Sponsored

Shift SYS Fault - Service Required (Hybrid CVT)

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm sorry to report that my Hybrid Maverick is still at the Dealer for repairs. They've had it since Sept. 13th which tallies a full month now. According to Ford Customer Service, they have a "Master Technician" helping out the Dealer with the repair. So far, they do not have a clue where the problem lies. I guess they put out a Service Bulletin looking for another dealer that may have encountered this issue. (No luck there either) Seems like my Maverick has a unique problem. For my Maverick, this fault only occurs when it's been driven and all warmed up. It has never happened during a cold start.

For instance, I would drive several miles to a store, get out and do a little shopping for say 15 mins. Then, when I returned to the truck, I'd turn it on, shift into "D" and the gear selector light would blink on+off - the parking brake would come on - and the "Shift SYS Fault" message would appear on the display.

Sometimes, after waiting an hour or so, the truck would correctly shift into "D" - I could release the parking brake - and off I'd go. Recently in one of the Dealers attempts, this occured and the tech had to wait 4 hours before the truck would shift into drive and he could return to the dealership. In other tests, he was able to reset the system with the computer he had plugged in but not this time. He could manually release the parking brake through his computer but when he shifted into "D", the parking brake came right back on.

To me, that suggests a bad connection or bad ground in a "Heat Generating" circuit. For instance, a high voltage circuit or a control module processing chip. It looks like "TJS" has the 2.0L ICE model. Let me know what they find. It would help to know if this problem exists in both Hybrid and ICE Mavericks. That would help troubleshooting and eliminate the high voltage circuit.
The good news is, they are finally giving me a rental car.

I can easily get my money back via the California Lemon Law but not a replacement Maverick. I want a Hybrid Maverick so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Sponsored

Gvmumbral

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm sorry to report that my Hybrid Maverick is still at the Dealer for repairs. They've had it since Sept. 13th which tallies a full month now. According to Ford Customer Service, they have a "Master Technician" helping out the Dealer with the repair. So far, they do not have a clue where the problem lies. I guess they put out a Service Bulletin looking for another dealer that may have encountered this issue. (No luck there either) Seems like my Maverick has a unique problem. For my Maverick, this fault only occurs when it's been driven and all warmed up. It has never happened during a cold start.

For instance, I would drive several miles to a store, get out and do a little shopping for say 15 mins. Then, when I returned to the truck, I'd turn it on, shift into "D" and the gear selector light would blink on+off - the parking brake would come on - and the "Shift SYS Fault" message would appear on the display.

Sometimes, after waiting an hour or so, the truck would correctly shift into "D" - I could release the parking brake - and off I'd go. Recently in one of the Dealers attempts, this occured and the tech had to wait 4 hours before the truck would shift into drive and he could return to the dealership. In other tests, he was able to reset the system with the computer he had plugged in but not this time. He could manually release the parking brake through his computer but when he shifted into "D", the parking brake came right back on.

To me, that suggests a bad connection or bad ground in a "Heat Generating" circuit. For instance, a high voltage circuit or a control module processing chip. It looks like "TJS" has the 2.0L ICE model. Let me know what they find. It would help to know if this problem exists in both Hybrid and ICE Mavericks. That would help troubleshooting and eliminate the high voltage circuit.
The good news is, they are finally giving me a rental car.

I can easily get my money back via the California Lemon Law but not a replacement Maverick. I want a Hybrid Maverick so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Fudge, I wouldn't know what to do either if this would happen to my Hybrid Mav.

I gues I would wait for the fix and hope to get some kind of money back, but pretty sure FORD won't cut a check out for me.

I love my Mav and would not want to get rid of it.

Hope yours get's fixed ASAP!

Keep us posted, please.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Shift SYS Fault" update..... After 8 weeks at the dealer for repairs, they decided to replace the transmission. I'll let you know how that goes.

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Each time I read about a sad hybrid story I say a prayer and give thanks my truck was produced on 8-24-22 which was a Wednesday.

Last edited:

Pflash23

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Alto Blue XLT with LUX package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrid XLT built 8/30/2022, Received 11/12/2022. 578 Miles. Shift System Fault came up while trying to leave work. Ford roadside assistance arranged tow to dealer. Dealer supplied loaner car immediately. (Shout out to Jamie at West Herr Ford) Waiting on results. Except for the stress everybody has been very professional and helpful.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
“Shift SYS Fault” update Dec 3rd (12 weeks)…........
The Good news - - my Dealer (Aaron Ford) finally was able to get a new transmission and installed it last week. They called and filled me in on the progress but wanted to test and verify that the new transmission would fix the problem. Their troubleshooting pointed to a bad transmission module. Apparently there are 4 modules inside the transmission which are only accessible by tearing down the CVT transmission. (Ford Engineering should look at adding external access to those modules.)

