Sponsored

The XL elephant in the room... no cruise control on the XL..

OP
OP
douglas685

douglas685

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XL ordered, currently Honda Ridgeline
Your argument keeps missing one very key point that has been brought up several times already in this thread and was even in the post from Ghost that you quoted. You apparently completely missed the part where he said:

" Its completely absurd that not having cruise breaks a deal for a car purchase for someone. Straight up ludicrous, especially when you consider how easy it will be to add after the fact with all the OEM parts and a quick reprogram at WORST. "
Unfortunately it's not that easy. Not anymore. Sure on a car from the 80's or 90's it's simple, just pop in an aftermarket cruise control unit and roll. Problem: today's cars are very complex with their computers so simple aftermarket cruise add on's are really computer modifiers.

But actually there's no need; cruise control is already built into the computer (ask ranger XL, F-150 XL, etc. owners who declined the cruise package). Just add the steering wheel buttons? Nope. The feature is in there, but the manufacturers also turn it to "off" in the computer settings.

Ok fine, I'll hook up a tool or aftermarket unit that changes it to "on".

"WARRANTY VOIDED. BOOM!!!" : Ford.

Which warranty? Let's effectively say the whole damn thing. The computers in modern cars all talk to each other and are VERY complex. No dealer is going to do any kind of warranty work if they find out ANY modification has been done to any of the computers because they will say "oh it talks to the muffler system, that's why the muffler broke" šŸ˜‘

But ok, we can sneakily reverse it before going to the dealer right?? This check engine light on my 6 month old Maverick I hypothetically bought appears related to the hybrid system, so even though it's a hassle let's go ahead and swap the old steering wheel back in and turn the cruise control codes back off in the computer system. There it's factory right?

BZZZZTTTT Wrong. The computer systems now have check codes and logs showing their edits. In fact on Chrysler products many tuners were quite pissed to know writing any change to the PCM completely voids the warranty, the PCM has a very specific check system to make sure edits are only done by their techs and any edit permanently flags an internal code showing it was edited. That code is permanent. Nothing can turn it off or erase it. So lots of people had fun modding their Challengers and then tried to take it in for a warranty repair only to find out their warranty was completely void. Then they argue Magnussen-Moss Act. Then all the lawyers get involved...

Long story short.. No. It's not as easy as just "adding it". MAYYBEEE you can get lucky and find a Ford dealer who will hook the computer up to add it but more likely they'll say "nope can't be done" (it totally can) "but here have you seen the new 2023 Maverick right over here?! Let's get your 2022 Maverick traded in today for ya.."

So it's disappointing you can't get it on the XL. And yep adding it will probably be possible one way or another, but almost assuredly nuking any and all warranties in the process. How's that 2.5l hybrid e-cvt with battery with electric motor with 9 computer systems working out for ya? What could possibly go wrong??
Sponsored

Last edited:

Maverick-xv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Expedition XLT
I would agree - absence of Cruise Control option on XL is silly.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unfortunately it's not that easy. Not anymore. Sure on a car from the 80's or 90's it's simple, just pop in an aftermarket cruise control unit and roll. Problem: today's cars are very complex with their computers so simple aftermarket cruise add on's are really computer modifiers.

But actually there's no need; cruise control is already built into the computer (ask ranger XL, F-150 XL, etc. owners who declined the cruise package). Just add the steering wheel buttons? Nope. The feature is in there, but the manufacturers also turn it to "off" in the computer settings.

Which warranty? Let's effectively say the whole damn thing. The computers in modern cars all talk to each other and are VERY complex. No dealer is going to do any kind of warranty work if they find out ANY modification has been done to any of the computers because they will say "oh it talks to the muffler system, that's why the muffler broke" šŸ˜‘

But ok, we can sneakily reverse it before going to the dealer right?? This check engine light on my 6 month old Maverick I hypothetically bought appears related to the hybrid system, so even though it's a hassle let's go ahead and swap the old steering wheel back in and turn the cruise control codes back off in the computer system. There it's factory right?

BZZZZTTTT Wrong. The computer systems now have check codes and logs showing their edits. In fact on Chrysler products many tuners were quite pissed to know writing any change to the PCM completely voids the warranty, the PCM has a very specific check system to make sure edits are only done by their techs and any edit permanently flags an internal code showing it was edited. That code is permanent. Nothing can turn it off or erase it. So lots of people had fun modding their Challengers and then tried to take it in for a warranty repair only to find out their warranty was completely void. Then they argue Magnussen-Moss Act. Then all the lawyers get involved...

