S. fisher

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 2500 HD, 15 Santa Fe, 94 XJ
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ine-is-diesel-game-changer--cleaner--mor.html

So across the Atlantic ford is offering this, roughly 36 mpg in the ranger thunder.
But here in the states we aren’t allowed to have it. Diesel is much more reliable in arctic temps then any hybrid. It is also gets better mileage than the ecoboost, lower HP but more torque, so better towing.
Oil is plentiful, Lithium is scarce and usually requires strip mining.
Its for the children.
Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love diesel power but anytime I see the words "Ford" and "Clean sheet design" the only thing that comes to mind is "I'll check back in on it in ten years". This is coming from a long time Ford owner and shareholder.

OP
OP

S. fisher

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 2500 HD, 15 Santa Fe, 94 XJ
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love diesel power but anytime I see the words "Ford" and "Clean sheet design" the only thing that comes to mind is "I'll check back in on it in ten years". This is coming from a long time Ford owner and shareholder.
Thing is Ford has a diesel small diesel that they put in the ranger in the mid 2000’s over there, it was getting over 30 mpg back then.
It makes no sense that we can’t get a small diesel pickup truck here in the states.
Well it does if you account for the corruption in our government.
Just have to look at what the uniparty is invested in.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thing is Ford has a diesel small diesel that they put in the ranger in the mid 2000’s over there, it was getting over 30 mpg back then.
It makes no sense that we can’t get a small diesel pickup truck here in the states.
Well it does if you account for the corruption in our government.
Just have to look at what the uniparty is invested in.
Americans just aren't big on diesels with the exception of people who actually NEED a pickup truck for hauling and a handful of outliers. Unfortunately the electric boom has taken over and people can sleep at night thinking it's good for the environment but then they ignore or dismiss scientists who claim that slaves are being murdered to mine their precious cobalt or that the vast majority of electricity is produced using fossil fuels.

What can you do? Most people are sheep.....

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sales of diesels in Europe are plummeting after a series of emissions scandals. And you didn't need a diesel to get 30 mpg. My 2010 Ranger 4 cylinder with standard shift averaged that for 12 years (well I did mostly long highway commutes, and the standard Ranger had an overdrive top gear, so I'm cheating a bit when I make that claim).

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/17/business/electric-vehicles-europe.html

Diesels are either filthy or they're hideously expensive because of the insane emissions controls required (unless the automaker is cheating) not to make your neighbors choke. The lack of diesels isn't your government oppressing you. It's your fellow citizens wanting to breathe clean air.

There's currently (2022) a strong case for diesels, but it's not for small trucks. It's for long haul, serious towing and other heavy workload cases. And those use cases will vanish over time, as BEV or hydrogen solutions outpace diesel.

Heavy construction equipment is already going BEV. Multiple semi makers already have BEV solutions and Autoline had a great show last month about one of those manufacturers (hint - they're going full BEV because they clearly see the death of diesel in long haul trucking). And no, it wasn't Tesla.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As a former trucker, I hate diesel. Having slept in truck stops for 20 to 30 nights in a row with 4 or 5 days home. The smell of diesel fuel still makes me a lil nauseous. DEF makes it even worse.

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Americans just aren't big on diesels with the exception of people who actually NEED a pickup truck for hauling and a handful of outliers. Unfortunately the electric boom has taken over and people can sleep at night thinking it's good for the environment but then they ignore or dismiss scientists who claim that slaves are being murdered to mine their precious cobalt or that the vast majority of electricity is produced using fossil fuels.

What can you do? Most people are sheep.....
Without being1 political, you are right. We are sheep. COVID proved it. Big jet fuel aircraft for me and an electric bike for thee. After all, who needs to stray more than 20 mi anyhow unless you are in government.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Without being1 political, you are right. We are sheep. COVID proved it. Big jet fuel aircraft for me and an electric bike for thee. After all, who needs to stray more than 20 mi anyhow unless you are in government.
All things aside I cant leave my 20 mile radius without a big jet or a big boat. Just a poor guy stuck in paradise:ROFLMAO:! But yeah an island is one thing, but growing up in Dayton OH I knew a ton of people that never made it as far as Cincinnati. Thats nuts to me, some need to be free to roam, some dont feel comfortable leaving their neighborhood. I like my lil island life but I do gotta go to the mainland every few years and it isnt to go one place, its for a roadtrip.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In Texas average gas price is about $3/gal. Diesel is over $4/gal. Why would I pay 25% more for fuel that nets 25% more mileage... but is harder to find and less clean? Someone sell me the reason I should want diesel in a small truck besides insulting my ability to think.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

In Texas average gas price is about $3/gal. Diesel is over $4/gal. Why would I pay 25% more for fuel that nets 25% more mileage... but is harder to find and less clean? Someone sell me the reason I should want diesel in a small truck besides insulting my ability to think.
Don't forget that the diesel options are more expensive and more expensive to fix if something goes wrong. The 2022 Colorado has a diesel option and it's $4,000. The redesigned 2023? Nowhere to be found.
Sponsored