Sponsored

Who would prefer a 2dr, extended cab, with 5ft bed ?

PapaNer

First Name
Ner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Veloster 2.0 Premium
I have no interest in any other truck (which I think is why I'm Ford's direct audience with the Maverick). I drive on my own the majority of the time, and then 95% of the time there's a passenger it's my wife. I like the option of being able to take another person somewhere if I want to, but also I like the hidden storage under that seat.

Never wanted a truck before in my life, but it'll be nice to be able to haul some of my hobby/home stuff and get stellar mileage at the same time. Hopefully they bring on more hybrid trucks!
Sponsored

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
You could be right....
However, the vast majority of the 4dr trucks I see on the road, only have 1 person in them. Not saying that once in a while they don't have someone in the backseats, but it's the exception to the rule.
Manufacturers donā€™t care how you use the car after you buy one šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m only going to have one vehicle. I donā€™t need two piles of money tied up in depreciating assets. So if I can only have one car, Iā€™m not buying something that can only seat two, just to add 6 inches of bed space. To that end I think a lot of people on this board are missing the point on what the Maverick is and who it was designed for. At its core it is a sedan replacement vehicle for people who need a bed occasionally. There are 10s of other options if you need a traditional pick up.

Part of me thinks that Ford made this pivot knowing that as vehicle MSRPs are increasing wildly, consumers will look for cars that can do some of everything. That is the genius of the Maverick.

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep wrangler 4xe; 13 vw gli; 21 maverick xlt
yep, been waiting five years for a good 'car competitive' compact truck. This hits all the requirements. I have 7 grown kids that I now am a weekend warrior helper for. Most of them can only afford one fuel efficient car so I need to be able to carry sheet goods when I need to. But dont want an 8 ft bed (already have one 97 chevy- will prob sell). THis is to replace my VW gli with less fun, but more lifestyle functionality. Best vehicle there is for going to the beach

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not sure why people are assuming that this has to be an either-or scenario? I'm old enough to remember that when a manufacturer like Ford revealed a new model, it came in 2-door, 4-door, station wagon and maybe convertible body styles.

I have no problem with the INITIAL Maverick being a 4-door Crew Cab, but let's leave open the possibility of other configurations down the road. Right now, if I have to transport 4 adults, we'll use my wife's Edge.

HRG

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
No, I prefer the crew cab with the 5' flex bed. If you want/need a bigger truck, then there are tons of other options out there. If you don't need the back seat - then raise the folding rear seat and use the space as a rain protecting area or storage bin. The market for this truck is people who usually drive cars and didn't think they needed a truck bed, but always wanted one.
For me, its not so much that I need more bed. It.s just that I don't need so much cab. Almost never have more than me and my GF in my F150. Plus I think a little less cab, and little more bed would look more like an actual truck, and not an SUV with a little bed attached :)
Manufacturers donā€™t care how you use the car after you buy one šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m only going to have one vehicle. I donā€™t need two piles of money tied up in depreciating assets. So if I can only have one car, Iā€™m not buying something that can only seat two, just to add 6 inches of bed space. To that end I think a lot of people on this board are missing the point on what the Maverick is and who it was designed for. At its core it is a sedan replacement vehicle for people who need a bed occasionally. There are 10s of other options if you need a traditional pick up.

Part of me thinks that Ford made this pivot knowing that as vehicle MSRPs are increasing wildly, consumers will look for cars that can do some of everything. That is the genius of the Maverick.
I wasn't necessarily saying it should be a two seater, Just a Super cab (4 seater) instead of a Super Crew (5 seater) The back seats just dont need to be quite as big. Two sideways jumper seats would be fine. And 6 more inches of bed would look so much more like an actual truck. I would not expect, or even want, a single cab, and 6ft bed. I always loved my F150 Supercab (not Super crew) even if it didn't have rear seats. The space was nice.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
I'm not sure why people are assuming that this has to be an either-or scenario? I'm old enough to remember that when a manufacturer like Ford revealed a new model, it came in 2-door, 4-door, station wagon and maybe convertible body styles.

I have no problem with the INITIAL Maverick being a 4-door Crew Cab, but let's leave open the possibility of other configurations down the road. Right now, if I have to transport 4 adults, we'll use my wife's Edge.

HRG
That would suck if I got the Supercrew, and a year later they came out with a Supercab, and a 5 - 5 1/2ft bed !

A51Maverick88

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda CR-V EX manual
No. The current configuration is perfect as is for me. I don't need a longer bed for my occasional HomeDepot runs. This truck is going to serve as my family vehicle so backseat space is more important. There are tons of bigger trucks out there for truck duties.

Waitingtosee

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Explorer Limited, 2022 Ford Maverick FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope I prefer the crew cab hands down!

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA

HRG
There is a 0 percent chance that Ford comes out with another body style for the Maverick. Itā€™s different than just bolting a different sized bed onto the frame. Thatā€™s more engineering, and more cost for a unibody platform passed onto the customer. Theyā€™re going to focus on power trains, adding a plug in hybrid and maybe full electric.

This is supposed to be an entry level vehicle. If you buy a Maverick and get the truck bug later on, Ford has a myriad of truck options to upsell you. Itā€™s not that complicated

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
There is a 0 percent chance that Ford comes out with another body style for the Maverick. Itā€™s different than just bolting a different sized bed onto the frame. Thatā€™s more engineering, and more cost for a unibody platform passed onto the customer. Theyā€™re going to focus on power trains, adding a plug in hybrid and maybe full electric.

This is supposed to be an entry level vehicle. If you buy a Maverick and get the truck bug later on, Ford has a myriad of truck options to upsell you. Itā€™s not that complicated
I don't know if id say there is a "0 %" chance... although maybe it's unlikely. I think a lot of this has to do with how popular the vehicle becomes. If they sold a ton of them, they would be more likely to give all sorts of future options.

Sponsored

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here are a couple of the quick Pshops we did for a recent video that show what a single or super-cab could look like. They are quick and dirty but get the idea across.....
Ford Maverick Who would prefer a 2dr, extended cab, with 5ft bed ? maverickbasest
Ford Maverick Who would prefer a 2dr, extended cab, with 5ft bed ? maverickbasesct

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

technolithic,
My apologies, I did not realize that we have an "insider" amongst us, who must have a seat at the table in the Boardroom, and is privy to Ford's future vehicle plans. Otherwise, you would be prefacing your response with in my opinion.

My goodness, you sound just like a guy over at BOF, that tries to push his opinion as fact.

HRG

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Here are a couple of the quick Pshops we did for a recent video that show what a single or super-cab could look like. They are quick and dirty but get the idea across.....
maverickbasest.jpg
maverickbasesct.jpg
Freaking LOVE the extended cab version ! I'd hate myself if I got the Supercrew in 22, then they came out with that in 23 ! That actually looks like a truck !

technolithic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
technolithic,
My apologies, I did not realize that we have an "insider" amongst us, who must have a seat at the table in the Boardroom, and is privy to Ford's future vehicle plans. Otherwise, you would be prefacing your response with in my opinion.

My goodness, you sound just like a guy over at BOF, that tries to push his opinion as fact.

HRG
No need to be dramatic. Ultimately I donā€™t think itā€™s rocket science to extrapolate what Ford is trying to do with the Maverick šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

Perhaps youā€™re applying the logic of the traditional truck market (infinitely more features, more options, multiple body styles, more cost) to a pickup that is more in line with the crossover/small SUV market.