First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4 xlt 4k tow 360 copilot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK so I have a 2005 Ford F150 crewcab 4x4 with the 5.4 l with a 146000 miles..only thing wrong with it is it's getting the Ford rust in the quarters and some on the frame other than that runs great and everything works as it should. Am I better off to trade it in to the dealer that I am buying my Maverick from or somewhere like we buy any cars etc, where do I get the best deal..
Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think anyone would recommend that before you go in to buy the Maverick, shop your existing truck around and get some quotes from those other buyers. Then you can negotiate your trade-in value with that knowledge. You might have to bring a calculator, but if the dealer offers less than other places, it is possibly still worth it to trade in at the dealer if the difference in value is pretty close to the amount you save in sales tax on the total invoice for the new truck, and whatever the 'convenience' is worth to you to trade it right there and not go through another process elsewhere. The difference could be thousands of dollars so it's worth it to put in a little effort to get those quotes and be sure.

Last edited:

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
The dealer will hose you but it's convenient, that's the only reason to ever do it. And don't get fooled if they offer you more than you thought you would get. They'll add it in to the over all cost of your contract and it might be hard to find where they did.

Even if you find a dealership that hangs a fish symbol above their door, they are all shysters !
Bring your own vaseline and condoms.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OK so I have a 2005 Ford F150 crewcab 4x4 with the 5.4 l with a 146000 miles..only thing wrong with it is it's getting the Ford rust in the quarters and some on the frame other than that runs great and everything works as it should. Am I better off to trade it in to the dealer that I am buying my Maverick from or somewhere like we buy any cars etc, where do I get the best deal..
Edmunds, Kelly Blue book and other websites will give you average private sale and trade in values. Judge by them how much convenience is worth. My state car sales tax is 3%. Its is impossible to get a car dealer to give anywhere near that in order to "save" money by trading it in. I sold my used truck and it was over average NASDA retail value and that made it harder for someone to finance. That is another consideration.

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It may not be this way in all States but here in Michigan you only pay the 6% sales tax on the value of the purchased vehicle less the trade in value of your trade. For example, if the Mav is $25,000 and your trade is $4500 you would save 6% on the 4500 or $270. So you would need to make sure that you can recoup that $270 as a private sale to break even at trading it in.

Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If there is a CarMax near you, get an offer there first. The quote is good for seven days, and my last three cars have been done this way a none of the dealers would even match the offer when I showed it to the .

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Its too old to pull good trade money from a dealer as most new car dealers wont touch a car with those miles and that age. They will simply wholesale it.

Put it for sale on Craigslist or FB marketplace with good pics and make sure its clean. Ask more than you hope to get. You can always come down but you can't go up. Clean vehicles are pulling stupid money now.

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If there is a CarMax near you, get an offer there first. The quote is good for seven days, and my last three cars have been done this way a none of the dealers would even match the offer when I showed it to the .
Agreed. I would shop the car around at CarMax, Carvana, Vroom, and all of the other places. Then when you speak to the dealer see if they can match the highest offer. Due to how taxes are calculated, it might be more beneficial to go with the dealer depending on how much they're willing to offer. This also takes much less effort than trying to conduct a private sale, though you're more likely to get more money from one.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Agreed. I would shop the car around at CarMax, Carvana, Vroom, and all of the other places. Then when you speak to the dealer see if they can match the highest offer. Due to how taxes are calculated, it might be more beneficial to go with the dealer depending on how much they're willing to offer. This also takes much less effort than trying to conduct a private sale, though you're more likely to get more money from one.
This approach makes the most sense. It takes all of 10 minutes to get an online quote from CarMax, carvana, vroom, AutoNation maybe others locally. It may be just as easy to sell to one of them.

Vroom is offering me a full 10% above any of the others I mentioned right now on my 2019 ranger xlt. I think they pick up and sell primarily in the Texas market which could explain why the offer is so high for my truck.

If I were selling something older I'd strongly give private sale consideration as well.

OP
OP
teebandit2

teebandit2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4 xlt 4k tow 360 copilot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The dealer will hose you but it's convenient, that's the only reason to ever do it. And don't get fooled if they offer you more than you thought you would get. They'll add it in to the over all cost of your contract and it might be hard to find where they did.

Even if you find a dealership that hangs a fish symbol above their door, they are all shysters !
Bring your own vaseline and condoms.
yeah that's my thinking too. I was debating checking a few of these other places once I know it's close to arriving and just sell it outright then put cash down on the maverick..

Sponsored

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
KBB had my '99 Ranger at about $2300. I sold it with-in two weeks of putting it online for $5500, with 221000 miles on it. No way would the tax savings equal the extra $2800.

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When I traded my last two cars, I walked in the door with a signed, written trade offer from either another dealer or from an online car buying site. In both cases the dealership matched the trade.

As mentioned above, trading is superior in most states because the car dealer lobby (aka scumbag central) has pulled political strings to get you a tax credit only when you trade to a dealer (not a private sale). It's a pure slime move, which is what most things done by the dealer lobbies are. Dealers + politicians = maximum slime. But it can be real money. My last trade was worth $40K(Volvo), and the trade-in tax factor was $2,400.

Good salesmen size you up very accurately as you walk in the door. If they read "sucker", the slimier ones will rip you off from head to foot. They're not all slimy - actually most of the salesmen I've dealt with are good guys, and will treat you fairly. But it's random chance who walks up to you at the dealership door.

Nomadikhan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 Daytona Shelby Z, 07 Yaris, 22 Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you can afford it, hang on to it for at least a while. Lot of first year issues and recalls going on. You are getting a vehicle you, honestly, can't a lot of faith in until you drive it for a while. There simply isn't a lot of dependability data out there yet.

Say in 6-12 months you are comfortable, then trade it in... honestly you won't lose any value between now and then with the way the economy is heading and the still happeneing chip shortages.

Just my 2 cents, I hung on to my old faithful and still drive it every couple weeks or so to keep it moving.

Exiwolf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Serge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Trade in , may not get as much but still get a tax break plus don't have to deal with cheap a$$ tire kickers.
Do find out how much it's worth so they don't pull a fast one and lowball you, but definitely less hassle.

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Try Driveway.com too ..... it gives $3000 more than CarMax
Sponsored