybrid with gas savings. The savings started day one.

As the great businessman Andrew Carnegie remarked, "take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves." I'll go with the five cents a mile estimate between Eco and Hybrid. It's a fair estimate. For some it might be four cents a mile, others six cents a mile. But five works. Week to week, fill up to fill up that isn't much $$. But I've never sold a car I bought new or nearly new and put less than 100,000 miles on it. NEVER. Most were driven 135,000 to 180,000 miles. So over 100,000 miles, five cents a mile turns into $5,000. 180,000 miles is $9,000. Not such insignificant amounts of $$$ viewed over the long term.

Just observations. I love my Hybrid Maverick - but I'd probably love the ecoboost too and considered it strongly when I placed my order as I did view AWD as a desirable option.

Last edited:

Bluecrew

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick xl
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

It is more like 20 mpg for me since I am mostly city miles, so yes indeed.
Sponsored