The Bad news - - I haven’t received any more updates suggesting the new transmission did not fix the issue.

Aaron Ford and Ford Customer Service have been (increasingly) very nice. Ford sent me a $500 gift card and also got me a loaner car a few weeks ago. Seems like this has really stumped the Ford “Master Techs”. In my younger years I was a maintenance engineer and my thinking is they need to look at the system programming to identify what “triggers” this fault. The “Techs” didn’t write the code and they only receive what the programmers want them to see, i.e. some goofy fault code. So, elevate this up to the software guys; let them figure it out. (my Hybrid XLT was built 3/31/22)

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
“Shift SYSY Fault” update Dec 12th. . . . . . . New CVT Transmission….

Well, I got my Maverick back with a new transmission. Been driving it for a week and haven’t experienced any faults. I’ve been getting about 30 MPG around town :( and about 34 MPG on the freeway. Wish it did better around town but I’m hoping it will improve with more driving.

I’ll attach the repair info at the bottom for those curious folks. The Tech working on my truck had a thought after he completed the transmission install… he would have liked to change out the emergency brake actuator to see if that was the culprit. That was one thing that was not tried before installing the new trans. Guess we’ll have to wait for a new Ford service repair bulletin after the Ford engineers (that didn’t retire), identify the cause of the ‘Shift SYS Fault’ by dissecting my old CVT transmission.

Ford Maverick Shift SYS Fault - Service Required (Hybrid CVT) New Trans info

Pflash23

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid Alto Blue XLT with LUX package
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Same P07E6 engine code as OLDguy66. Same result - new ECVT transmission installed. Received vehicle back on 12/16/22. No problems so far.

Dealer has been great and so has my customer service agent at Ford. The whole situation has been handled extremely well.

Tailender

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 F-250, 2011 Rogue, 2012 Jeep Liberty
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

“Shift SYSY Fault” update Dec 12th. . . . . . . New CVT Transmission….

Well, I got my Maverick back with a new transmission. Been driving it for a week and haven’t experienced any faults. I’ve been getting about 30 MPG around town :( and about 34 MPG on the freeway. Wish it did better around town but I’m hoping it will improve with more driving.

I’ll attach the repair info at the bottom for those curious folks. The Tech working on my truck had a thought after he completed the transmission install… he would have liked to change out the emergency brake actuator to see if that was the culprit. That was one thing that was not tried before installing the new trans. Guess we’ll have to wait for a new Ford service repair bulletin after the Ford engineers (that didn’t retire), identify the cause of the ‘Shift SYS Fault’ by dissecting my old CVT transmission.

New Trans info.jpg
With those low mpgs have you tried using the ev coach? I know it only takes a little extra foot pressure to go out of electric and into hybrid which will use more gas.

Synthesyze

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Shift SYS Fault - Service Required (Hybrid CVT) 0667C294-4D37-42C9-AC7A-042104932182
Having the same issue right now. Stuck in a Meijer parking lot on Christmas Eve…

Sponsored
OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I feel your pain. Be interesting to known if you also got the "P07E6" Fault and you get a new transmission.

So far, my new transmission is working well. I took a trip; San Diego to Phoenix and back with no problems. Averaged 34 MPG. I noticed I'm getting much more regenerative charging with the new transmission and the truck will run more in electric mode. I still only average 32-34 MPG around town but hope it's due to the hilly terrain around me. I use the EV Coach and ECO mode to do my best keeping it in electric mode but going up hills really hurts the MPG. Everytime I leave my house it's 1 mile up a gradual hill, 200 feet in elevation, with 4 stop lights. Of course the lights are always Red going both ways.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like I'm having the same issue with mine. Luckily turning off and on again clears it (for now) not looking forward to more weeks with the maverick at the dealership, may be selling when warranty expires. Ford quality is really bad, this vehicle gets great mpg, but not very reliable.

OP
OP
Oldguy66

Oldguy66

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid, Sienna, HR-V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Like you (Rick and Morty),I was able to clear the fault at first but it got progressively worse taking longer to reset as time went on. Tell your dealer you bet it's a "P07E6" fault. I haven't had any issues since they replaced my transmission.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got the same error on mine. I can’t say that it’s heat related because it’s 0 degrees Fahrenheit right now and it hasn’t been driven in 3 days. I now have a parking brake error, shift sys error, and constant deep sleep warnings. It has never died on me but I’m not sure I can trust driving it now. Sticking with the F150 until the dealer can get me in next month.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try a 12v battery test. Once the dealership replaced the battery under warranty, mine has been doing well with no issues since. Good luck!
Sponsored