I am beginning to change my mind!

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
It's meant to meet a price point, for better or worse. Even the perfect car for you will have negatives. The only thing on your list that makes me raise an eyebrow is the lack of fog lights as an option. That's it.

If you have to try to find something to make you like this truck, the Maverick should be an easy pass.
Sponsored

Nighowl2000

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford Maverick lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Led projector lighting is awesome so fogs are not needed. The lighting lights up the front of the truck with no dead spots that the fogs would light up. Also lights up the corner of ditches Which is great for spotting wild life.

Seats get the seat covers from the Ford accessory site if you don't like the color of the Lariat trim.

Shifter knob... Ya it's weird but saves alot of space in the console area. Go look at the ranger and see how much room the shifter takes up.

PaulieVee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick AWD XLT. 4k, Lux pkg
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, the concept of muscle memory is important too. If somebody made an aftermarket stick shifter I'd think about it. In an emergency my hands absolutely already know how to throw a stick shifter into reverse. Not so sure about the knob. I get that sticks are an anachronism but sometimes the traditional designs are best.
Agree completely!

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you do not like the way something looks, like under the hood, don't look at it.

That's what I do and it works really well.

I install Rough Country neoprene seat covers on all my trucks. They fit great, waterproof and machine washable. I uninstall and toss them in the wash about every 2 years. My seats stay new looking, in case I want to sell down the road.

Ford makes a knob for the shifter but doesn't make a knob for anything else, it seems. I don't like it, but not enough not to buy the truck.

WannaMav

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, the concept of muscle memory is important too. If somebody made an aftermarket stick shifter I'd think about it. In an emergency my hands absolutely already know how to throw a stick shifter into reverse. Not so sure about the knob. I get that sticks are an anachronism but sometimes the traditional designs are best.
We survived the shift from three on the tree to four on the floor unscathed and will adapt to this in little to no time too. :geek:

Would be nicer if the dial were not in such ready reach of a mischievous or clumsy passenger, though.

Sponsored

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
I believe the dial wont hit into gear without brake press.. It also slams into park with door opens, just fyi..

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We survived the shift from three on the tree to four on the floor unscathed and will adapt to this in little to no time too. :geek:

Would be nicer if the dial were not in such ready reach of a mischievous or clumsy passenger, though.
I hate any and all change. There, I said it :D

If you have a stick you can bump it into neutral but it has a stop before it goes into reverse. I don't think the mav knob does that. IIRC if you try to put it into reverse it shuts the motor off if you are moving. Kinda hard to rock it when it's stuck if it does that. Can anyone chime in on what the actual behavior of the knob is in those situations?

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruze
If you do not like the way something looks, like under the hood, don't look at it.

That's what I do and it works really well.

I install Rough Country neoprene seat covers on all my trucks. They fit great, waterproof and machine washable. I uninstall and toss them in the wash about every 2 years. My seats stay new looking, in case I want to sell down the road.

Ford makes a knob for the shifter but doesn't make a knob for anything else, it seems. I don't like it, but not enough not to buy the truck.

You think this brand will make seat covers sized to the Maverick? All I can find from them is F-150 and up.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's useful to see a list like this -- where someone goes through the Maverick and tries to point out the weak spots. It counterbalances the fan praise and helps with the decision-making process.

Luckily, for me at least, most of the things on the list make little or no difference. And a couple of the negatives are really positives for me. For example...

-- I like the dial shifter (I've used one on other vehicles). I find it easy to use and it stays out of the way, so I don't end up bumping my coffee cup on it.

-- I'm happy with the power meter. With dual traction power sources -- ICE and electric -- and engine speed decoupled from vehicle speed through an eCVT, it makes sense to me. I have a tach in my Jeep but my ears still work so I seldom look at it.

I would like some fog lights, though.

So... to each his own.
I don't anything past the "we got your order email yet" but:
1. Fog lights. Can live without them but if had them I would use them to get off road to the nearest motel. I have much better justification by referring to them as "Armadillo detectors" (in Texas).
2. Tach. & Power meter. Would make more sense and functionality (particularly for the vast majority of drivers who know a tach as the dial that moves when they step on gas and nothing meaningful beyond that) by changing display showing preferred operating ranges. Maybe by a little bouncing ball (I miss those) through the two preferred rpm ranges depicted by graphs in green, less optimal rpm ranges depicted in yellow and engine off ranges depicted in blue. This graph could be just above a similar graph depicting the actual and preferred usage of the electrical usage as well as a simultaneous display of the operation of the starter/generator motor.
3. BUT WAIT! (It gets even better). Screen #2 = a chart (aka temp tach) of the most important (A to Z) temp sensors displayed in green-yellow-red. (Think arrgh "the temp of the field coil of the elec drive motor just turned yellow" but look the temp of the transxle coolant is still green, maybe I should not be pulling this trailer at 78mph) (maybe at this point you get the warning that your maverick is adjusting the position within the lane found necessary because you been watch screen too much).
4. Computer sub routine selector knob AKA "Shift knob" ....etc......

