Sponsored

Hybrid scheduled remote start at interval to charge 12v?

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Since we can set a scheduled remote start with Ford Connect app, I wonder if it might be a good practice to have the hybrid start every so many days (or even just once a week at least?) just in case you aren't using the vehicle for a stretch, it will kick on the system and HV battery (and ICE if HV battery has low charge) and make sure the small 12v battery gets some charge and hopefully prevent a potential annoying dead 12v situation?

Remote start leaves the vehicle on for 15 minutes. When the vehicle is off, do we know the power draw of the 12v by the system over time, maybe the same as Ford Escape hybrid? If so, then can we estimate how often a remote start 15-minute charge time would be needed to keep the 12v topped off if you never drove the vehicle?

I guess the only danger is if you have a powerful A/C setting that turns on with the car, heated seats, etc, and that might be wasteful to get the car conditioned needlessly? Or would that be such a relatively small amount of power that it is negligible?

Or is this entire concept moot, and 12v drain is not a common issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
I highly doubt that is an issue. I think the whole system monitors not just the hybrid battery, but the 12V battery as well. I would even guess that the system has the ability to use the hybrid battery to trickle charge the 12V battery if needed and will definitely warn if there is some kind of issue with the 12V before it becomes a problem since the 12V is an integral part of the operation of the vehicle.

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On my Hybrid Escape, if I didn't drive it for a while, it would go into 'deep sleep' mode. When it does that, some things are not available, but when it sat for a month with no driving, it had zero issues starting up. And it was a Hybrid AWD Titanium Premium with every bell and whistle available.

I would assume the Hybrid Maverick will be similar so 12v drain shouldn't be a problem unless it's going to sit for a really long time.

casanewt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 KIA Sportage X-Line Prestige PHEV
Engine
Undecided
Right from the new Maverick Owner's Manual:

"Hybrid Battery Systems
We recommend the following actions for
your vehicle:
• When storing your vehicle for greater
than 30 days the state of charge
should be approximately 50%.
Additionally we recommend
disconnecting the 12V battery which
will reduce system loads on the HV
battery."

It almost makes it sound as if the hybrid battery is running the systems in the background via the 12V system and could discharge the hybrid battery if the 12V is not disconnected.

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
Batteries like to be used; hybrids are no exception.

For numerous safety reasons, the HV pack is electrically isolated from the rest of the vehicle when it's OFF. This includes the 12v battery so it can't be charged by the HV pack when off. Hyundai is an exception by making its (LiOn) 12v battery physically part of the LiOn pack.

Most hybrids use a DC-DC converter to lower the high voltage from the EV side down to 12v but it's usually at a (basically) trickle rate so it could take much longer than 15 minutes to properly charge a low 12v.

I use small, solar-powered trickle chargers for any vehicles that sit for extended periods outside. My garaged motorcycles always get pre-wired for trickle charging at the wall. This is the best way to continually maintain a 12v for long periods (other than regular use of course).

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
Batteries like to be used; hybrids are no exception.
But Li-ion technology stores really well at mid-level charge and residential temperatures. I have 3 generations of cell phones, and the old ones still work fine after years.

The storage issues are high charge level and high temperature, so park it in the shade at least.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Why would we want to have the ICE start while the truck is in an attached garage, and endanger the people inside?

HRG

OP
OP
clavicus

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why would we want to have the ICE start while the truck is in an attached garage, and endanger the people inside?

HRG
Hmm good point, although I wonder if 15m is enough to be dangerous in a small garage? I honestly have no idea.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Since we can set a scheduled remote start with Ford Connect app, I wonder if it might be a good practice to have the hybrid start every so many days (or even just once a week at least?) just in case you aren't using the vehicle for a stretch, it will kick on the system and HV battery (and ICE if HV battery has low charge) and make sure the small 12v battery gets some charge and hopefully prevent a potential annoying dead 12v situation?

Remote start leaves the vehicle on for 15 minutes. When the vehicle is off, do we know the power draw of the 12v by the system over time, maybe the same as Ford Escape hybrid? If so, then can we estimate how often a remote start 15-minute charge time would be needed to keep the 12v topped off if you never drove the vehicle?

I guess the only danger is if you have a powerful A/C setting that turns on with the car, heated seats, etc, and that might be wasteful to get the car conditioned needlessly? Or would that be such a relatively small amount of power that it is negligible?

Or is this entire concept moot, and 12v drain is not a common issue?
If it is not a daily driver, just use a float or trickle charger

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

On my Hybrid Escape, if I didn't drive it for a while, it would go into 'deep sleep' mode. When it does that, some things are not available, but when it sat for a month with no driving, it had zero issues starting up. And it was a Hybrid AWD Titanium Premium with every bell and whistle available.

I would assume the Hybrid Maverick will be similar so 12v drain shouldn't be a problem unless it's going to sit for a really long time.
What is a while? 24 hours, 36, 48 72 hours or you talking days?

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is a while? 24 hours, 36, 48 72 hours or you talking days?
Days, certainly if you get deployed take matters as stop rhe, but if dont drive for i’d say week start it up. Somewhere in the owners manual it actually mentions this exact scenerio so go by what they said, im just to lasy to look it up

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Days, certainly if you get deployed take matters as stop rhe, but if dont drive for i’d say week start it up. Somewhere in the owners manual it actually mentions this exact scenerio so go by what they said, im just to lasy to look it up
I'm sure there are plenty of scenarios out there, can you remote start the car with app?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure there are plenty of scenarios out there, can you remote start the car with app?
in at least some configurations