First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Hybrid, 22 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the comparison. I had a 1987 Ranger, 5 spd 4cyl regular cab, bench seat, no A/C that was the first new car I ever bought. I loved that truck even without A/C in Georgia. If the Mav is similar overall size with 4 doors, I will be very happy with it...
Sponsored

RickAns

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Great comparison, thank you. (y)

Milkaholics

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota Camry
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, for me, the Maverick is a dream vehicle. I drove that same ranger for years and loved every minute of it. I was super bummed out that the new rangers were so much bigger and expensive, so I gave up trying to own a smaller truck. I'm ecstatic that Maverick the new spiritual successor to the old Ranger. This comparison was a relief for me to see the similarities. I know a lot of people preordering will be disappointed on how small it is, but for me this is perfect. Ford really nailed their target audience well. *steps off soap-box*

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I miss the long bed of my '89 Toyota Pickup. Sure was nice for carrying bikes, lumber, and other stuff. A fiberglass cap with screened windows and curtains made for a terrific place to grab a nap on long road trips. But I'm no longer single, so the extra row of seats in the Maverick are far more practical these days. 4 door and a long bed would be great, but that's simply not possible while keeping the truck a reasonable overall length. If I absolutely needed 4 seats and a long bed, I'd buy a Tacoma--and an aircraft hanger for parking it, a dedicated oil well to fuel it, and an extra $20,000 to buy it.

Sponsored

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks just like what I was hoping for. Slightly bigger than the old Ranger and slightly smaller than the new Ranger.

Sort of the Goldie Locks effect: ‘It’s just right!’

Deleted member 1157

The comparison many have been waiting for! 2022 Maverick vs its spiritual ancestor the 2008 Ranger (regular cab).

Thanks to @Cocogasm for these taking these great comparison pics!

Here's how they match up on paper:

2008 RANGER
Height 67.7 in.
Length 203.6 in.
Width 69.4 in.
Wheelbase 125.9 in.

2022 MAVERICK
Height 68.7 in.
Length 199.7 in.
Width 72.6 in.
Wheelbase 121.1 in.

2022 Maverick vs 2008 Ranger 7.jpeg

2022 Maverick vs 2008 Ranger 4.jpeg

2022 Maverick vs 2008 Ranger 5.jpeg

2022 Maverick vs 2008 Ranger 2.jpeg

2022 Maverick vs 2008 Ranger 6.jpeg

2022 Maverick vs 2008 Ranger 1.jpeg

2022 Maverick vs 2008 Ranger 3.jpeg
Awesome comparison. A crew cab in this size truck is perfect for my needs.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

the Maverick has a shorter bed and likely shorter hood (because of transverse mounted engine). They took some of that extra room to make the crew cab.
Exactly
People will be surprised

Sponsored

Ajm

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Excellent. I was sad when the true compact truck went away. I've had a 76 Chevy Luv, 85 Ranger, 99 S- 10 and currently a 96 Tacoma, all regular cab. Super happy to see the size.

BigB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This makes me happy.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Geez, they couldn't find a Ranger without a door smashed? Not to mention my 2010 Ranger's emblems are fine, plus has a 6 foot bed. Yes it's dated, but still looks good and has been a GREAT truck.
It was just the dudes own ranger, not some marketing flunky arranging a photo op. Give him a break.

joeboxer22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Honda Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Man, for me, the Maverick is a dream vehicle. I drove that same ranger for years and loved every minute of it. I was super bummed out that the new rangers were so much bigger and expensive, so I gave up trying to own a smaller truck. I'm ecstatic that Maverick the new spiritual successor to the old Ranger. This comparison was a relief for me to see the similarities. I know a lot of people preordering will be disappointed on how small it is, but for me this is perfect. Ford really nailed their target audience well. *steps off soap-box*
I think they should have called the current ranger the F-100 like the old days and the Maverick be the Ranger. Wouldnt that be cool?

Ksmavgal

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
I think they should have called the current ranger the F-100 like the old days and the Maverick be the Ranger. Wouldnt that be cool?
I do really like that idea, because it stays true to the Ford truck names (although my dad's and FIL's 76 & 79 Ford trucks respectively, were called Ranger F250s) & clearly the Maverick was not a truck.
However, personally, I love the name Maverick because the definition fits me so well!
Sponsored