Lariat lux fwd eco vs xlt awd eco

LifeAngler

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat Eco Fwd
So long story short I have a 2022 lariat with the luxury package and eco boost Fwd that a customer backed out on. I had told the dealer I ultimately wanted awd and to keep me updated if one opens up. There was a 2023 order cancellation for a 2023 xlt with awd. I do really like the lariat trim and features on my current truck (never had one this nice) but wanted some opinions on if it would be wise to switch (if) when the 2023 vehicle comes in. I don’t off-road but I do some exploring/fishing in the woods (mainly access roads). Is it worth this switch for awd or ultimately will I regretting it? Haven’t seen an xlt in person yet. I drove a rwd for years and while I was always nervous on trails I only got stuck twice (in about 20 years of driving). Any opinions? I’m sure I have plenty of time to decide but with how I am I’m sure I’ll still be just as indecisive when the day rolls around. I live in eastern Tennessee for reference.
Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is the dealer looking for a commitment from you now, or will they give you first refusal when it comes in?

I wouldn't commit to anything until you can test drive/evaluate the XLT. Then it may be an easy decision.

WildHorse

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you have to pick only one, LUX vs AWD, the answer depends on how much you are enjoying the LUX features. Remember, those features you are more likely to use everyday, but you need the AWD only very occasionally.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Going to the XLT from the lariat with the luxury package will be quite a step down.

I would say you will miss the Lariat Lux but the AWD is a lot more capable off road.

It just depends what matters more to you.

OP
OP

LifeAngler

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No commitment. I have already bought from them so I guess that’s why. I’m sure I would have to make a decision fairly quick whenever it does come in. Mainly just wondering how capable this fwd eco boost is on service roads and it the rain. I honestly doubt I would ever need awd but I have found myself at times (in my rwd Silverado) wishing it had a different drive system in it. Only have been stuck twice in 20 years but maybe fwd will have more traction in the mud? Never owned a fwd before.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LifeAngler

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have to pick only one, LUX vs AWD, the answer depends on how much you are enjoying the LUX features. Remember, those features you are more likely to use everyday, but you need the AWD only very occasionally.
Lux features def are nice. I have only ever owned rwd trucks which is why I’m asking this. I don’t have much to compare to. Curious to see how the fwd really is. I spent years driving rwd vehicles up hills, in the snow, on dirt trails without too many issues so maybe the fwd will be just fine for me.

WildHorse

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lux features def are nice. I have only ever owned rwd trucks which is why I’m asking this. I don’t have much to compare to. Curious to see how the fwd really is. I spent years driving rwd vehicles up hills, in the snow, on dirt trails without too many issues so maybe the fwd will be just fine for me.
Given your driving experience, I'd prefer to the FWD LUX. I checked out both Lariat and XLT at local dealer's lot, then I splurged a little to get Lariat LUX.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm confused....you said you already have the Lariat FWD? What am I missing here?

OP
OP

LifeAngler

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to the XLT from the lariat with the luxury package will be quite a step down.

I would say you will miss the Lariat Lux but the AWD is a lot more capable off road.

It just depends what matters more to you.
My “off-road” would consist of service roads and such. No actual off-roading and only snow a few times a year.

OP
OP

LifeAngler

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm confused....you said you already have the Lariat FWD? What am I missing here?
Yes I have that and am considering a xlt awd the dealer had someone back out on. It’s a 2023 so may be a while before I see it.

Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes I have that and am considering a xlt awd the dealer had someone back out on. It’s a 2023 so may be a while before I see it.
lol....so why are you wondering how the FWD performs? Are you not driving it???

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sounds like you should just stay with the truck you have.

OP
OP

LifeAngler

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T
That’s the plan this weekend. I just moved so been busy with other stuff as well.

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My “off-road” would consist of service roads and such. No actual off-roading and only snow a few times a year.
the FWD Maverick is a much better platform for those types of adverse conditions than a RWD pickup. think back to when vw bugs were made into dune buggies, the engine over the driven wheels was a benefit on soft terrain.

OP
OP

LifeAngler

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plan on taking it down some dirt/gravel roads to see how it handles but like I said I haven’t had any time between work and getting settled.
Sponsored