medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I really want to order a Maverick truck but Ford makes it hard with what packages are available on trim models. Anyone else questioning why FX4 package not available on XL trim? I just want a no frills truck that can go off trail for camping, fishing and to home depot. Tow my trailer to campgrounds in state parks and national forest on fire roads and a yearly trip overlanding trip to Outerbanks beach. A XL trim with AWD/4k towing/FX fits it perfectly and you would have a very capable pick up for around $26,000. Not all people want FX4, TRD etc with the interior luxuries. T

If it gets scratched, dings from overlanding who cares. The interior will get muddy and sandy but no big deal just use a hand brush to loosen it and vacuum. It is upgradeable for aftermarket if needed. Come on Ford.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BeardedK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because money. I keep seeing these posts about why didn't Ford do this, or add that. The answer's money, plain and simple. These are built to a price point, and they don't know how it'll sell. In the future you'll probably see a hybrid AWD and maybe they'll add the FX4 to the XL, but that's not a given. I'm sure Ford also wants people to take the higher trim levels with more profit built in.

OP
OP

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree to a point but they already have the product in house and will get more money for an easy addition since all trucks are made on the same line. There isn't an upfit cost to them. It is a simple process for them to offer something that is already in house and they are only adding it to all trim levels. They are getting more money by offering the package with no additional cost to them because a customer is willing to upgrade to AWD to get FX4. Yes an AWD hybrid will have a large outlay in development and testing etc. and is a large gamble on a product that may not make it.

For some buyers it will be the difference between Ford getting money or getting none by offering a package that is already proven and offered.

I just have more reasoning to use with my wife to get upgraded to the Tacoma or new Frontier now.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
I agree to a point but they already have the product in house and will get more money for an easy addition since all trucks are made on the same line. There isn't an upfit cost to them. It is a simple process for them to offer something that is already in house and they are only adding it to all trim levels. They are getting more money by offering the package with no additional cost to them because a customer is willing to upgrade to AWD to get FX4. Yes an AWD hybrid will have a large outlay in development and testing etc. and is a large gamble on a product that may not make it.

For some buyers it will be the difference between Ford getting money or getting none by offering a package that is already proven and offered.

I just have more reasoning to use with my wife to get upgraded to the Tacoma or new Frontier now.
I think your missing the point, they don't want you to buy an xl. They want volume fleet buyers to get an xl, but they will push every consumer they can into the higher trims because they make more money. That's it. They know they can't please everyone, so they are doing what they think is most profitable for them. It sucks if you want a base model, but every car maker I've seen does this kind of thing.

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yea this is literally my only complaint on the Maverick. Im buying an XL and was hoping to be able to option FX4 on it just like how id build a Ranger but they dont even have the option. Oh well, Id never consider going to the XLT so it is what it is i guess. Ill save the money on it. Just idiotic they offer a base Ranger with the FX4 package but not the Maverick.

Sponsored

OP
OP

medgar

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yea this is literally my only complaint on the Maverick. Im buying an XL and was hoping to be able to option FX4 on it just like how id build a Ranger but they dont even have the option. Oh well, Id never consider going to the XLT so it is what it is i guess. Ill save the money on it. Just idiotic they offer a base Ranger with the FX4 package but not the Maverick.
Exactly. They do it for the other trucks in their line and it doesnt cost them anymore money. I get it that they make a ton of profit on 4x4 and Fx for the people who go to the grocery store, soccer field and have to park it in a field and like the image of the decal. They will buy the platinum lariat king ranch trim levels

For the extra $6,000 to move to a midsize truck there are a lot better options than the Ranger for overlanding. Ford is missing a need in the market for people who dont want a midsize but want a no frills no luxury pickup that will be used soft overlanding

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Because the higher trims are likely subsidizing the XL. So yeah, it's about money. It's the same reason there's no cruise control on the XL.

Spartan_J

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Chevy Spark
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because the higher trims are likely subsidizing the XL. So yeah, it's about money. It's the same reason there's no cruise control on the XL.
Early June: "How can Ford offer a hybrid pickup starting at less than $20k....It doesn't seem possible???"
Early July: "How can Ford not offer a vehicle that I can option to every one of my personal whims...???"

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Exactly. They do it for the other trucks in their line and it doesnt cost them anymore money. I get it that they make a ton of profit on 4x4 and Fx for the people who go to the grocery store, soccer field and have to park it in a field and like the image of the decal. They will buy the platinum lariat king ranch trim levels

For the extra $6,000 to move to a midsize truck there are a lot better options than the Ranger for overlanding. Ford is missing a need in the market for people who dont want a midsize but want a no frills no luxury pickup that will be used soft overlanding
Yep, all 5 of you :ROFLMAO: IMO, Ford is FILLING far more needs than they are missing with the 3 option levels just as they are... The XL is targeted as an entry level vehicle and for people who don't need a serious truck, but the price and amenities make the Maverick attractive to sedan and CUV buyers as well as truck buyers.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
How many rangers in xl trim with the fx4 package do you think ford haS sold? I can guarantee they would never have built that for dealers, and you could probably count the number of custom orders for that build on a few hands!

The ranger did finally pick up sales in 2020, but when they first came back to market here there was no buzz, no advertising and very slow sales.

How do I know this? I bought my ranger in December 2019 discounted 23% from the sticker price! It was on the lot 4 or 5 months... In Minnesota, pretty solid truck country. To further my point, someone came up to me in a parking lot just last week and asked, is that the new ranger?

The maverick probably has as many confirmed reservations at this point as the ranger had sales in 2019.

Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
Because money. I keep seeing these posts about why didn't Ford do this, or add that. The answer's money, plain and simple. These are built to a price point, and they don't know how it'll sell. In the future you'll probably see a hybrid AWD and maybe they'll add the FX4 to the XL, but that's not a given. I'm sure Ford also wants people to take the higher trim levels with more profit built in.
Honestly, my "why didn't they do this" would make them more money. I want an XL with vinyl floors, crank windows, manual door locks, and bench seats. I would pay extra for the vinyl floors and bench seats, even though they're cheaper to produce.. And Im certain I'm not the only one. Especially for the FX4 package, people would pay extra for the vinyl floor.

I'd also pay extra for a standalone AM/FM radio. Ever since they made backup cameras mandatory, the radio has gotten more and more complex. Everything has to be an "infotainment system". I just want a single radio. Find somewhere else, like the rearview mirror or just below the radio, to put the camera screen. But i'm probably alone on THAT request.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
How many rangers in xl trim with the fx4 package do you think ford haS sold? I can guarantee they would never have built that for dealers, and you could probably count the number of custom orders for that build on a few hands!

The ranger did finally pick up sales in 2020, but when they first came back to market here there was no buzz, no advertising and very slow sales.

How do I know this? I bought my ranger in December 2019 discounted 23% from the sticker price! It was on the lot 4 or 5 months... In Minnesota, pretty solid truck country. To further my point, someone came up to me in a parking lot just last week and asked, is that the new ranger?

The maverick probably has as many confirmed reservations at this point as the ranger had sales in 2019.
I see a lot of STX package FX4s down here so somebody is buying them. I also noticed nobody wanting Rangers until this past year

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I see a lot of STX package FX4s down here so somebody is buying them. I also noticed nobody wanting Rangers until this past year
I suppose trim and package popularity could certainly be regional as well. I don't think their sales of the ranger picked up until people started to see them out and about. That didn't happen until they cleared the lots of 2019s at very deep discounts. Right now carvana is offering me 10% more than I paid for it 18 months ago!

I honestly think they brought the ranger in quickly to fill a gap that was pretty significant in their lineup. It will be interesting to see how well the maverick does!

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I really want to order a Maverick truck but Ford makes it hard with what packages are available on trim models. Anyone else questioning why FX4 package not available on XL trim? I just want a no frills truck that can go off trail for camping, fishing and to home depot. Tow my trailer to campgrounds in state parks and national forest on fire roads and a yearly trip overlanding trip to Outerbanks beach. A XL trim with AWD/4k towing/FX fits it perfectly and you would have a very capable pick up for around $26,000. Not all people want FX4, TRD etc with the interior luxuries. T

If it gets scratched, dings from overlanding who cares. The interior will get muddy and sandy but no big deal just use a hand brush to loosen it and vacuum. It is upgradeable for aftermarket if needed. Come on Ford.
They also don't offer the FX4 on XL Rangers last I checked, you can on the F150 but that's such a wide market that it makes sense. XL is a base trim that most dealers don't expect to sell to the general public and are usually marketed as fleet vehicles. Especially with the improved features at a minimal cost increase dealers are more likely to sell XLT models

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
They also don't offer the FX4 on XL Rangers last I checked, you can on the F150 but that's such a wide market that it makes sense. XL is a base trim that most dealers don't expect to sell to the general public and are usually marketed as fleet vehicles. Especially with the improved features at a minimal cost increase dealers are more likely to sell XLT models
You can FX4 a Ranger XL
Sponsored