First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Maverick Lariat & Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been doing some research on wireless dongles to connect my phone to the snyc 3 to use Android Auto. I had narrowed my search to this Motorola version:

https://www.motorola.com/us/ma1-wireless-car-adapter-for-android-auto/p

But I've also seen this model mentioned a couple times now:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BB1T9P94?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Alot of what's shared in the specs means nothing to me as I am not 'puter literate enough to know what it even means.

I do like the option for a split screen. Why is Android 9 mentioned? My phone is Android 14, so on the surface it seems like that's going backwards?

Also, the AI part? Is that for Artificial Intelligence, or something else? If artificial intelligence, how would that even fit into the mix?

What is the memory card slot for? In case you want music files or map files to access separately from your phone?

I don't mind spending the money if this is the cats meow, but if the Motorola is pretty much the same thing without a card slot and split screen I may stay with that option. I've had Motorola products in the past and trust the name.

Thanks for any knowledge and opinions.
Sponsored

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL 2.0 AWD 4K CP360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

After looking at the second dongle you mentioned, the reason that it says android 9 is because it basically turns your screen into an android 9 tablet/cell phone. The dongle has a memory card for expanding the android 9 system (downloading apps, music, videos) and a SIM card slot for adding cellular service to that dongle. According to the description, The dongle can also run CarPlay or android auto from your phone.
I could see some benefits to having the whole android operating system, but I don’t really see much use of it for me. Your results may vary.

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've had Motorola products in the past and trust the name.
Motorola has made some good products in the past, but I know nothing about this one. I do know Motorola is now owned by Lenovo, and is a chinese electronics company selling products using the Motorola name. Same for GE appliances; now owned by chinese appliance company Haier.

OP
OP
Jeff D.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Motorola has made some good products in the past, but I know nothing about this one. I do know Motorola is now owned by Lenovo, and is a chinese electronics company selling products using the Motorola name. Same for GE appliances; now owned by chinese appliance company Haier.
That figures. I bought a Gateway laptop recently, too. I thought "Hey, they're back!", but you can guess where I learned they're made after I got it home.

It's not Sioux City Iowa, either, LOL.

Sponsored

Eric From RI

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have that Motorola wireless adapter and it works fine for me. My Samsung Galaxy phone connects within a few seconds after startup, and I haven't seen any issues in the couple of months I've been using it.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After looking at the second dongle you mentioned, the reason that it says android 9 is because it basically turns your screen into an android 9 tablet/cell phone. The dongle has a memory card for expanding the android 9 system (downloading apps, music, videos) and a SIM card slot for adding cellular service to that dongle. According to the description, The dongle can also run CarPlay or android auto from your phone.
I could see some benefits to having the whole android operating system, but I don’t really see much use of it for me. Your results may vary.
All correct.

I like it since it is autonomous from my phone (which I don't connect) and so far will run any apps. I've tried. I use Music Folder Player for the way it handles music folders and its equalizer, and OSMand for nav as it's free and works without data. Have my mp3's loaded on a TF card in the dongle.

Tried Android auto in the past and was frustrated by the lack of apps. that worked with it. Maybe that has changed now. Nice to not have to plug a phone in every time as well.

Always had good luck with Motorola devices, but it seems that dongle simply eliminates the need to plug in your phone, if I read it correctly.

(Jeff-no idea what the AI business is. Maybe just the buzzword of the year.)

Cheers.

OP
OP
Jeff D.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
All correct.

I like it since it is autonomous from my phone (which I don't connect) and so far will run any apps. I've tried. I use Music Folder Player for the way it handles music folders and its equalizer, and OSMand for nav as it's free and works without data. Have my mp3's loaded on a TF card in the dongle.

Tried Android auto in the past and was frustrated by the lack of apps. that worked with it. Maybe that has changed now. Nice to not have to plug a phone in every time as well.

Always had good luck with Motorola devices, but it seems that dongle simply eliminates the need to plug in your phone, if I read it correctly.

Cheers.
Thank you, Skinnyboy. I think I understand now, this operates independantly of the phone, rather than the phone thru it. I could program any apps I wanted onto that rather than onto my phone and then to that box via BT. Theoretically I could add my Sirius XM app to that device, too, but that would require a separate SIMS card and a plan, I'm guessing.

I can see how it could have it's place especially with your OSMand app. I use the off road OnX app for snowmobiling, and do something similair. Download the maps onto an old phone with the app and plug that into my snowmobile. I can download updated trail maps when I'm home via WIFI when needed.

Actually that device sounds very much like a separate phone that stays plugged into the vehicle, and can have a service plan if desired. Biggest difference is the screen is actually the infotainment centers screen.

Thanks again for the info. I think I'll try the Motorola dongle and see if that fits my needs.

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

All correct.

Cheers.
I think you are right about the AI comment. AI just sounds cool. I would be interested to know what cell service it would work with. Verizon has a company out here called visible. It is $25 a month flat for unlimited everything, even hotspot. First month is $5 if you use this link (referral link, I get a cheap month too) https://www.visible.com/get/?3DWRN9D
would be neat to have all the maps and apps and what not and a hotspot in the truck for only $5 more than the Att plan that ford offers.

OP
OP
Jeff D.

Jeff D.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you are right about the AI comment. AI just sounds cool. I would be interested to know what cell service it would work with. Verizon has a company out here called visible. It is $25 a month flat for unlimited everything, even hotspot. First month is $5 if you use this link (referral link, I get a cheap month too) https://www.visible.com/get/?3DWRN9D
would be neat to have all the maps and apps and what not and a hotspot in the truck for only $5 more than the Att plan that ford offers.
Your car would end up with it's own unique phone number, wouldn't it? I guess you could still auto forward calls to your cell.

Sponsored

RichardCranium

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is true, it would have its own phone number. Not hard to send it to your friends and family to add to their contacts though. My first car phone was mounted to the car and had its own phone number. My Cruze has onstar and I can get a unique phone number with it too. Also, android lets you choose your default phone app, so you could get a free google voice number and use it on all your phones. Lots of options, I guess. 🙂

PRH

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use the Motorola one ... flawless, mounted with velcro right by the usb c jack on dash... flawless and connects by the time I fuss with all the settings (OK, eco mode etc) and put it in reverse. 100% recommend