2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hate to be the one to tell you, but virtually EVERYTHING is watching and collecting data on you. Has been so for decades, and has gotten exponentially easier with time. There is only an illusion of privacy.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Along those lines, I noticed the FordPass Android app collects your health & fitness data and sexual orientation. ....odd.
Only if you allow it.

A lot of that data is only collected if you fill it in. And then, you're allowed to accept/decline a list of app/phone permissions before the app runs. Up to you, what info you allow to be shared. Up to Ford, whether the app or certain features will work without you granting access to certain features & info. Just like other phone apps, if you don't like allowing the permissions needed for it to function, don't grant them, and uninstall the app.

Skyline

First Name
Skyline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Honda Ridgeline
Engine
Undecided
Your computers, tablets. smartphones and watches all collect data on you as well. For that matter, maybe your TV, cable box, fridge, wash machine, dryer, dishwasher, coffee maker, toaster (well, maybe not the toaster), etc., they all collect data about you. Not to mention all of the street, buildings and home cameras everywhere. The privacy train left the station long time ego and will not return.

Surveillance of the general public has been in place for a long time by now. Data is the relatively new ore and everyone mines as much as they can. We have happily participated in building up the digital infrastructure that we have, just to have it turn around to have us. Surveillance capitalism at its best and governments don't mind, especially when they can get access to the same data for free.

As for not sharing/allowing data collection, it does not work like you think it does. Take for example the iPhone, where the motto is "What goes on the iPhone, Stay on the iPhone". Certainly it is catchy, but if you actually looking for a month data flowing through the iPhone, you may see something similar like mine:

Ford Maverick Your New Car Is Watching You And Collecting Your Data 05.27.23 gafem

And this is with locked down iPhone, disabled Siri, used no access to iCloud, no uploading any data, maybe 4 - 5 seldom used apps, some functionality allowed "When in use", and shutting down the iPhone at night. In light of that, why Ford and other companies would not do this, when insurance campanies, data brokers, etc., are breathing down on their neck for access to this data? You bet your dupa that they will sell it to the highest bidder first and go down the list later. It's pretty much free money for them...

PS: I hate that as much as anyone else, if not more. Yes, declined collecting data, don't use FordPass anymore, disconnected the fuse for the telemetry module, etc. Does it help?, maybe somewhat, but I am increasingly believe that it does not matter anymore. Albeit, I still din't stop trying to prevent data collection... ;)

Sponsored

K5Blazer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yup, you do what you can, but in the end…..

Deleted member 14823

Surveillance of the general public has been in place for a long time by now. Data is the relatively new ore and everyone mines as much as they can. We have happily participated in building up the digital infrastructure that we have, just to have it turn around to have us. Surveillance capitalism at its best and governments don't mind, especially when they can get access to the same data for free.
I agree...the time to be all up in arms about data collection would have been in the 90s. Not that I like what's going on, but I'm not going to drive a car from the 70s-80s, live off the grid, and keep a burner cell phone in a Faraday bag about it either.

You bet your dupa that they will sell it to the highest bidder first
LOL! I haven't heard that word used since I left my hometown in Northeast PA a long time ago. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes. And Ford is using 99% of that data to see that 90% of driving is done at 55MPH or below and within urban/suburban settings. So, they decided to offer a truck to target that market specifically.

Telemetrics are not inherently evil.

Sponsored

zach57x

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

What I want to know is if ford is selling our maverick data to the insurance companies, and if that could be a reason my premium keeps going up!

A Sturdy Beast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav XL Hybrid, Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid