Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy HHR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Morning!

We ordered a new replacement turbo for the Maverick. Judging from the tuning and dyno results we are seeing there are many things holding the engine back from making any big power numbers, the turbo is definitely one of those!

We dropped the secondary cat yesterday in search of more power. This also proved what the exhaust did, the computer with the stock tune became even more unhappy cutting power back even more. After a change to the tune power came back and is more repeatable without so much heat being registered in the primary cat.

The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels.

The turbo is being sent out to our turbo builder today, we've been working closely with and setting a lot of records with Forced Performance/Xona Rotor for many-many years. They are going to work some magic on this and by the time we get it back here our production exhausts, intercooler, downpipe etc., should all be done and available. It will fall right in place with everything. Turbos will then be available through us for the trucks.

Attached are some pictures.

IMG-0891.jpg

IMG-0892.jpg

IMG-0893.jpg

IMG-0894.jpg

IMG-0895.jpg
Twin-Scroll?
Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We dropped the secondary cat yesterday in search of more power.
I'm confused. I'm assuming "secondary cat" means "secondary catalytic converter." Was that something that you added to the exhaust system when reworking it?

I ask because I think you later said you didn't remove the OEM catalytic converter.

So what was the "secondary cat" that you removed?

Deleted member 6544

Love the work you're doing for our little trucks. I understand and appreciate the folks that are into the off roading, lift kits, big nobby tires, etc. . Hell I just sold a wrangler willys with all of the above. But I want to make a little hotrod outa the Mav and you're going a long way for that to happen.
Question... how will you sell the turbos? Have a core charge? Have any idea as of yet the price point?
Thanks!

Sponsored

MaverickAngler

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How hard is it to swap out turbos on this? I’ve heard there’s some “ring” or adaptor that makes it difficult?

I haven’t worked in a factory turbo since my srt4 in 2003 lol

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't understand what you are trying to say in the first three lines of that, sorry.

I was once a large displacement guy myself and then realized how much better smaller displacement turbo engines were, I'd never go back. Other than the sound and idling through a car show with a big ass engine and large duration cam, I'll pass. Now we can make 1000+ hp, drive to the grocery store, across country and get 20+ MPG with the a/c on.
That's comical - Create a car with 1000hp to go to the grocery store.

Hot pepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Morning!

We ordered a new replacement turbo for the Maverick. Judging from the tuning and dyno results we are seeing there are many things holding the engine back from making any big power numbers, the turbo is definitely one of those!

We dropped the secondary cat yesterday in search of more power. This also proved what the exhaust did, the computer with the stock tune became even more unhappy cutting power back even more. After a change to the tune power came back and is more repeatable without so much heat being registered in the primary cat.

The turbo is small, smallest I've seen on a 2.0 engine. Explains the great response but also explains why it's tough to have large increases in power/torque/boost levels.

The turbo is being sent out to our turbo builder today, we've been working closely with and setting a lot of records with Forced Performance/Xona Rotor for many-many years. They are going to work some magic on this and by the time we get it back here our production exhausts, intercooler, downpipe etc., should all be done and available. It will fall right in place with everything. Turbos will then be available through us for the trucks.

Attached are some pictures.

IMG-0891.jpg

IMG-0892.jpg

IMG-0893.jpg

IMG-0894.jpg

IMG-0895.jpg
Sounds good but what about the Factory Warranty?

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The main problem I see with that turbo is it is plugged up with a .... oh, nevermind, can't go there.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People have to explain jokes to you a lot, don't they?

Sponsored

Boostx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 focus st
Just curious if this turbo is smaller than Ford's other vehicles with 2.0T engines (Focus ST, Edge, Escape etc..)

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the OP was simply trying to point out that in the modern world it is now quite easy to make a high horsepower car that doesnt have to live exclusively at the track.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's illegal.
In CA yes. Other places, if it passes emissions it's ok. Cats get clogged and can be replaced w/non OEM. Some places it's a visual inspection, where I live they only check lights & horn.

BMCGC

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65/67 Mustang 22 Santa Cruz 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm 61, I still remember when guys were hot rodding flat heads. Model T's and Model A's were still common at drag strips.

In the old days, first thing you rejetted the carb, then swapped out to a larger carb, more timing, headers and dual exhaust. Then you installed a bigger cam, then you pulled the heads and did a garage port and polish and had them milled for more compression. If that wasn't enough, you looked for more displacement.

There were no stroker kits, turbos were a GM thing, then a 911 thing. Superchargers were beyond what the average hot rodder could afford so it was all elbow grease and pumping as much air and fuel in and then pumping it out as fast as possible.

It was much simpler and a lot more fun back in those days. Thats why I still own a couple vintage Mustangs.

I am building a 250 six cylinder out of a 73 Comet that I want to drop into something. It's an oddball engine but a lot of fun.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.