Sponsored

Where are TPMS sensors? getting ready to Plasti dip steelies...

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am getting ready to plasti dip my steelies today, where are the TPMS sensors? Youtube said they had to be covered. Is this something I need to cover with painters tape?
Sponsored

hdave

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Alto Blue Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
they are inside the rim and the valve stem sticks out.

so you cant exactly cover them, unless they mean covering the valve stem that sticks out.

bykerhd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost FW
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think plasti dip will work on those wheels.
The tire mounting machine will likely peel it right off while installing the tire on to the rim.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It works. Plastic-dip the wheels after the tires are mounted. You can use playing card around the rim to keep overspray off the tires or just put a good coating of tire shine on the tires being careful not to get any on the rim. The overspray will peel right off easier than normal. Wash the rims first with Dove detergent and them wipe them down with Denatured alcohol. If this is being done to keep the wheels from rusting from winter salt, be sure to dip the inside of the wheels and the barrel as well.

OP
OP
Bobinmi

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think plasti dip will work on
I don't think plasti dip will work on those wheels.
The tire mounting machine will likely peel it right off while installing the tire on to the rim.
The steelies are take offs and have tires installed already. Trying to get the better look behind hub caps, I am attaching 2 pictures, black steelie vs stock steelie

Ford Maverick Where are TPMS sensors?  getting ready to Plasti dip steelies... Screenshot_20231114-180737_Chrome
Ford Maverick Where are TPMS sensors?  getting ready to Plasti dip steelies... Screenshot_20231114-180747_Chrome

Sponsored

bykerhd

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 2.0L Ecoboost FW
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you will have better luck with paint.
Installing the wheels on the truck will require lug nuts to be installed during which your new shiny plasti dip will likely be damaged. It is not noted for it's durability.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted a winter set with painted black steelies but it sounded like a lot of work to me. I ended up just cleaning the steel wheels and applying wheel protectant. Then I got snow tires mounted up. Plus doing the same cleaning/polishing to the XLT wheelset. That was enough work in itself. If you're full of piss and vinegar, good on you!

OP
OP
Bobinmi

Bobinmi

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mr me.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
walking and talking
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted a winter set with painted black steelies but it sounded like a lot of work to me. I ended up just cleaning the steel wheels and applying wheel protectant. Then I got snow tires mounted up. Plus doing the same cleaning/polishing to the XLT wheelset. That was enough work in itself. If you're full of piss and vinegar, good on you!

Well, I'm certainly NOT full of piss and vinegar as I had an eye removed 2 weeks ago at the U of M. Didn't realize it was that much work.

MAKE sure you get your eyes DILATED at eye exams and not just the "new" testing machines that do NOT require Dilating eyes...you may get the surprise I got...a 19mmx19mmx8mm thick tumor! Would have been caught had eyes been dilated over the past decade.

Ford Maverick Where are TPMS sensors?  getting ready to Plasti dip steelies... 20231111_105136

Last edited:

OT18

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Escape, Ecosport
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well, I'm certainly NOT full of piss and vinegar as I had an eye removed 2 weeks ago at the U of M. Didn't realize it was that much work.

20231111_105136.jpg
Wow, best wishes for a quick recovery.

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

20231111_105136.jpg
Well sir, I wish you the best in recovery! Luckily we've got 2 of these bad boys and you still have a good eye I hope.:cool: You'll be an inspiration to many.

The further I dug into the prepping, masking and painting of these things...So then I looked into a pro shop powder coat. Would have cost me $650! If you can get it done for $400, it's an option. That said, you may be able to get away with a basic plasti-dip job since your using covers and center caps?

Sponsored

#1Rickster

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Tacoma, 2023 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Damn, I hope your feeling better and on the way to recovery.
Plasti vs Paint all depends on what you want. I PlastiDip'd my Tacoma rims 6yrs ago as a temporary thing and they are still hanging in there. Getting new tires and lug removals have left a few marks in the finish but it was my work truck. If I was more Northern Tier I would probably have painted them by now but they have worn fine in Texas.

I am getting ready to PlastiDip my steelies. No worries on TPMS just cover your stems. I used the card method but PlastiDip will rub off the rubber tire. Good luck.

shadow76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well sir, I wish you the best in recovery! Luckily we've got 2 of these bad boys and you still have a good eye I hope.:cool: You'll be an inspiration to many.

The further I dug into the prepping, masking and painting of these things...So then I looked into a pro shop powder coat. Would have cost me $650! If you can get it done for $400, it's an option. That said, you may be able to get away with a basic plasti-dip job since your using covers and center caps?
I was fortunate to find a powder coater working out of his garage. Only charged $40 a rim including sandblasting. So far no rust or chipping thru two winters of salt. .

shadow76

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

MAKE sure you get your eyes DILATED at eye exams and not just the "new" testing machines that do NOT require Dilating eyes...you may get the surprise I got...a 19mmx19mmx8mm thick tumor! Would have been caught had eyes been dilated over the past decade.

20231111_105136.jpg
Thanks for the advice. Had an aunt lose her vision due to an undetected issue.

Best wishes on your recovery.