Sponsored

How does the Hybrid Maverick 2.5 compare to 2019 Accord 2.0 hybrid?

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife's 19 Accord has a 2.0 hybrid with a 1.3 kWh lithium-ion battery. 212hp/129 tq. 48mpg 3300 lb curb weight

The Maverick has a 2.5 hybrid with a 1.1 kWh lithium-ion battery. 191hp/155 tq. 40mpg 3600-ish lb curb weight.

The Mavericks larger engine, smaller battery, heavier weight and more torque delivers 8 mpg less mileage than the Accord.

I was unable to test drive a Maverick Hybrid before I ordered, I am hoping the performance is similar to the Accord, which has plenty of get up and go.
Sponsored

Last edited:

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Similar" is very subjective.....

With a truck, the extra weight and aero inefficiencies work against you, vs a car. But, pending your version of similar, overall performance will be comparable, with the edge to the lighter, more aerodynamic vehicle.

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
The Mavericks larger engine, smaller battery, heavier weight and more torque delivers 8 mpg less mileage than the Accord.
You missed one... the Accord is 20% smaller in cross-sectional area than the Maverick, so Accord is inherently 20% lower drag. That's the one Ford can't overcome with a larger, more capable vehicle.

I'll argue that the engine size matters less than engine efficiency, a smaller, liquid-cooled HVB will have greater usable capacity than a larger air-cooled battery, and weight matters little when regenerative braking is available. Maverick wins on all three, but size matters, regardless the Cd.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Isn't the Maverick 42mpg, making it just 6mpg different?

OP
OP
BMCGC

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have not figured the Accords mileage, I have only been in it a couple times in the two years we have owned it. I'm going off the dash display that it is getting 45-ish mpg.

I'm going to figure it the next couple times we fill it up.

The day after Thanksgiving we will have owned it 2 years and don't have 10k on it yet.

Sponsored

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
I have not figured the Accords mileage, I have only been in it a couple times in the two years we have owned it. I'm going off the dash display that it is getting 45-ish mpg.

I'm going to figure it the next couple times we fill it up.

The day after Thanksgiving we will have owned it 2 years and don't have 10k on it yet.
I just looked up the Accord Hybrid and was surprised they advertised 48/48/48 MPG, which is impossible. Hybrid powertrains still have to deal with the same physics of wind resistance and friction as any other car, so something sounds wrong here.

Remember, back in the day Ford came out and said their figures for the C-Max were 47/47/47, which I thought at the time was impossible just because of how hybrid powertrains work.
Later Ford discovered they screwed up the test and knocked it down to 42/38/36 or something similar and had to refund some cash to early buyers.

Looking at many of the Honda Hybrid reviews on cars.com the vast majority of people are saying their actual highway mileage is far lower, like high 30s, which seems more in line with a large hybrid sedan:

https://www.cars.com/research/honda-accord_hybrid-2019/consumer-reviews/

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't the same problem here with Honda. If you're getting 45 MPG indicated (btw, you should always calculate it out manually just in case the car is wrong), my guess is you're doing mostly local driving and not hot-footing it around.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just looked up the Accord Hybrid and was surprised they advertised 48/48/48 MPG, which is impossible. Hybrid powertrains still have to deal with the same physics of wind resistance and friction as any other car, so something sounds wrong here.

Remember, back in the day Ford came out and said their figures for the C-Max were 47/47/47, which I thought at the time was impossible just because of how hybrid powertrains work.
Later Ford discovered they screwed up the test and knocked it down to 42/38/36 or something similar and had to refund some cash to early buyers.

Looking at many of the Honda Hybrid reviews on cars.com the vast majority of people are saying their actual highway mileage is far lower, like high 30s, which seems more in line with a large hybrid sedan:

https://www.cars.com/research/honda-accord_hybrid-2019/consumer-reviews/

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't the same problem here with Honda. If you're getting 45 MPG indicated (btw, you should always calculate it out manually just in case the car is wrong), my guess is you're doing mostly local driving and not hot-footing it around.
I watched the main youtubers’ videos that came out early October.
They all seemed fine with the hybrid’s power delivery.
Motortrend spoke well of it too. It isn’t much slower than 2.0 0-60.
I would bet that you will be fine with it compared to the Accord hybrid. It will act differently, as the Maverick’s hybid setup is more akin to the Prius than what Honda did with the Accord.

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
I watched the main youtubers’ videos that came out early October.
They all seemed fine with the hybrid’s power delivery.
Motortrend spoke well of it too. It isn’t much slower than 2.0 0-60.
I would bet that you will be fine with it compared to the Accord hybrid. It will act differently, as the Maverick’s hybid setup is more akin to the Prius than what Honda did with the Accord.
Not sure why you quoted me there, as the majority of my post was merely pointing out that the Accord can't possibly be getting the MPGs Honda claimed, unless you're not talking to me directly here. :-D

I actually have a C-Max and definitely plan to get a Mav H at some point, but fyi the Accord is the same basic hybrid as everyone else's. I'm fine with the Mav's figures, which make sense considering it's a shoe box.
OP, as I said earlier, don't be surprised if your Accord Hybrid doesn't get the mileage you think it should, especially on the hwy, and as others have said, the Mav Hybrid should compare favorably for you.

