Sponsored

How does the Hybrid Maverick 2.5 compare to 2019 Accord 2.0 hybrid?

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
I tried to find a description of the hybrid technology in the 2019 Accord, to avail. I know the new CR-V has a unique hybrid drivetrain layout, but my understanding is it's new. Do you have anything?

I've tracked the "dash" mileage against what the gas pump says. I see the dash reading 5% high.
this Eco Mode supposedly changes enough engine controls to allow some people to get past 50 MPG in them.
Two things.

NORMAL mode is default. No one uses ECO mode until they remember to hit the button.

My memory is variable, but my mileage is consistently good, regardless the mode, NORMAL vs. ECO. The only thing I can sense is a change in regen sensitivity, roughly doubling the off-throttle braking force from 0.2x speed to 0.4x speed. (My 2020 Escape has digital readouts.)

At this time, I'm getting tanks over 50 mpg, and I blame it on reduced RR from tires with barely legal tread on them. At tires wear, the tread gets thinner and bends easier. These are very close to end-of-life, and I've already got the replacements, just waiting for the first frost.
Sponsored

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
Great road speeds for a hybrid to run at, so that's good. Glad your wife likes the game of keeping the mileage up. My wife has that damn digital right foot in the C-Max, where she's either on the gas hard or off it completely. Drives me nuts, because I like to feather the ICE slowly, and to see how long I can keep the ICE off with light input. Same goes for braking with her, either on or off, never coasting or light braking to increase regen with her. LOL

Atisko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan rogue
You missed one... the Accord is 20% smaller in cross-sectional area than the Maverick, so Accord is inherently 20% lower drag. That's the one Ford can't overcome with a larger, more capable vehicle.

I'll argue that the engine size matters less than engine efficiency, a smaller, liquid-cooled HVB will have greater usable capacity than a larger air-cooled battery, and weight matters little when regenerative braking is available. Maverick wins on all three, but size matters, regardless the Cd.
Co. Of drag shouldn’t matter that much at speeds below 25 miles per an hour i.e. city driving& Rolling resistance of tires will have greater impact at slower speeds.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I'm going to stick by my claim. The EPA's highway test calls for 80 MPH speeds, not the 55-60 that you reference, so try getting high MPGs in a hybrid at that speed. My C-Max might get 37 MPGs at that speed, though I can drop to the speed you reference and also get low 40s.

Drive your Fusion at the EPA's 80 MPH required speed and let us know what you get. As I said, look at all the customer reviews and complaints about highway mileage in the Accord Hybrids. There is no way it's getting 48 MPGs in real world driving. I bet there's a lawsuit and/or a retraction at some point in Honda's future, just like in Ford's past with the C-Max.
BTW, what year is your Fusion H? Does it have the Eco Mode in it? I'm still unfamiliar with it, as my own 2013 C-Max obviously didn't come with it, but sure sounds like something I would've liked.
EPA 80 mph for fuel economy?
Ford Maverick How does the Hybrid Maverick 2.5 compare to 2019 Accord 2.0 hybrid? hwfet

Has this changed?

Suzukiridr14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1956 THunderbird , 2016 Acura MDX (Wifes car)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Why are you worried about the MPG the Maverick Hybrid gets? It's a truck, and the only hybrid small truck around. If you are looking for a hybrid car ,or SUV, then you can start comparing all the options out there.

Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't there Honda hybrid system a completely different transmission/power delivery?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
BMCGC

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why are you worried about the MPG the Maverick Hybrid gets? It's a truck, and the only hybrid small truck around. If you are looking for a hybrid car ,or SUV, then you can start comparing all the options out there.
I'm not worried.
Isn't there Honda hybrid system a completely different transmission/power delivery?
Yes it is. One speed direct drive transmission.

As I stated in my other thread my primary reasons to buy the Maverick are that it fits in my garage, hauls my dogs, is flat towable behind our MH and occasionally I need a truck to haul stuff I do not want to haul in the car. The mileage is just a bonus.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Being single speed explains why the Honda system sucks the faster you go on the highway since it can't near-infinitely overdrive like the eCVT can.

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
EPA 80 mph for fuel economy?
hwfet.gif

Has this changed?
Looks like that graph was from diesel.net, so here's a more updated graph from the same site referencing SFTP-US06, what I understand is the newer standard.
https://dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/ftp_us06.php

I've tried to look it up on various .gov sites and it's very difficult to get an accurate timeframe on when it changed, but wiki says 2007.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTP-75#Highway_driving
Here's a .gov slide deck referencing 80 MPH, slide #5 - most of that deck might as well be in Klingon though:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f10/vss065_lohsebusch_2012_o.pdf

I thought it changed later, like 2012, but look up SFTP-US06 if you want and see if you can find it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BMCGC

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where the rubber meets the road is each individual's driving habits, state of engine tune and locality. I'm expecting high 30's for mileage, but I will tow the Maverick 3-5k and drive it 6-7k a year, so mileage is not a significant factor.

if only the MH got 40 mpg, it gets 6-8, and the 8 is downhill with a tailwind.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like that graph was from diesel.net, so here's a more updated graph from the same site referencing SFTP-US06, what I understand is the newer standard.
https://dieselnet.com/standards/cycles/ftp_us06.php

I've tried to look it up on various .gov sites and it's very difficult to get an accurate timeframe on when it changed, but wiki says 2007.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTP-75#Highway_driving
Here's a .gov slide deck referencing 80 MPH, slide #5 - most of that deck might as well be in Klingon though:
https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f10/vss065_lohsebusch_2012_o.pdf

I thought it changed later, like 2012, but look up SFTP-US06 if you want and see if you can find it.
Was in Ford emission area for many years. Probably drove several hundred of the FE cycles. Top speed was just under 60mph.
Did it change?? Really don't know. But 80 mph seems high.
Not arguing though.

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
Was in Ford emission area for many years. Probably drove several hundred of the FE cycles. Top speed was just under 60mph.
Did it change?? Really don't know. But 80 mph seems high.
Not arguing though.
I seem to remember reading years ago that the EPA wanted more "real-world" results to reflect what most drivers were seeing, and since most people on the freeways don't actually drive the posted "65 MPH" limits (I know I'm one), they bumped it to that 80 figure. I usually do between 70-75 on a posted 65 highway, so do most people up here. I don't even drive the fast lanes anymore, just to stay out of everyone's way.

I found this, seems to list 70-80 quite a bit. I know a lot of rural Idaho is 80:
https://www.iihs.org/topics/speed/speed-limit-laws

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I seem to remember reading years ago that the EPA wanted more "real-world" results to reflect what most drivers were seeing, and since most people on the freeways don't actually drive the posted "65 MPH" limits (I know I'm one), they bumped it to that 80 figure. I usually do between 70-75 on a posted 65 highway, so do most people up here. I don't even drive the fast lanes anymore, just to stay out of everyone's way.

I found this, seems to list 70-80 quite a bit. I know a lot of rural Idaho is 80:
https://www.iihs.org/topics/speed/speed-limit-laws
Most likely you are correct.

That was back in 55 mph time.

We always joked who drives this slow? Although once the Prius came out it became apparent:)

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Most likely you are correct.

That was back in 55 mph time.

We always joked who drives this slow? Although once the Prius came out it became apparent:)
lol....that's funny, and so true. As a family, we always joke about Prius drivers, as the majority of idiotic things we see on the freeways are invariably from someone driving a Prius. Minivans are a close second. 🤠
Sponsored