David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Morning!

We are hard at work here on the truck. Want to thank everyone for all the orders for our 3" intakes and catch cans. The 3" exhaust came off the truck yesterday to be sent to the bender to have our prototype copied, hopefully just a few weeks we will have exhausts to ship.

Yesterday, Brandon one of the techs here, got started taking the truck apart to get the stock intercooler out. What a job! Trying to figure it all out took some time and trying to do the least possible to get it out. Sadly there is no "least" possible way to do it, the front of the truck gets taken apart just about completely. With instructions I'd say it's a 2 hour job, which we will supply when we ship our kits.

The radiator, trans cooler, a/c condensor and intercooler are all mounted on one big piece of plastic which has to come out, it leaves everything just hanging there. The only cool part of all of this is the intercooler pipes/connections, they are like a cheap Wiggins clamp, nice design actually. Those pieces we will need to CNC so the stock pipes go onto our new upgraded intercooler.

The factory intercooler is tiny, extremely light weight, which makes for a terrible heat sink. One of the largest hurdles so far on tuning the truck is heat and torque limits. The heat is a big one and doing a 1-2-3-4 pull with the truck the increase in intake air temps are ridiculously high, starting at 99F they climb to 151F, that is not acceptable and the truck cuts power because of that. Imagine towing a load and keeping the truck in any boost how high they get and how much power the truck will be robbed of.

The core is also restrictive, adding a larger better core will free up boost and drop those AIT's down to hopefully close to ambient.

Just to show the progress, here are some pictures of the truck coming apart, the intercooler plumbing connections and the stock intercooler. Today we will be putting the truck back together, minus the factory intercooler, to get measurements on what we can squeeze in there. We will put the absolute largest intercooler in we can fit and that will require some cutting of the plastic shrouding. The only hold up on releasing the intercooler kits will be the CNC work for the inlet/outlets and I'm hoping we can get our work pushed to the front.

**Last picture was added after more measuring, this shows what will need to be cut/trimmed to get an intercooler in that will actually work and perform.

Enjoy.

Ford Maverick Buschur Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost front mount intercooler FMIC development IMG_0477

Ford Maverick Buschur Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost front mount intercooler FMIC development IMG_0479

Ford Maverick Buschur Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost front mount intercooler FMIC development 5AD264AC-70F5-4764-B3A8-319CAD4B5A0C.JPG

Ford Maverick Buschur Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost front mount intercooler FMIC development IMG_0487

Ford Maverick Buschur Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost front mount intercooler FMIC development IMG_0488

Ford Maverick Buschur Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost front mount intercooler FMIC development IMG_0489
Ford Maverick Buschur Maverick 2.0 EcoBoost front mount intercooler FMIC development IMG_0490
Sponsored

Last edited:

Air Shootist

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fully loaded Maverick Lariat, Harley Fat Bob
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for all the work and know-how you guys are doing and developing for these trucks. At this point I'd say other than Ford - you are the authority on the Ford Maverick (in terms of intimate knowledge).

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for all the work and know-how you guys are doing and developing for these trucks. At this point I'd say other than Ford - you are the authority on the Ford Maverick (in terms of intimate knowledge).
I appreciate that. It's been a fun project, hardest platform I've ever seen to make good clean power with though on the tuning side. Ford has this thing choked down and hard to modify. We will get there, many would say what we have for the tuning side is ready and sell it, I don't feel that way.....until I do nothing will be released. Heat control is going to go a long way, that's why we've moved onto the intercooler.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cool…I have read heat is an issue with the Ecoboost, which is why I have gone with the 2.0 XLT tow package. Look forward to your updates and thankful your doing them. Off the subject, but what are your thoughts on the front bumper?

Darksider

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two
The IC doesnt look that small for the size of the engine. How it looks is the IC stacks against the condenser? Think the problem is air flow here. You are restricted in the back and looks like restriction up front to. While a better IC will improve the air flow will need to be addressed first.

Sponsored

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
Cast or fabbed end tanks, and will it have flow distribution vanes?

Awesome work!

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cool…I have read heat is an issue with the Ecoboost, which is why I have gone with the 2.0 XLT tow package. Look forward to your updates and thankful your doing them. Off the subject, but what are your thoughts on the front bumper?
What do you mean? The steel re-enforcement or the plastic fascia?

I also have the tow package on mine.

OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Cast or fabbed end tanks, and will it have flow distribution vanes?

Awesome work!
The end tanks will be fabbed, the cost of the core we are using combined with fab time, I don't think a cast or CNC'd tank will keep the product cost where it needs to be. No flow distribution vanes, not needed and don't work.

Z_ealot

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan 370Z, Honda Civic, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks a heck of a lot easier taking that front end apart than my 370Z lol

Brostang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 R.I.P.
The end tanks will be fabbed, the cost of the core we are using combined with fab time, I don't think a cast or CNC'd tank will keep the product cost where it needs to be. No flow distribution vanes, not needed and don't work.
Lightning fast reply! Thanks. Yeah I'm sure the vanes would be extremely minimal considering the entire volume is pressurized. Mostly looks good on paper. I enjoy your practical cost approach.

Looking forward to updated Dyno with the cooler charge.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Buschur

Buschur

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lightning fast reply! Thanks. Yeah I'm sure the vanes would be extremely minimal considering the entire volume is pressurized. Mostly looks good on paper. I enjoy your practical cost approach.

Looking forward to updated Dyno with the cooler charge.
That is correct, the entire assembly ends up being under pressure, any vanes are pointless. We messed with that type of thing over the years, one thing that will make a difference in some locations is a velocity stack, in this case, won't help either. The tanks will have a very cool design with the OE type inlet/outlets so the stock pipes work, those factory connectors are cool. That piece will require us to CNC the inlet/outlets.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Thanks for the prompt reply, the steel re-enforcement

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
upgraded intercooler and a tune is what Im waiting for from a reputable company.

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really like the idea of keeping temps down

This is the first time I will have owned a vehicle with a turbo. Having done some research, the tow package will keep engine and trans temps down, but turbo generated heat is not directly impacted…thus need for a larger intercooler. Once installed and tuned, is there a need to monitor the re-tuning as miles are put on? I’m guessing having the exhaust and muffler redo is best done when the intercooler is installed? Thanks.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really like the idea of keeping temps down

This is the first time I will have owned a vehicle with a turbo. Having done some research, the tow package will keep engine and trans temps down, but turbo generated heat is not directly impacted…thus need for a larger intercooler. Once installed and tuned, is there a need to monitor the re-tuning as miles are put on? I’m guessing having the exhaust and muffler redo is best done when the intercooler is installed? Thanks.
Most companies will retune for minor mods as you add them to your vehicle after initially buying the tuner and first tune.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.