Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What really grinds my gears is seeing dealers that have gamed the system, and are selling USED Mavericks with like 15 miles for 10K plus over MSRP. Seems highly likely some of these dealers had employees and/or family members order new Mavericks, then immediately sell them right back to the dealer so they could mark them up and make a substantial profit under the radar of Ford's corporate gaze. (Something to be aware of @Ford Motor Company, not that I expect anything is really going to change in the near future.)

Crestview Ford in Florida is doing that very thing right now with both a Maverick XLT ($11.6K markup), a Mustang Mach-e GT ($16.5k markup), a Bronco Wildtrack ($17k markup), and a F-250 Lariat ($25.4k markup). All have less than 100 miles on the odometer according to the website listing, in most cases, less than 20 miles, yet they are listed as USED.

As so many real customers are waiting on their orders to be built by Ford, it is utter BS that dealers are getting away with these actions that are taking production capacity away from paying customers that have been patiently waiting for many months, in some cases more than a year.

I love my Maverick. I love the Mustang Mach-e. I love the 750% profit I made on Ford stock back during the recession. I love that Ford did not accept bailout money during that time. But the greedy actions of dealers with their unspoken ADMs (until the last minute) and excessive Doc Fees ($995 in some cases) is really souring me on the Ford brand lately. Luckily though there is no other brand with a lineup that can compare to the Maverick AND Mach-e.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, some dealers are probably scamming the system. Of course, they can scam because they are able to sell them at these prices. But of course, they only can get these prices because of short supply. You are right; some of their practices contribute to the retail buyer having even more of a problem. I do not believe it just Ford Dealers.

Ford is lucky that there is little competition for the two models you mentioned. But nature does hate a vacuum. Some guy named Hoover figured that out and made millions. Competitors will be rushing in to fill the vacuum, and Ford will need more than luck; they will need a product better than their competitors. They will also need ONLY reputable dealers!! People do remember.

scottp01

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fiesta (on death's door)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
As so many real customers are waiting on their orders to be built by Ford, it is utter BS that dealers are getting away with these actions that are taking production capacity away from paying customers that have been patiently waiting for many months, in some cases more than a year.
This is my biggest problem with the current way Ford is handling ordering. Dealers have no reason to not screw up or delay customer orders. Every canceled order is another $5k-10k in their pocket. And it's probably the easiest thing for Ford to fix: when a customer backs out of an order, take them out of the scheduling system. If the truck is already scheduled, find another exact order and send it to that person. If there isn't an exaxt order, send it to a random dealer so the cancellation dealer isn't benefiting.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Could many be backed out of at the dealer when the go in to pick it up? Maybe getting a little better deal to move into a Ranger or F150? So they are told.

OP
OP
PriusHater

PriusHater

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rocketstem.org
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Could many be backed out of at the dealer when the go in to pick it up? Maybe getting a little better deal to move into a Ranger or F150? So they are told.
Occasionally, sure. But when one dealer – all at the same time – has a Maverick, Mach-e, Bronco and F-250 all with basically zero miles, that sure looks fishy.

Sponsored

JackZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Cruz, Ford Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I talked with a salesman from Crestview Ford here in Florida about a XLT he had listed for $41k. Red, ecoboost with no other options. He told me the dealership is “paying” $10k over MSRP at an auction for these trucks. Didn’t say what kind of auction.

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I talked with a salesman from Crestview Ford here in Florida about a XLT he had listed for $41k. Red, ecoboost with no other options. He told me the dealership is “paying” $10k over MSRP at an auction for these trucks. Didn’t say what kind of auction.
So this is a used truck? Had to have been titled to original buyer? Carvana offered me 7K more than I paid. Carvana selling them to dealers?

JackZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Cruz, Ford Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So this is a used truck? Had to have been titled to original buyer? Carvana offered me 7K more than I paid. Carvana selling them to dealers?
Not necessarily used. Other dealers could be selling new trucks at auctions. But I really do not know how this works. I didn’t ask questions about it.