Long story short.. No. It's not as easy as just "adding it". MAYYBEEE you can get lucky and find a Ford dealer who will hook the computer up to add it but more likely they'll say "nope can't be done" (it totally can) "but here have you seen the new 2023 Maverick right over here?! Let's get your 2022 Maverick traded in today for ya.."

So it's disappointing you can't get it on the XL. And yep adding it will probably be possible one way or another, but almost assuredly nuking any and all warranties in the process. How's that 2.5l hybrid e-cvt with battery with electric motor with 9 computer systems working out for ya? What could possibly go wrong??
You may be correct about the part of not being able to add the factory type CC, that I'm not sure about. But aftermarket CC could almost certainly be added and it would not void the warranty. In order for it to void the warranty Ford would have to PROVE that the aftermarket CC caused any warranty related issues. And if you have it installed by a reputable installer then it's very safe bet that won't happen.

It's the same with with remote start systems. It wasn't until about 10 years ago that auto manufacturers finally started offering remote start as a factory option. Before that aftermarket was the only way to get remote start and the manufacturers loved to threaten that those aftermarket systems could void the warranty. But I never once saw or heard of a case where that actually happened. I'm not even exaggerating here, we live in the cold Northeast so I know hundreds of people between family and friends who have had aftermarket remote start installed on a new vehicle and again I never once heard of anyone having a problem. I remember a couple of people saying that the dealership would threaten them that it could void their warranty when they saw it was installed, but that never actually happened. There are laws to protect consumers and they can't just void the warranty because you install aftermarket equipment.

And like I said previously, I'm not arguing that it's not an oversight by Ford, I agree that it makes absolutely no sense. My point is that if you love everything else about the Maverick then this seems like an easy fix. I also strongly believe this is something they'll correct in the next model year. Ford has a history of reshuffling packages and options after the first year of a vehicle, it's probably based on consumer feedback.

Last edited:

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
Your argument keeps missing one very key point that has been brought up several times already in this thread and was even in the post from Ghost that you quoted. You apparently completely missed the part where he said:
I didnā€™t miss it. It still doesnā€™t change my opinion that it should be standard. I donā€™t think I should have to get it added after the fact regardless. You and ghost see it differently, no biggie.

Art Vandelay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didnā€™t miss it. It still doesnā€™t change my opinion that it should be standard. I donā€™t think I should have to get it added after the fact regardless. You and ghost see it differently, no biggie.
I'm starting to think you have poor reading comprehension because I've stated more than once in this thread already that I actually agree with you and others that it's a large oversight by Ford. I don't necessarily agree with you that it should be standard equipment on the XL, that's up to Ford to decide but I absolutely agree with everyone else that it should at least be an option. Again, as I've previously stated, my point is that if you love everything else about the Maverick then this seems like an easy fix. Or course that's not convenient and if you like the Santa Cruz or another truck equally then that would be the easy choice. But if the Maverick is the truck you want then it would just be silly to buy another truck that you don't even like when something like CC can easily be added.

Sponsored

OP
OP
douglas685

douglas685

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well after chatting a bit with some dealers, I decided today to pull trigger on a well optioned XL after-all and I'll hope for cruise control as an aftermarket later down the road.

From speaking with a few dealers, it appears they don't seem to have too big of an issue with aftermarket cruise but do warn if it damages anything those items won't be covered under warranty. They did all seem to stress NOT to try to add factory cruise from an XLT/Lariat, as modifying the computer (turning the feature on) is a big no-no in Ford's mind and is going to probably void most warranties on the truck (anything the computers touch). They seemed to be a little more open to the idea of aftermarket cruise (I'm assuming since people have been doing it forever, like remote start, etc.; though they won't install it so that will require finding a good shop to do that or DIY) but again it's kinda at your own risk so make sure the one you get is a good one which won't damage anything and can be reverted back to stock easily; shouldn't be a problem if done right and it doesn't damage anything.

Stoked for my truck to arrive in the coming months.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I would literally bet money on it being as easy as buying the stalk/buttons/whatever and installing it. Theres been three new vehicles in the past 5 years Ive looked into where that is factually how easy it is using all stock parts bought from the dealer. The wiring and ability is there, I flat out guarantee it. Add the factory parts, MAYBE tinker with a computer setting to enable it. If its available on the higher trims and both engines without issue then the ability IS there on the base. They wouldnt make a separate dash wiring harness in this day and age for something as stupid as cruise.

I think cruise is absolutely useless and am happy it isnt in the base XL but if people want it, itll be easy to add with factory parts and probably even by the dealer themselves. Thats how the other vehicles Ive looked into worked. The dealer literally offered to do it on the base models of those cars using all the factory parts. All this hub bub over it is pure lunacy. If you can add cruise control to a base manual Kia Soul with two dealer purchased parts and 30 minutes of time I absolutely refuse to believe an offering from Ford wouldnt be just as easy.

