Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Because most Americans are stupid. They ignore the GCWR and think they can haul a 4,000# trailer, 1,500# in the bed and 5 passengers in the cab! LOL.

The max your truck and trailer can weigh if it is a hybrid including truck, passengers, cargo, fuel and trailer is 6,010 pounds.

The Max an AWD EB with 4K tow package can weigh is 8,145#.
That is for truck, passengers, cargo, fuel, and trailer. Deduct 245# if a FWD with 4K tow.

Ford Maverick Wimpy US Tow Ratings Screenshot (415)
Sponsored

Last edited:

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'm amazed how many lawyers are Maverick owners.

Too bad more physicists and rocket scientists are not Maverick owners.

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm amazed how many lawyers are Maverick owners.

Too bad more physicists and rocket scientists are not Maverick owners.
At the risk of outing myself, I do work in Aeronautics and Astronautics. Where a gram can make the difference. ;)

processwrench

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav Hybrid Lariat Lux hot pepper red
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There used to be a good article called something like 'why you need a big truck to tow anything in america' on jalopnik years ago, I couldnt find a link but it comes down to tounge weight and speed. Euro the range is 4 to 7%, us range is 10 to 15%. Somewhere around 15% is the most stable and therefore speed isn't an issue. Lighter than that the faster you go the more unstable. So in Europe if you're towing you're speed is restricted, plus the requirements for trailer brakes is lower, and you need an additional trailering license. So for the US the additional tounge weight means the rear axle has to be stronger as well as framework etc to tow the same weight trailer. For example 2000 lb trailer would be 200 to 300 lb tounge weight, euro would be 80 to 140 lb. If I recall there are other factors involved but those were the main points. In both cases it's set by the government's and not necessarily via lawsuits.

OP
OP
22RolloverClub

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 VW Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There used to be a good article called something like 'why you need a big truck to tow anything in america' on jalopnik years ago, I couldnt find a link but it comes down to tounge weight and speed. Euro the range is 4 to 7%, us range is 10 to 15%. Somewhere around 15% is the most stable and therefore speed isn't an issue. Lighter than that the faster you go the more unstable. So in Europe if you're towing you're speed is restricted, plus the requirements for trailer brakes is lower, and you need an additional trailering license. So for the US the additional tounge weight means the rear axle has to be stronger as well as framework etc to tow the same weight trailer. For example 2000 lb trailer would be 200 to 300 lb tounge weight, euro would be 80 to 140 lb. If I recall there are other factors involved but those were the main points. In both cases it's set by the government's and not necessarily via lawsuits.
Thanks man! Might have to see if I can dig up that article. I figured there had to be some reason.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My trailer is at 14% on the tongue.
Just a simple ball. Nothing fancy.

The trailer is 9 feet tall.
Never had any "sway" problems in 15 years and probably 20,000 miles with it on the road, 2000 miles behind the Maverick.

YMMV

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've always been a bit surprised by the vast differences in tow ratings giving to cars in different markets. Granted the Maverick isn't over the pond (yet), but comparing different models from Ford and other manufacturers to their American counterparts is always interesting. Even comparing different models all together is amusing. Funny that a UK based VW Polo with a 1L engine is rated to tow more (2,200lbs) than a non-4K equipped Maverick if you throw a brake controller on it.

Wonder what the reasoning is, slower speeds? Laws? Manufacturers trying to upsell to North Americans?

If the Mav ever makes it to Europe the tow rating given to it will be one of the first stats I look at.

Link to the UK towing page I referenced
I strongly suspect that the reason is the lax US liability laws, where anyone can sue anyone for any reason. By publishing very specific limits that are known to be safe under 99.9% conditions, the manufacturers have a "reasonable man" defense available when someone tries to sue them. It's pretty much the same reason your new lawnmower comes with a warning that tells you not to try to cut your hair with it...
Sponsored