Sponsored

CasaKarl

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Avalanche, Toyota RAV4, Ford CMax
Well I am seriously interested in the hybrid as a ā€œsecond truckā€ and have gone so far as to make an appointment to order a Lariat in black with the lux package. Using it as a driver and commuter vehicle and keeping my GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2 V8 primary as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer and ATVs. Been researching this 6 ways to Sunday and I can say there is a lot to like about the whole concept. However there are now several things I really donā€™t like and they are adding g up for me:

1. What do you mean no fog lights?? Even in the Lariat? Come onā€¦..
2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. Itā€™s ugly, ungainly to use Iā€™m sure and not at all truck like.
3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, itā€™s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really donā€™t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. Iā€™d much prefer a tach.
4. Iā€™m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, itā€™s gonna look all stained Iā€™m thinking. Plus sometimes Iā€™m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why canā€™t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you canā€™t even get cruise so thatā€™s another thing that kinda bugs me.
5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.
6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled upā€¦idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I REALLY want to like/buy one of these but there are more and more things showing up that really bug me. I guess the mani ones are the fog lights and the washing machine knob.
Iā€™m also not impressed with the chaos under the hood - looks like a total mess and a lot of after thoughts about where to put things in because the design 7th grade team really didnā€™t know what they needed where. Looks like a maintenance nightmare just to get to simple tasks.

Reactions: bgn

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Iā€™m also not impressed with the chaos under the hood - looks like a total mess and a lot of after thoughts about where to put things in because the design 7th grade team really didnā€™t know what they needed where. Looks like a maintenance nightmare just to get to simple tasks.
All new vehicles look like a mess under the hood. It's pretty normal.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Led projector lighting is awesome so fogs are not needed. The lighting lights up the front of the truck with no dead spots that the fogs would light up. Also lights up the corner of ditches Which is great for spotting wild life.

Seats get the seat covers from the Ford accessory site if you don't like the color of the Lariat trim.

Shifter knob... Ya it's weird but saves alot of space in the console area. Go look at the ranger and see how much room the shifter takes up.
RE: Shifter knob... Ya it's weird but saves a lot of space in the console area. - I bought the Santa Cruz last week - and one of the complaints I have is that the Shifter is cumbersome at times: 1. I LOVE using Tiptronic shifting {had a 2005 BMW X3 that I never changed the brakes- DOWNSHIFTING ALL THE TIME - well over 100k miles!} (+ it has paddles on the steering wheel too!!) When I use the Shifter and pull it over toward me - it hits my right leg - not uncomfortable, noticeable, a little aggravating - but liveable. 2. When the shifter is in P and all the way forward - it is quite challenging to get into the storage cubby area immediately in front of the shifter.

This is food for thought / consideration... the Santa Cruz is a viable option, more SUV / SAV or whatever "car like" as oppose to the Mav more Truck like.

OP
OP
envelopo

envelopo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sierra 1500, 17 Volt, 73 Vette, 70 Jeepster,
Welp No.......the ford really looks like shit. Here are a few, my 2017 Volt (bought instead of the Mav), my 18 Sierra 1500 and some stock pics of a Tacoma, Hyundai Santa Cruz and the Mav for comparison......no comparison really. I still like the Mav, just saying the engine bay is bad, real bad.
Ford Maverick I am beginning to change my mind! 1644356111663
Ford Maverick I am beginning to change my mind! 1644356321653
Ford Maverick I am beginning to change my mind! 1644356628133
Ford Maverick I am beginning to change my mind! 1644356436385
Ford Maverick I am beginning to change my mind! 1644356241292

thev8man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid XL, 2023 XLT Tremor
Engine
Undecided
Clubs

Well I am seriously interested in the hybrid as a ā€œsecond truckā€ and have gone so far as to make an appointment to order a Lariat in black with the lux package. Using it as a driver and commuter vehicle and keeping my GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2 V8 primary as a tow vehicle for our travel trailer and ATVs. Been researching this 6 ways to Sunday and I can say there is a lot to like about the whole concept. However there are now several things I really donā€™t like and they are adding g up for me:

1. What do you mean no fog lights?? Even in the Lariat? Come onā€¦..
2. That shifter looks like it belongs on our Speed Queen washer. Seriously I hate it. Itā€™s ugly, ungainly to use Iā€™m sure and not at all truck like.
3. The power meter thing instead of a proper tach. My wife has an Avalon hybrid and it has that power meter too, itā€™s a thing you look at initially but after a while you really donā€™t care, your gonna drive it how you have to drive and efficiently will be what it is. Iā€™d much prefer a tach.
4. Iā€™m pretty tepid on the upholstery on the Lariat esp with the orange.The XLT is a no go for me because they put that light cloth right where stuff gets spilled, itā€™s gonna look all stained Iā€™m thinking. Plus sometimes Iā€™m dirty for whatever reason and that whole light blue cloth deal is just gonna be a mess I think. why canā€™t they offer a simple black option across the board? Really the XL interior looks the best but you canā€™t even get cruise so thatā€™s another thing that kinda bugs me.
5. This whole drawn out BS thing about not allowing journalists to publish drive reviews is very off putting.
6. Mabie the nail in the coffin for me on the maverick idea is the way the engine bay looks. Just finally saw a pic of the hybrid one and man it really looks kinda jumbled upā€¦idk about that, I need to see more pics but so far not impressed there either.

I REALLY want to like/buy one of these but there are more and more things showing up that really bug me. I guess the mani ones are the fog lights and the washing machine knob.
Get you a Hybrid.

Booyah šŸ‘ŠšŸ½ šŸ˜ šŸ‘šŸ½ šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø
Sponsored