Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of the major differences in production is that the hybrids will be scheduled and built right away unlike last year. I believe hybrid didn’t start production until last December 21.
Incorrect. Hybrids were being built starting mid-September same as EcoBoost retail orders. But due to EPA (re)certification they couldn't be released from the factory until end of November.
Sponsored

uwmcscott

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This will be the second new vehicle of 12 I bought I'll pay sticker for. The other was a Sunburst Orange 2007 HHR panel, that no one had. Local dealer bought it from another dealer and wouldn't haggle, but they gave me a decent trade.
Supply and demand certainly change the way we do things ;-)

As I was sitting there filling out the order, I was reminiscing with the sales guy to the "old days" of 2017 when I purchased my current F150 ( from him ). Sticker was around $53K and I paid $39,500. I think it's going to be a long time ( if ever ) that the buying power swings back to our side of the fence.

I could absolutely see manufacturers sticking to this business model though. Ford's CEO even hinted at a direct customer sales model some day, kind of like Tesla is doing. Dealers will fight it of course but look at how that worked out for all the retail stores that fought Amazon.

RockHoundTX

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My dealer had 45 total, I ordered on the 3rd day of 6.
Wow. I wonder why they are so unpopular in Illinois? Here in Texas it is the exact opposite. Even the smallest of the small dealers that are in a town of 1,000 people have dozens of orders. Mid-size dealers are taking hundreds of orders. Last year one of the dealers mentioned that he personally had already taken 29 orders and "was just one of 5 dealers that had similar number of orders". This is in a town of 20,000. When I talked to him back in Auguest, he mentioned that "interest this year in the Maverick is way, way higher than last year.". I would not be at all surprised if this mid-sized dealer in a rural community took 200+ orders. Interesting, I pass by this dealership almost every day. I have yet to ever see even a single Maverick on their lot in the last year. In the last year, I have seen a total of 2 Mavericks in my area (and both of these were in a High School parking lot for a football game a few weeks back). That pretty much tells me that they did not get anywhere close to the 100+ Mavericks that they ordered last year.

pgreen1959

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only problem with the direct sales to customers is that many states (Florida where I live) have dealer laws requiring the purchase from a dealer. That's the issue that Tesla has right now. The NDA is a very powerful lobbying group. It may take time to get there.

Sponsored

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wow. I wonder why they are so unpopular in Illinois? Here in Texas it is the exact opposite. Even the smallest of the small dealers that are in a town of 1,000 people have dozens of orders. Mid-size dealers are taking hundreds of orders. Last year one of the dealers mentioned that he personally had already taken 29 orders and "was just one of 5 dealers that had similar number of orders". This is in a town of 20,000. When I talked to him back in Auguest, he mentioned that "interest this year in the Maverick is way, way higher than last year.". I would not be at all surprised if this mid-sized dealer in a rural community took 200+ orders. Interesting, I pass by this dealership almost every day. I have yet to ever see even a single Maverick on their lot in the last year. In the last year, I have seen a total of 2 Mavericks in my area (and both of these were in a High School parking lot for a football game a few weeks back). That pretty much tells me that they did not get anywhere close to the 100+ Mavericks that they ordered last year.
In the south, everyone drives a truck. Around Chicago, it's about 50% SUV, 20% truck, 10% van/mini van, and 20% cars. Trucks can't park in most towns here on the street overnight without being ticketed. Luckily, mine is not one of them. Also around this area, a lot of people are keeping up with the joneses. Not many people looking for a $25-$35K truck here. They are spending $50-90K on trucks, and the same on SUV's, then let them rust away driving in the salt. People look at you different when you tell them you ordered a $25k truck. I don't care, I like the idea of a 42mpg city truck.

Last edited:

LSchicago

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The only problem with the direct sales to customers is that many states (Florida where I live) have dealer laws requiring the purchase from a dealer. That's the issue that Tesla has right now. The NDA is a very powerful lobbying group. It may take time to get there.
That's federal law with ICE vehicles. Tesla has been able to get around that law in most states with his "Appliances"

uwmcscott

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would agree, there are many factors that would have to be overcome if they really wanted to do it, and it would take time. But if that's what the market wants that's where they will go eventually and if they don't someone else will. In essence, the pre-order program is already a step in that direction. Ford is calling the shots on allocations and managing the process after the order is placed for the most part. There's no perfect solution but as a consumer I like the idea of having more say in the process. And paying a little more (MSRP) to get exactly what I want via a special order is nice. Especially vs the alternative of haggling back and forth with multiple dealers on existing inventory.

OP
OP
daddio211

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm really thinking I should have also ordered an EcoBoost just to be safe. I would expect if I ordered both, the EB would arrive first then I could sell it when the hybrid arrived.

Hindsight, right?

Fingers crossed we all get our orders in a reasonable amount of time.

FordDiehard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered the ecoboost lariat awd, with a lot of the options. Fully expect to wait a year, if it comes sooner I'll be hyped. Hoping that being an ecoboost and not the hybrid will be the saving grace on getting it any sooner.
Same thoughts here on choosing the EcoBoost.

Sponsored

Grayaxe

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Fiesta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On the 16th I ordered a basic XL hybrid, got the order confirmation from Ford.
Then called the dealer back to add on 360 and spray in bed liner. Received another confirmation email from Ford.
Then the next day saw the list of constrained items... @.@
My dealer straight up said don't expect it for at least 6 months.
I'm going to remain hopeful I'll see mine built though!

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An XL Hybrid with "no constraints" is an oxymoron. LOL

TdotMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered Ecoboost with no contrained items. I wonder if I'm lucky I get scheduled by end of year and get it beginning of 2023?

Finnster

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy's
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered Ecoboost with no contrained items. I wonder if I'm lucky I get scheduled by end of year and get it beginning of 2023?
What day did your order get entered?
My guess is that there will he a huge difference between Day1 orders and Day7 orders like mine!
Four months difference, maybe, Hopefully?

What I think will help is if all the Dealer "Stock" orders (which are still being accepted by Ford, AFAIK) are mostly held until Retail (customer) orders are built.

Lots of hoping and praying here. I know!

Atlas Blue

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Like many of you I ordered September 15th and received a confirmation email from Ford. I think the vast majority of us avoided all currently known constraints. I ordered an XL Hybrid with the ONLY option being the 400W inverter. I'm suspecting March - April delivery.

Go ahead, crush my dreams! When do you expect BASIC September 15th hybrids to be delivered?
Ford Maverick Speculation on MY23's being built? 1664061376158
Sponsored