First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Maverick will be at the dealership Mon. Should I buy an extended warranty?
Sponsored

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Oxford White / 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am not a fan of warranties: in essence, you're betting money that your purchased item, whatever it is, will fail or need service that you're not willing to pay for. If you're buying an item and need to buy an insurance policy on that item, you're paying extra against the chance of a breakdown or expense repair. Why not just do a little math and divide the cost of the warranty by the cost of the item, then put away that percentage into an account that you can draw from as needed? I'm putting away funds every month into an auto service account and earning a little interest on that money. Every month that I don't have to draw from it increases the 'pot' I can draw from when needed.
Extended warranty companies are profitable because more money is spent on the warranty purchase than is claimed by owners of the warranty...just like any other insurance company, they're betting that your item doesn't fail (and they also have many many exclusions that they don't allow you to claim under the warranty). I'm not inclined to bicker with the dealer on whether or not a widget is covered when it needs to be replaced; if it needs replacing, I'll replace it using the money I saved by not buying a warranty.
Some folk prefer them, and that's fine...but you asked and I wanted to suggest an alternative method. I hope that your truck gives you many miles of enjoyment!

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Why not just do a little math and divide the cost of the warranty by the cost of the item, then put away that percentage into an account that you can draw from as needed?
With all the electrical crap in these modern vehicles, if something goes haywire you could be paying out big bucks real fast, far more than any warranty costs. It's a Ford, get the extended warranty, chances are you'll need it. 🤣

Sponsored

Deweyordeweynot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dewey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Oxford White / 2018 Subaru Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

With all the electrical crap in these modern vehicles, if something goes haywire you could be paying out big bucks real fast, far more than any warranty costs. It's a Ford, get the extended warranty, chances are you'll need it. 🤣
I don't buy expensive products if I think the maker isn't reputable. I've owned Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Subaru and they're all about the same.

Crowman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mini Mazda, and a Dodge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with iceGradner

Last edited:

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I don't buy expensive products if I think the maker isn't reputable. I've owned Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Subaru and they're all about the same.
All modern vehicles kind of suck, I wouldn't get any of them without it.

Sage

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sagebrush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can a person buy the extended warranty at any time for the same price?

BohemianLikeYou

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bohemian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, from Granger 7 years 100000 miles $1040 it’s worth it
On an average ...Warranties are a losing bet.
The dealer takes a big chunk of the premium...and even after that the warranty company makes a killing. That shud tell you whether its a good bet.
The Mfr covers 3 years...so u lose 42% of the warranty right out the gate.
Between the deductible and the exclusions ...You are better off putting that money in a bank.
Remember if u r financing the warranty cost...ur paying interest on that too.

Sponsored

Crowman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A mini Mazda, and a Dodge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good points ! But one trip to the repair shop could be quite expensive anywhere from $100-$200 an hour and if your dealer doesn’t have a loaner you could be on the hook for that . But the extended warranty may covers that also ? Last year under warranty I have my mini in the shop with a problem in the dash the labor was 12 hours that alone would have paid for the warranty ! Auto shops are expensive and seven years and 100000 miles is a long time just saying it’s just peace of mind no worries and we are not talking about thousands of dollars just a 1000

yipga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lexus rx350
Engine
Undecided
The electrical drivetrain system of your vehicle is covered by the Hybrid & Electric Vehicle Unique Component coverage for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

if you buy hybrid, not much need for ext warranty less than that.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Previous years before COVID I'd say screw that warranty... But COVID production amplified and already dying QC and what we know about these Maverick recalls... You'd be crazy not to have one.

They do offer warranties that do not overlap now too. That was my biggest complaints about them, was you are paying for coverage for the first 3 years when it doesn't need it because of the manufacturer warranty. Even buying one on year 3 they rate them from the date you bought the truck, so you are again paying for 2 years you already had. That, and cost. The Granger ones work out to cheap insurance compared to that crap most dealers will try to upsell you for 2/3rds more than they cost.

So that upsale argument is dead here. It's 100% insurance at this point. Granger still makes money, but they are pretty up front about it and most smart dealers will be forced to match that price if they want the sale. Lots of refusal stories on here about that too.

Even on the Hybrid. Folks saying you don't need one should look at what's actually covered and what isn't and for how long. Your hybrid parts are mostly covered, not the rest of the drive line and truck.

I have not compared prices on the used vehicle ones they offer, but it's still the FORD plan. Get whatever is cheaper.

All modern vehicles kind of suck, I wouldn't get any of them without it.
This right here is the TL;DR of it and the right answer to buying modern vehicles. Nobody is reliable anymore. They never really were, but warranties have gotten cheaper and the information online has made dealerships change their ways. Most still use the predator tactics but those few who know about Granger will offer them for minimal costs. I guarantee the insurance company on your vehicle is making more of a profit now days than Granger is off selling warranties.

Last edited:

Executech

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Can a person buy the extended warranty at any time for the same price?
You can buy an extended warranty on a new Ford up to 41 months and/or 40,999 miles from the vehicle’s original in-service date.

Go here and get a free quote without putting in any of your personal information: https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com/ford/maverick.html?#/step/1

The quote will give you the ability to toggle the following:
1. If you want to pay in full or monthly.
2. What warranty coverage you want.
3. What deductible you want.

The dark gray in the table outline how many miles and years from the original in-service date of the vehicle you are buying coverage through. For example, in the table below a 6yr 100k warranty for Premiumcare with a $100 deductible would be $1,045.

Ford Maverick Buy extended warranty? 2024-04-24_7-32-50
Sponsored