EDIT/UPDATE: jtpc2021 brought up a good point in his post about the Maverick youtube vids. I watched quite a few too, and read many articles, and understand the Mav H has an "Eco Mode" my earlier C-Max doesn't have. Anyway, this Eco Mode supposedly changes enough engine controls to allow some people to get past 50 MPG in them. That's pretty awesome.

Last edited:

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure why you quoted me there, as the majority of my post was merely pointing out that the Accord can't possibly be getting the MPGs Honda claimed, unless you're not talking to me directly here. :-D

I actually have a C-Max and definitely plan to get a Mav H at some point, but fyi the Accord is the same basic hybrid as everyone else's. I'm fine with the Mav's figures, which make sense considering it's a shoe box.
OP, as I said earlier, don't be surprised if your Accord Hybrid doesn't get the mileage you think it should, especially on the hwy, and as others have said, the Mav Hybrid should compare favorably for you.

EDIT/UPDATE: jtpc2021 brought up a good point in his post about the Maverick youtube vids. I watched quite a few too, and read many articles, and understand the Mav H has an "Eco Mode" my earlier C-Max doesn't have. Anyway, this Eco Mode supposedly changes enough engine controls to allow some people to get past 50 MPG in them. That's pretty awesome.
Sorry. I meant to quote the original post person who has an accord.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not that impossible. My Fusion is about dimensionally identical and averages 43 with 55% at 55-60mph. Although sounds like the Accord needs very low rolling resistance tires, eco mode, and fairly gentle driving to hit 48.

Sponsored

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
Not that impossible. My Fusion is about dimensionally identical and averages 43 with 55% at 55-60mph. Although sounds like the Accord needs very low rolling resistance tires, eco mode, and fairly gentle driving to hit 48.
No, I'm going to stick by my claim. The EPA's highway test calls for 80 MPH speeds, not the 55-60 that you reference, so try getting high MPGs in a hybrid at that speed. My C-Max might get 37 MPGs at that speed, though I can drop to the speed you reference and also get low 40s.

Drive your Fusion at the EPA's 80 MPH required speed and let us know what you get. As I said, look at all the customer reviews and complaints about highway mileage in the Accord Hybrids. There is no way it's getting 48 MPGs in real world driving. I bet there's a lawsuit and/or a retraction at some point in Honda's future, just like in Ford's past with the C-Max.
BTW, what year is your Fusion H? Does it have the Eco Mode in it? I'm still unfamiliar with it, as my own 2013 C-Max obviously didn't come with it, but sure sounds like something I would've liked.

Last edited:

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
Sorry. I meant to quote the original post person who has an accord.
No worries, I figured. I should add that in my earlier post I said some reviewers were getting over 50 MPGs in the Mav H's "Eco Mode". I want to clarify that was in local driving, definitely NOT highway driving.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Drive your Fusion at the EPA's 80 MPH required speed and let us know what you get.
Well, I'd have to leave the state to do that since we top out at 65 here.

The EPA's high speed cycle is technically 80 mph, but only briefly. Otherwise it averages only 48 mph.
Ford Maverick How does the Hybrid Maverick 2.5 compare to 2019 Accord 2.0 hybrid? 1635646649551

MysticRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford C-Max
Well, I'd have to leave the state to do that since we top out at 65 here.

The EPA's high speed cycle is technically 80 mph, but only briefly. Otherwise it averages only 48 mph.
1635646649551.png
Ugg, that sucks you're stuck at 65. We have stretches of 65, 75, and 80 here.
A lot of that EPA highway driving test is accelerating to those higher speeds to reach that indicated 80 MPH, and hybrids just don't do a good job getting to, or at higher RPMs and speeds. I got curious and read that "eco mode" doesn't work at higher speeds, as apparently the manufacturers know you need max power for passing, etc, at highway speeds for safety reasons. I guess that makes sense.

OP
OP
BMCGC

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife commutes to and from work, four days a week, 7.5 months a year.

Speed limit 45-55mph.

The Accord is rarely on the interstate.

I am going to fill it up tomorrow and then again next Sunday and check the mileage.

It takes mid-grade which is running .25 gal more than regular.

Her Accord EXL is a big roomy car with all the bells and whistles. She drives it in eco mode and works on keeping the mpg display above 45 mpg.

Technology wise, the Accord is heads above the Sonata or Camry. The Accord has a one-speed direct-drive transmission while the Sonata has a 6-speed transmission and the Camry uses a CVT.
Sponsored