Edit: Honestly what I find most hilarious about that rambling post of yours is the insight on old cruise control systems from the aftermarket. Now THAT is something I wouldnt ever trust or even have the vaguest thought of doing even if I wanted cruise. Nowadays its beyond easy to add factory cruise. Hooking up some random cheap junk aftermarket cruise system? Thats insanity, I wouldnt ever install something like that. Ive done sketchy mods in the past but hooking some generic cruise up to the actual throttle control of my car? Sketchy AF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
douglas685

douglas685

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol I agree with you, however it's that "tinker with a computer setting to enable it" part that's the problem. Yes, you'll likely have to do that. And yes, you'll void the complete computer system warranty in Ford's mind when you do. And again, you can argue Magnussen Moss Act but then everyone's throwing lawyers at each other and it becomes a whole mess. Maybe I'm wrong and we'll get lucky and it'll be enabled as-is so just some buttons are needed, but I'm guessing not. And funny thing is it's basically 0 risk if you use OEM Ford Buttons and just enable it, but again Ford will be very very displeased with you if you do.. Or not, since you'll now be footing the bill for repairs. Silly, but that's the way the world works.

As for aftermarket options, I will be VERY picky which one I go with and will make sure it's something used for fleets or lots and lots of installs so it's very bug-tested, otherwise I may just go without while under warranty. šŸ™„

hondabuster

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav hybrid ,tacoma
It seems all car makers do this, it isnt just Ford. They package useless and over priced crap, in a package, knowing that people only want the one item, like cruise control.
Sad thing is, when you go to sell it, youll have to concede some value due to the cruise not being factory installed

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Everyone saying the elephant is CC, and I'm over here like, what about the lack of AWD on the hybrid? If CC is the elephant then no AWD hybrid is the blue whale in the room. It's cheaper to step up to XLT than to XL with 2.0 and AWD!!

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Everyone saying the elephant is CC, and I'm over here like, what about the lack of AWD on the hybrid? If CC is the elephant then no AWD hybrid is the blue whale in the room. It's cheaper to step up to XLT than to XL with 2.0 and AWD!!
probably because you can't use AWD with the CVT drive on hybrid (FWD only). Hybrid has different rear suspension setup. Probably requires a different wiring harness. May even involve new SW (more $ for Ford) for the computers too. The 2.0L and AWD come together as a package- IIRC you can have 2.0 without AWD but you can't have AWD without 2.0. That hybrid XL is barebones for $20k and people can't expect it to be all things for all people and all needs at that price. It's very nicely equipped as it is for an entry level vehicle...

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I wish more people would use cruise control. Itā€™s annoying to be traveling down the freeway with your cruise on and you get that vehicle that just keeps going fast and slow, fast and slow.
with CA drivers constantly changing lanes and squeezing into the most dangerous little amount of room between you and car in front and massive stop and go "rush hour" traffic on nearly every freeway 24/7 I found very few times I could even use my CC anywhere near a city. I moved away in 2017 and the couple times I've been back it has only gotten worse, especially going north/south any distance on I-5 or 1-15.

Dbergie

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan, Kia
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
with CA drivers constantly changing lanes and squeezing into the most dangerous little amount of room between you and car in front and massive stop and go "rush hour" traffic on nearly every freeway 24/7 I found very few times I could even use my CC anywhere near a city. I moved away in 2017 and the couple times I've been back it has only gotten worse, especially going north/south any distance on I-5 or 1-15.
I live in Northern California right on I-5. I use CC daily. In the cities yea you canā€™t really use it. So, if you donā€™t have CC and youā€™re on the open road, please donā€™t be that guy that keeps passing me then slowing down.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
probably because you can't use AWD with the CVT drive on hybrid (FWD only). Hybrid has different rear suspension setup. Probably requires a different wiring harness. May even involve new SW (more $ for Ford) for the computers too. The 2.0L and AWD come together as a package- IIRC you can have 2.0 without AWD but you can't have AWD without 2.0. That hybrid XL is barebones for $20k and people can't expect it to be all things for all people and all needs at that price. It's very nicely equipped as it is for an entry level vehicle...
I'll just say what everyone else is saying about the CC, I get that a 20k truck wont come with everything I want, but i want the option for an additional charge. Yes, a 2.0 is available w AWD, but $3300 is a big step up on a 20k truck. And it also only gets like 24 MPGs which is a big step down in efficiency. The Escape already has hybrid AWD. I think this is just a way to squeeze 3300 bones outta people.
Sponsored