First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid ordered 9/17/22.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looking forward to my Maverick (build date: late October ‘23). While my Ranger is in the shop, my rental is a 2023 Ranger XLT 4x4. I don’t like it. It feels bigger and clunkier than my 2011 XLT 4x4. Maybe it’s just because it’s different than what I’ve been driving for over a decade, but brakes are different. Steering is different. Sight lines are different. I’m glad to be going with the Maverick instead of another Ranger. The new Ranger feels like the F-150’s I drove in the 90’s.
Sponsored

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having had 2 Rangers in the past (87 with 744k on it and an 08 with 120k on it), I'm also much happier with the Maverick size and handling than the new and ridiculously oversized Ranger. Maybe its time for the big 3 to go back to more reasonable truck sizes. The 66 F100 is smaller than the Maverick, as is the 76 GMC. Huge trucks don't get the job done any better, and can't even park properly in Costco or Walmart.

Gray Goose

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
RG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Terrain Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Having had 2 Rangers in the past (87 with 744k on it and an 08 with 120k on it), I'm also much happier with the Maverick size and handling than the new and ridiculously oversized Ranger. Maybe its time for the big 3 to go back to more reasonable truck sizes. The 66 F100 is smaller than the Maverick, as is the 76 GMC. Huge trucks don't get the job done any better, and can't even park properly in Costco or Walmart.
Agree that trucks have grown into behemoths. EPA is a big factor. One of many posts on how the EPA rules result in larger vehicles.
https://www.resources.org/common-re...ncentivize-the-production-of-larger-vehicles/

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

And I thought I had a lot of miles on my '87 Ranger at 240k. I could not agree more; my '87 was a perfect size (for me) with a big bed. Narrow enough, it could fit most anywhere. Only have 125k on my 2001 though and it's bigger than the '87.
Edit: (Rear ended post). I got rear ended in that '87, big old Oldsmobile. Bent my bumper down about six inches. Not a mark on the bumper itself. Straighten it to perfection with a floor jack and channel locks applied to the bumper brackets. Might have totalled a Mav.

Last edited:

TheWizziard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Oxford White
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ouch.......I enjoyed my '11 Ranger for many years (I also had an '02)
I happily traded it in on my Maverick

Last edited:

Sponsored

Howard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IH Scout, Ranger, Escape, 24 Atlas Blue someday
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also a 2011 Ranger driver, waiting on my Maverick. When the Ranger returned in 2015, I thought it should have been called the F-149.

OP
OP
Ktowntimmy

Ktowntimmy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Hybrid ordered 9/17/22.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And I thought I had a lot of miles on my '87 Ranger at 240k. I could not agree more; my '87 was a perfect size (for me) with a big bed. Narrow enough, it could fit most anywhere. Only have 125k on my 2001 though and it's bigger than the '87.
Edit: (Rear ended post). I got rear ended in that '87, big old Oldsmobile. Bent my bumper down about six inches. Not a mark on the bumper itself. Straighten it to perfection with a floor jack and channel locks applied to the bumper brackets. Might have totalled a Mav.
Yeah…I was rear ended by a GMC SUV and it caved in the tailgate, bent the bumper down a bit, and bent the hitch receiver. Similar, but less, damage to the front bumper. A little less than $5000 in damage, almost half of that in paint and labor.

Waterick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Mav Lariat, '14 Prius, '83 'Stang, more...
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yeah…I was rear ended by a GMC SUV and it caved in the tailgate, bent the bumper down a bit, and bent the hitch receiver. Similar, but less, damage to the front bumper. A little less than $5000 in damage, almost half of that in paint and labor.
Really glad to know (and surprised) it was not totalled. Still not sure what to do to protect my Maverick when it arrives. If there really is anything.

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking forward to my Maverick (build date: late October ‘23). While my Ranger is in the shop, my rental is a 2023 Ranger XLT 4x4. I don’t like it. It feels bigger and clunkier than my 2011 XLT 4x4. Maybe it’s just because it’s different than what I’ve been driving for over a decade, but brakes are different. Steering is different. Sight lines are different. I’m glad to be going with the Maverick instead of another Ranger. The new Ranger feels like the F-150’s I drove in the 90’s.
Ya, the new Ranger 2019-2023 is as big as my first and only F unit ( 1977 F-100).
Maverick perfect replacement (size) for my Rangers (1985/1994/2008).. :cool:

Jerry

MM Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Luxury w/CP360 + CP360A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Just keep an eye on your rear view mirror in the Maverick. I would push somebody out of the way Infront of me before letting my Maverick get "frame bent" in the rear.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gotta make these trucks get better gas mileage! At the same time make these trucks bigger too!

Just sad the desk jockeys that make all these decisions for the "benefit" of all are all virtually unelected beauracrats who by and large are totally unaware if their butts are punched or drilled.

Even my old Lawnboy mower is not exempt. I have had it for years as I can no longer purchase one new with a two stroke 5 HP engine. Even then I needed to drill out the jets in the carb to achieve full power as the EPA desk jockeys decided to nerf the engine from the factory, thereby putting out only 2/3 of its potential power and not running smooth even when warmed up. Now? She runs like a top and couldn't stall it in 3 foot grass. :ROFLMAO:

prsncat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT EB AWD BAP CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I bought back my 2005 Ford Ranger Supercab XLT 4x2 from my dad a few months ago. I drove it back to CA from NC. Like many of you, I marveled at how good the Ranger is compared to my Maverick. I don't need a crew cab -- I need a longer bed.

The Maverick is wonderful. Yet, I don't need the crew cab and do need a longer bed. I might end up selling the Maverick to purchase a new F-150.

To the OP, I hope you are okay and only the 2011 Ranger was hurt.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ya, the new Ranger 2019-2023 is as big as my first and only F unit ( 1977 F-100).
Maverick perfect replacement (size) for my Rangers (1985/1994/2008).. :cool:

Jerry
that's technically not the new Ranger, now. the 19-23 we have in the USA is a truck engineered by Ford Australia and they put it into service way back in 2011, but we didn't get it until 2019.

the '24 Ranger is all-new and should start arriving in dealerships this fall. it goes from 4200 pound curb weight for a 2WD XL all the way to a shocking 5300 pounds for a Raptor. that really is as big as a F150 from 20+ years ago.

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I had a 70's F150 which was great. Simple and not huge. Decent bed too.
There's a new pickup at work I drive sometimes and I don't like it. Way too big and awkward. My Mav does everything better.
Sponsored