First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They might as well have an "H" on the grill to complete the Ridgeline theft !
If they can pull Ridgeline buyers that would be superb. The Ridgeline is in a whole nother class above where this is aiming.

It doesnt remind me of the Ridgeline at all though. Wont be anywhere near as capable or beefy at the price point its aiming for.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If they can pull Ridgeline buyers that would be superb. The Ridgeline is in a whole nother class above where this is aiming.

It doesnt remind me of the Ridgeline at all though. Wont be anywhere near as capable or beefy at the price point its aiming for.
“Beefy”??? Huh? 🤔
The Maverick is already beefier by the fact it’s being built on an off-road capable platform. - 2019 Ridgeline owner

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
As far as jump seats are concerned, my 2007 Honda Fit had jump seats, and it was Honda's economy car. They made a little car much bigger inside and more useful. Sometimes it doesn't cost much to add quality features. We'll have to wait and see whether Ford adds features that make sense on the Maverick or tries to limit them in order to make their other offerings look better. The long view would be to make this little truck is desirable as possible, in order to recruit new Ford buyers that will become future big truck buyers.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I don't think that the Ridgeline and the Maverick will be cross shopped vehicles. First off, the Ridgeline is a high feature luxury mid-sized truck, whereas the Maverick is a low-cost (base trim) to "well appointed" (high-trim) compact truck. Secondly, the $10,000 to $15,000 price difference will keep potential Maverick shoppers from considering a Ridgeline; and Ridgeline shoppers may see the Maverick as too down market. If I could justify the expense of a Ridgeline, I would get a Ridgeline without hesitation (it is my favorite mid-size truck).

The Santa Cruz and the Marverick are natural born competitors. But their individual styles will attract different buyers. This divide will be as wide and as polarizing as political affiliation.

Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think that the Ridgeline and the Maverick will be cross shopped vehicles. First off, the Ridgeline is a high feature luxury mid-sized truck, whereas the Maverick is a low-cost (base trim) to "well appointed" (high-trim) compact truck. Secondly, the $10,000 to $15,000 price difference will keep potential Maverick shoppers from considering a Ridgeline; and Ridgeline shoppers may see the Maverick as too down market. If I could justify the expense of a Ridgeline, I would get a Ridgeline without hesitation (it is my favorite mid-size truck).

The Santa Cruz and the Marverick are natural born competitors. But their individual styles will attract different buyers. This divide will be as wide and as polarizing as political affiliation.
I think comparable specs are going to be closer in price than you think. I do think the Maverick will be cheaper, but I suspect that it will be closer to 5k for similar outfitting than 10-15. In theory the Ranger starts at 24k, but one that is comparable to the 37k Ridgeline is closer to 40k. I think a similar Maverick will likely be in the 32k range and that's close enough to cross shop.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think they're in totally different classes honestly. If you can option a Maverick to $35k-ish (which would be absolutely absurd for this thing), it wouldnt come close to holding a candle to a base Ridgeline. The Ridgeline will always be the far more beefy, civilized, and have higher power/towing/payload.

They arent in the same class and just because you may be able to option the Maverick up close to the same cost doesnt mean anything. Its like the people that option a Tacoma up into the $40k range. I mean yea you can but why would you? The Tundra walks all over it when it comes to capabilities.

The only competition will come from the Santa Cruz but I think that will be more Ute-ish(which isnt a bad thing). The Maverick will be less nice to drive and likely not as fancy but it'll be able to occupy the slightly heavier duty crowd and fleet type buyers. The Santa Cruz will cost more to start (likely no low level fleet trims), look a lot cooler being more ute-like, and probably have better gizmos just because Hyundai is better at that. I think the Santa Cruz has a higher chance of being cross-shopped with the Ridgeline honestly. The Ridgeline is a fancy, civilized, more expensive mid-size. The Santa Cruz will be a fancy, civilized, more expensive "compact" if thats whats were gonna be calling these things.

Reactions: Doc

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

Ridgeline Sport is not a luxury vehicle. Base 2WD starts at $34K

I think they will be compared bc both are unibody trucks, but they won’t be cross-shopped, as they are in different size classes. The Ranger and Ridgeline ARE cross-shopped, and based on sales #s, the Ranger wins! And is far more capable as a truck.

I think Ford will offer up The Maverick with all the luxury appointments they do with the Ranger and F-150. We already know they’ll be a Lariat edition with all the bells and whistles and a “Timberline” off-road capable version w a 2” lift, skid plates,and hopefully GOAT mode AWD like the Bronco Sport

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think they're in totally different classes honestly. If you can option a Maverick to $35k-ish (which would be absolutely absurd for this thing), it wouldnt come close to holding a candle to a base Ridgeline. The Ridgeline will always be the far more beefy, civilized, and have higher power/towing/payload.

They arent in the same class and just because you may be able to option the Maverick up close to the same cost doesnt mean anything. Its like the people that option a Tacoma up into the $40k range. I mean yea you can but why would you? The Tundra walks all over it when it comes to capabilities.

