First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Question: When Ford talks about the 4th Quarter, is that on the fiscal year (so coming up right now) or is it calendar year (December 2023)?
I have no factual idea, but their financial statements run Jan 1 to Dec 31, so I would assume their 4th quarter would be Oct, Nov & Dec 2023. Purely an assumption.
Sponsored

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Oh my god... is this for real? My ETA was yesterday in Philly; it got pushed to early next week. It's probably on a semi truck somewhere in the northeast right now. If this is the real deal, will they hold it and I'm stuck until Q4?

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Oh my god... is this for real? My ETA was yesterday in Philly; it got pushed to early next week. It's probably on a semi truck somewhere in the northeast right now. If this is the real deal, will they hold it and I'm stuck until Q4?
Yes, they will. We'll see if they decide to prioritize recalls or manufacturing, but my guess is manufacturing.

OleFordGuy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lariat, Expedition Limited, 22 Mav Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The letter states effected Build Dates from Feb 3, 2021 thru May 18, 2023

Eklipse

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty disheartening.

I really like my Lariat hybrid's ride, utility, and phenomenal gas mileage, but the lack of quality control is concerning and frustrating.

As of right now:
  • Spongy break pedal / low speed brake clunk (my dealer can't figure out how to download the software update)
  • Remote services continually being disabled (battery drain)
  • Open airbag recall (likely skipping this after seeing the hack jobs that happened to some of you)
  • Oil leak found by my dealer during my first oil change (at 7,500 miles)
  • Potential fire risk (latest issue)
Add the ridiculously long wait times on orders, and I can't in good conscious recommend the Maverick.

Sponsored

Bodageta

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
RICHARD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Chevrolet K1500, 1989 Corvette Conv
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bummer, my hybrid's production date was May 18th - the last day covered by the recall.
I guess this truck (prob I should no longer call it "mine") will be on delivery hold until Q4.
Mine was May 18 too for production and says built 19th. I first ordered Oct 9, 2021. I’m frustrated enough right now to finally throw in the towel. I also should be getting a $2750 private offer that somehow got screwed up and im almost for sure not getting either. Dang. Im a Chevrolet guy too. Buying this thing already feels like cheating on my wife.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Pretty disheartening.

I really like my Lariat hybrid's ride, utility, and phenomenal gas mileage, but the lack of quality control is concerning and frustrating.

As of right now:
  • Spongy break pedal / low speed brake clunk (my dealer can't figure out how to download the software update)
  • Remote services continually being disabled (battery drain)
  • Open airbag recall (likely skipping this after seeing the hack jobs that happened to some of you)
  • Oil leak found by my dealer during my first oil change (at 7,500 miles)
  • Potential fire risk (latest issue)
Add the ridiculously long wait times on orders, and I can't in good conscious recommend the Maverick.
I'm in the same camp, and I don't even have to deal with this.

Ford had the opportunity to wow people coming from other manufacturers. On paper, great job. In practice, what a failure...

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everything I've seen online indicates 4th Quarter for Ford is Oct-Dec.

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

22S47 was to address the general concept that an engine failure (due to manufacturing defect or otherwise) could lead to engine fire. The "repair" was to increase ventilation into the engine bay, by removing 4 AGS vanes and adding vent holes to the aero cover underneath. The idea being that increased ventilation would help the hot oil and/or fuel vapors disperse rather than accumulating in the air and on the hot surfaces of the engine. It did not address a manufacturing defect that would lead to engine failure itself.

23S27 (new one in this thread) indicates that there actually are unspecified manufacturing defects that occurred at unspecified times dating back essentially to the start of production of the current 2.5L engine. It's been in use since 2020 Escape and Corsair launched back in 2019. Fusion used a 2.0L version through MY 2020 and C-Max did through MY 2018.

Either they really do have no idea which of these engines are defective and how, or they haven't finished narrowing it down. Sounds like we have up to 7 months to wait to get more information on what defects they're worried about and how they plan to go about fixing this...
The way I'm reading it, manufacturing defects MAY cause engine failure and a possible fire. Just like the first recall. How about we wait and see what the problem actually is? I do agree this is not good for the Ford name though.

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
22S47 was to address the general concept that an engine failure (due to manufacturing defect or otherwise) could lead to engine fire. The "repair" was to increase ventilation into the engine bay, by removing 4 AGS vanes and adding vent holes to the aero cover underneath. The idea being that increased ventilation would help the hot oil and/or fuel vapors disperse rather than accumulating in the air and on the hot surfaces of the engine. It did not address a manufacturing defect that would lead to engine failure itself.

23S27 (new one in this thread) indicates that there actually are unspecified manufacturing defects that occurred at unspecified times dating back essentially to the start of production of the current 2.5L engine. It's been in use since 2020 Escape and Corsair launched back in 2019. Fusion used a 2.0L version through MY 2020 and C-Max did through MY 2018.

Either they really do have no idea which of these engines are defective and how, or they haven't finished narrowing it down. Sounds like we have up to 7 months to wait to get more information on what defects they're worried about and how they plan to go about fixing this...
I'm curious as to how many are affected by this recall? My wife just bought a new 23 Ford Escape hybrid which of course falls under the dates but I wonder if all the hybrid production for those dates are affected? The recall says it's almost 125K vehicles so who knows?

Sponsored

Fcnrwy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL Area 51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow,
And just when they are ramping up, Hybrid production.
That is a MZR motor, designed in partnership with Mazda.
From their description of what to expect, sounds like the crankshaft or bearings might be the issue.
I have seen (after the fact) when a Piston Rod goes though the side of the block.
And most modern engines are of Aluminum construction. The oil is then released, all over the interior of the engine bay.
So sorry, this just adds to the frustrations, of Hybrid owners and those hoping to be.. :(

Jerry

Last edited:

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The way I'm reading it, manufacturing defects MAY cause engine failure and a possible fire. Just like the first recall. How about we wait and see what the problem actually is? I do agree this is not good for the Ford name though.
I'm reading this new/old recall as meaning the first recall fix is inadequate and the 2.5 engine problems of possible catastrophic failure never got fixed until 5/19/23.

Has there been many reports of these 2.5 engines failing and causing fires? Or failing and not causing a fire? I haven't heard of any but maybe I missed them.

I feel really bad for the people who will not get their Maverick's after they have been built and shipped to the dealer because of this.

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another recall? I’m still waiting for the Airbag recall to be fixed! My dealer told me I had to ask for them to order them even after I called them to let them know I want to have it fixed with them! Can’t wait to see what mess this will be to get fixed. On top of my engine randomly revving really high especially when accelerating (sounds like in the 4-5,000 RPM range), I just can’t put faith in this truck driving a long distance at once. I took it up the Cajon Pass a couple times in the last month and it sounded like the truck wouldn’t even make it up to the top of the pass!

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I remember in the discussion with the first recall there was like a very short window of time when a sanding polisher had broke and they recalled and replaced the engines. And they recalled thousands of vehicles just to be safe. If there was a problem that serious now with that many vehicles, I'm sure there would be tons of people bashing the Maverick or at least the 2.5 engine.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wow,
And just when they are ramping up, Hybrid production.
That is a MZR motor, designed in partnership with Mazda.
From their description of what to expect, sounds like the crankshaft or bearings might be the issue.
I have seen (after the fact) when a Piston Rod goes though the side of the block.
And most modern engines are of Aluminum construction. The oil is then released, all over the interior of the engine bay.
So sorry, this just adds to the frustrations, of Hybrid owners and those hoping to be.. :(
Jerry
think a recall is gonna fix that? dealers don't rebuild engines.
or are you just trolling the hybrid guys?
Sponsored