Sponsored

6 days of ownership and I get rear ended.

Mango

First Name
Hatvru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick lariat
I've noticed a definite decline in driving ability where I live over the last few years. People are doing some crazy sh*t lately. I watched 3 cars in a row pass a truck over double yellow blind turns and blow through stop signs while doing it. I've also started to see more and more "red light" is optional behavior. Not a "yellow turned to red" situation, more like people are now straight up just going from a dead stop when the light is red and weaving through traffic. I see it at least a few times a week. Feels like the slow decay of civilized society haha.
Sponsored

Mango

First Name
Hatvru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford maverick lariat
That's what I think it's for. My rear-end collision was pretty low speed and most likely (unconfirmed) didn't collapse any of the crumple zone. What it did do was damage the plastic bumper, which will probably need to be replaced at a considerable cost. It also bent the bracket holding the trailer hook up connectors, which may have been protected by the spare bumper.

The "Sparebumper" claims (and arguably shows) that some of the impact energy is dissipated by the rubber shock absorbers. That energy would not be transferred into the receiver like a normal hitch would. Less energy into the receiver would always be a good thing, from a damage and an injury perspective.

The big problem is bumpers aren't bumpers anymore, and they are expensive.
Well my new 2022 maverick lariat with only 450 miles back door driver side smash in.. side panels up to the back scrapp indented. bumper whelk rim scraped..
The big problem might be the back door when opened has a kink been appears to be on the frame .. I heard it could take months up to year for parts.. no I was not at fault

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

OK now I'm interested in one of these:
https://sparebumper.com/superbumper...orbing-receiver-hitch-step-sp424-sparebumper/

I wonder if it could have prevented the damage to my bumper and trailer hookup. No idea how the unibody would hold up. Superbumper claims a reducing in energy transferred to the body/frame, and the rubber shock absorbers would theoretically do that....
Weather tech makes a step-bumper for the receiver that is entirely made out of a rubber-like compound. Seems that it would absorb quite a bit of force from a rearender, at any speed.

ILykTrux

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm 33, never been in an accident. Wish someone would rearend me in my little beater Hyundai accent before next month, so I can just get it out of the way lol

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, after 10 months of waiting and 6 days of ownership, I get rear ended at a stop sign. My beautiful Alto Blue Lariat.....

Very minor, but the bumper got a nice little hole, the trailer plugs are caved in, and the hitch receiver took the brunt. I'm worried about the receiver being hit and what that could have done underneath. I have the 4K tow but I don't know what that does to the design of the receiver. My fingers are crossed.

I've never screamed F*ck so loud in my life right after being hit, haha.

20221108_182642.jpg
Any updates on the extend of the damage and repair status on your Maverick?

Sponsored

OP
OP
RRaynor2

RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any updates on the extend of the damage and repair status on your Maverick?
I have my truck back. It took 2 months to get the parts and a week to repair.
No damage to the unibody.

They replaced the bumper, hitch receiver, crush brace behind the bumper, trailer wire harness (damaged), and trailer hookup connector.

$1900, paid by other driver's insurance. They also paid for a rental Audi Q6 (pretty nice SUV IMO).

ShadowBlack XL440

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Ford, not enought room to list..........
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have my truck back. It took 2 months to get the parts and a week to repair.
No damage to the unibody.

They replaced the bumper, hitch receiver, crush brace behind the bumper, trailer wire harness (damaged), and trailer hookup connector.

$1900, paid by other driver's insurance. They also paid for a rental Audi Q6 (pretty nice SUV IMO).
Thanks for the update and glad it went as well as it did. It did look worse than that and glad to know it did not get structural.

Jim Walker

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC, Mazda, Bmw
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been told the brakelights are nice and bright. I had my brakes on too, didn't help when she was looking down.
Probably texting , hey there’s a cool Maverick in front of me

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I drive my grandmother to the grocery store? That's what it's for.
If you have a disabled person in the vehicle and are using the handicapped space, you need to also have the handicap license placard prominently displayed in the vehicle with you. With no placard, it does not matter that she is in the vehicle and you're in violation.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you have a disabled person in the vehicle and are using the handicapped space, you need to also have the handicap license placard prominently displayed in the vehicle with you. With no placard, it does not matter that she is in the vehicle and you're in violation.
Of course. It's her placard (she holds onto it), and is only displayed when parking in a marked spot for her benefit. Often, it's easier to drop her off in a loading zone (and someone to help her inside) and just park in the back of the lot...

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like a "teaching moment" opportunity. Follow her to the store & call the police non-emergency number to report it. Although I guess technically if she has the placard it would be hard to get them to ticket her for it.
Valve stem core taped to driver's door window?

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've noticed a definite decline in driving ability where I live over the last few years. People are doing some crazy sh*t lately. I watched 3 cars in a row pass a truck over double yellow blind turns and blow through stop signs while doing it. I've also started to see more and more "red light" is optional behavior. Not a "yellow turned to red" situation, more like people are now straight up just going from a dead stop when the light is red and weaving through traffic. I see it at least a few times a week. Feels like the slow decay of civilized society haha.
Totally agree. Starts at small like no front licence plates on states that require them. Tinted windows where that is also illegal. Today I has a scooter almost hit me. No plates no helmet weaving in and out of traffic blowing through a red light. I know these are small things and many of these laws should be changed. But where does it end.

shadow76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with you
I think it's part of the entitled society we live in. My sister regularly parks in handicapped spaces saying its ok because she is getting something for our disabled Dad. I was pissed but she still thinks it's ok. Hope her car gets towed.
My neighbor is definitely in need of a handicapped space but rarely can find one. He’s called me several times to move his van as some ***hole has blocked his wheelchair lift on the van.