The only competition will come from the Santa Cruz but I think that will be more Ute-ish(which isnt a bad thing). The Maverick will be less nice to drive and likely not as fancy but it'll be able to occupy the slightly heavier duty crowd and fleet type buyers. The Santa Cruz will cost more to start (likely no low level fleet trims), look a lot cooler being more ute-like, and probably have better gizmos just because Hyundai is better at that. I think the Santa Cruz has a higher chance of being cross-shopped with the Ridgeline honestly. The Ridgeline is a fancy, civilized, more expensive mid-size. The Santa Cruz will be a fancy, civilized, more expensive "compact" if thats whats were gonna be calling these things.
But people cross shop things that aren't in the same class all the time if they're close to the same price. The biggest argument you hear when people are explaining why they bought a full sized truck when a midsized would be more than enough for them is "Well the full size was just a bit more, so I figured it would be silly not to go for it as I'm getting more for my money."

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat

It is due to SIZE, not PRICE! I want a well-appointed Maverick that is off-road capable (something NO RIDGELINE is capable of)

As far as the Ridgeline being “beefier”, as a 2019 RTL-E owner, all I can say is: 😆😆😆😆. A little Subaru Crosstrek has more ground clearance!

this thing is pathetic in terms of payload and towing capacity up against a Ranger or a Tacoma.

Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Towing and hauling is one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is economy and maneuverability. The number one reason that former owners of full size trucks give for giving up their trucks is poor fuel mileage. Keep in mind that the vast majority of full size truck buyers don't really use them as trucks.

My daily driver is a Ford fiesta ST, and sometimes parking it in today's parking spaces can be a challenge! Even my St is large compared to its counterparts of yesteryear. Meanwhile, roads and parking lots have not changed all that much. Neither have single family home garages.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Towing and hauling is one side of the coin. The other side of the coin is economy and maneuverability. The number one reason that former owners of full size trucks give for giving up their trucks is poor fuel mileage. Keep in mind that the vast majority of full size truck buyers don't really use them as trucks.

My daily driver is a Ford fiesta ST, and sometimes parking it in today's parking spaces can be a challenge! Even my St is large compared to its counterparts of yesteryear. Meanwhile, roads and parking lots have not changed all that much. Neither have single family home garages.
How can a tiny Ford Fiesta be large? My previous company had one as a runabout. How can you get any smaller than a Fiesta and still have 4 wheels? 💁🏼‍♂️

With new homes, builders skimp on the garage. They are nowhere near as big as garages of yesteryear. I didn't notice when it was empty (and that's exactly why the builders do it, bc no one does) but after buying the home, that two-car garage was only big enough for 2 cars if each was a Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit. lol!

Hence why I'm so interested in the Maverick. Once again, the right size for my needs, but I want to be able to option it the way you can a Ranger and F-150.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
When I was growing up, four wheel drive was exotic. The vast majority of light trucks were used on farms to do work. They were two wheel drive with open differentials. By today's standards they did not have a great deal of ground clearance, but they didn't need it because they didn't go "four-wheeling." Farmers typically put deeply lugged tires with flat faces on the back of their trucks, and waited for a good weather if they had work to do that was off-road, not just to keep from getting stuck but also because they didn't want to tear their place to pieces. If they needed more capability than that, they probably would use their tractor.

I'm sure those Old Farmers would have bought four wheel drive trucks if they had been available and they could afford it. But the idea that vehicles which don't have 9 inches of ground clearance and pull less than 9,000 lb are useless for work is just silly.

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
How can a tiny Ford Fiesta be large? My previous company had one as a runabout. How can you get any smaller than a Fiesta and still have 4 wheels? 💁🏼‍♂️

With new homes, builders skimp on the garage. They are nowhere near as big as garages of yesteryear. I didn't notice when it was empty (and that's exactly why the builders do it, bc no one does) but after buying the home, that two-car garage was only big enough for 2 cars if each was a Ford Fiesta or Honda Fit. lol!

Hence why I'm so interested in the Maverick. Once again, the right size for my needs, but I want to be able to option it the way you can a Ranger and F-150.
My St weighs about 2600 lb. I had a friend in college who had a Honda Civic which weighed 1900 lb! I suppose a big part of that is the amount of metal it takes to meet today's safety standards. You are right, builders often skimp on the garages. In another life I drew an awful lot of house plans, and my minimum garage size was 24x24, which are the outside measurements. I noticed that a lot of comparable garages were drawn at 22x22. If you did anything but park a car in the garage like that, you would run out of room. Nobody uses garages just to park cars! Standard garage door height was 7 ft. For a lot of full size trucks, I bet that isn't enough.

theek

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V, Subaru CrossTrek
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You don't need a frame to build a truck:

If Ford did something like this, and the rear panel on that protoyype cab sure looks reinforced, then you might be surprised by both payload and rigidity:

Ford Maverick Spotted: Maverick vs Ranger size comparison 1617465527617

Source: https://jalopnik.com/mid-size-trucks-dont-need-frames-1785674405

Ford knows trucks, and knows physics. Honda did them a solid by showing how it could be done. I suspect we'll be surprised by the capability.

It would also explain why it can only be sold in a crew cab offering.

Source: https://jalopnik.com/mid-size-trucks-dont-need-frames-1785674405
Sponsored