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think more likely, these dealers are offering people a ton of money to turn around and sell it back. If I was given the option to be given a check to walk away from my order, for 5k+, that would be awful hard to turn down. I know when the shortage started, a lot of dealers called people that recently bought vehicles and offered them a premium to sell them back. ( My dad bought an F-150 and got a good offer from his dealer, but he NEEDED the truck)

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think more likely, these dealers are offering people a ton of money to turn around and sell it back. If I was given the option to be given a check to walk away from my order, for 5k+, that would be awful hard to turn down. I know when the shortage started, a lot of dealers called people that recently bought vehicles and offered them a premium to sell them back. ( My dad bought an F-150 and got a good offer from his dealer, but he NEEDED the truck)
Exactly. There are hundreds of people who have ordered this vehicle without a real need for it. It's sometimes a third or fourth vehicle for them.

If they can make a couple thousand dollars off of essentially doing nothing, why not?

At the end of the day, I personally don't care if dealers mark up vehicles that are on the lot, as long as they honor MSRP for orders.

If some moron wants to pay $40,000 for an XL, so be it.

Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your fellow members here on MTC are doing the same kinds of things. Ordering multiple Mavs, with intent to buy only one, and buying one then flipping it. Ordinarily that wouldn’t be economically feasible, but these are not ordinary times.

Czl04

Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav
What really grinds my gears is seeing dealers that have gamed the system, and are selling USED Mavericks with like 15 miles for 10K plus over MSRP. Seems highly likely some of these dealers had employees and/or family members order new Mavericks, then immediately sell them right back to the dealer so they could mark them up and make a substantial profit under the radar of Ford's corporate gaze. (Something to be aware of @Ford Motor Company, not that I expect anything is really going to change in the near future.)

Crestview Ford in Florida is doing that very thing right now with both a Maverick XLT ($11.6K markup), a Mustang Mach-e GT ($16.5k markup), a Bronco Wildtrack ($17k markup), and a F-250 Lariat ($25.4k markup). All have less than 100 miles on the odometer according to the website listing, in most cases, less than 20 miles, yet they are listed as USED.

I love my Maverick. I love the Mustang Mach-e. I love the 750% profit I made on Ford stock back during the recession. I love that Ford did not accept bailout money during that time. But the greedy actions of dealers with their unspoken ADMs (until the last minute) and excessive Doc Fees ($995 in some cases) is really souring me on the Ford brand lately. Luckily though there is no other brand with a lineup that can compare to the Maverick AND Mach-e.
Get over it. It's business. Dealers ain't the red cross.

Jemers22

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

That's ok... They are stuck with those gas guzzling Broncos now..... Lots of them not even being picked up by legit customers...

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your fellow members here on MTC are doing the same kinds of things. Ordering multiple Mavs, with intent to buy only one, and buying one then flipping it. Ordinarily that wouldn’t be economically feasible, but these are not ordinary times.
It is just GPU scalping on a higher scale.

I myself have 2 orders in, and have a Maverick.

Order 1, I never got confirmation, and when I went to the dealer the ordering guy waved at his desk and stacks of papers and said " I am busy, I will get to it eventually". This was the end of October, and worried me that they were incompetent / lazy and hadn't and wouldn't submit my order properly.

Order 2, I went to another dealer, said I wanted MSRP, and wanted to make sure it got put in properly. They have some dumb 1k add on package, but I was worried about cutoff so I agreed and placed it, he submitted right in front of me, got the confirmation email in 15 minutes.

My current truck, was not bought as an investment, but rather a hedge again my car crapping out. Someone here shared a MSRP Maverick 7 hours away, the dealer was awesome, took my trade and honored MSRP.

But make no mistake, when I trade or sell to get my ordered truck, I will 100% take advantage of the increase in value, to offset my investment.

Never set out to have orders to flip / profit on, but a crappy dealer led me down this road.

I just want the Hybrid I ordered :cry: