Sponsored

Why does remote start cause hybrid issue?

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve read that some people have experienced issues after using remote start with the hybrid.
im having trouble figuring out what exactly would be an issue?

what part fails?
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’ve read that some people have experienced issues after using remote start with the hybrid.
im having trouble figuring out what exactly would be an issue?

what part fails?
Here’s what I’ve gleaned so far. I may be wrong, others can correct me I’m sure.

It’s not necessarily remote start that’s the issue. On some hybrids in rather cold conditions on cold startup, if left to idle, the engine may rev up and down and the fuel mix apparently is rich and is excessively heating up the catalytic converter in some cases, with strong odors in many cases.

1. Ford may have a fix soon from a notice of update coming up, it seems to be software related, but they haven’t explained what the issue is exactly.
2. This isn’t happening to all hybrids, and isn’t always happening consistently to those that are affected. It may be exacerbated by having climate control on in these startup conditions.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please change your mislabeled title of this thread as it says

"Why does auto start cause hybrid issue?"

When you mean to say "remote start" as you do in the text body.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Because this happens in freezing temperatures I would guess this is part of an accelerated warm-up mode that is overly aggressive. Some cars have had this, fast warm up, as far back as the 1980s. To meet smog requirements and engine has to heat up within a certain number of minutes to reduce the tailpipe emissions. This is often done with revving the engine up to a higher than normal idle state to accelerate warming.
As soon as you take it out of park it leaves this mode. Also if the outside temperature is not very low then the engine reaches operating temperature quickly and can leave the accelerated warm-up mode.

So it sounds like Ford is going to reprogram the computer to fix this from happening. But for most people it would never happen because they don't fit all the required conditions. I never leave my car sitting idling warming up for an extended period of time before I drive it so I would never see this issue myself. Also people who live in warmer states would never see this because it doesn't get cold enough to trigger this situation.

But it can happen and does to some people so I hope Ford gets the software update out fast.

But as we move into spring and summer it will not be cold enough to trigger this so maybe they think they can wait.

Jlaw

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid Area 51
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does anyone know if this is all climate control, or just heating? Just curious if it is heating related, or battery charging while idling related.

Sponsored

Hoagus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 Ranger, ‘22 Mav XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2. This isn’t happening to all hybrids, and isn’t always happening consistently to those that are affected. It may be exacerbated by having climate control on in these startup conditions.
Bonus points for use of the word exacerbate.

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please change your mislabeled title of this thread as it says

"Why does auto start cause hybrid issue?"

When you mean to say "remote start" as you do in the text body.
Good call…I’ll try and change that now

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here’s what I’ve gleaned so far. I may be wrong, others can correct me I’m sure.

It’s not necessarily remote start that’s the issue. On some hybrids in rather cold conditions on cold startup, if left to idle, the engine may rev up and down and the fuel mix apparently is rich and is excessively heating up the catalytic converter in some cases, with strong odors in many cases.

1. Ford may have a fix soon from a notice of update coming up, it seems to be software related, but they haven’t explained what the issue is exactly.
This is such an excellent reply. Thank you very much for the info!!!

OP
OP
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Because this happens in freezing temperatures I would guess this is part of an accelerated warm-up mode that is overly aggressive. Some cars have had this, fast warm up, as far back as the 1980s. To meet smog requirements and engine has to heat up within a certain number of minutes to reduce the tailpipe emissions. This is often done with revving the engine up to a higher than normal idle state to accelerate warming.
As soon as you take it out of park it leaves this mode. Also if the outside temperature is not very low then the engine reaches operating temperature quickly and can leave the accelerated warm-up mode.

So it sounds like Ford is going to reprogram the computer to fix this from happening. But for most people it would never happen because they don't fit all the required conditions. I never leave my car sitting idling warming up for an extended period of time before I drive it so I would never see this issue myself. Also people who live in warmer states would never see this because it doesn't get cold enough to trigger this situation.

But it can happen and does to some people so I hope Ford gets the software update out fast.

But as we move into spring and summer it will not be cold enough to trigger this so maybe they think they can wait.
Awesome reply, thank you very much.

cyberdog

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At least one member connected a scan tool and noticed the ambient temperature sensor was reading incorrectly, as something like -20, when the temp was around 10-20 degrees. Appears the firmware might be reading or interpreting the voltage levels from from the temp sensor incorrectly, below a specified temperature (voltage level).

Ford is apparently working on an updated PCM programming to correct the issue, which is scheduled to be available in the April/May timeframe. Of course, most owners experiencing the problem won't be able to confirm it fixes it until next winter.
Sponsored