First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0EB First Edition
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just had a thought while playing with my tailgate (I know, I'll go blind :))

The slack in the one side allows you to detach that cable without lifting the tail gate, as the side with no slack holds holds it in place. So my point is it may be engineered that way, because of the multi function tail gate.
Sponsored

Bmckenz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad to see a healthy level of smartassery around here...
PXL_20211014_230307161.MP.jpg
PXL_20211014_230229145.MP.jpg
Just wondering, when your tailgate is down, is it level with the bed floor? Mine slopes downwards, trying to see if my cables are way too long, or if that’s by design

Ford Maverick Uneven tailgate cables F7D2CBB0-EFD7-4201-AB68-A4C9DD6A2FC6

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
Houston, we have a problem.
You've heard of Watergate? We have Tailgate, the uneven and unlevel tally wager.
Hahahaha.

LongshotXL

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
My cables are also uneven and the tailgate slopes down. If I sit on the tailgate they both have tension and the gate does not touch the bumper so I guess it is ok.

Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
put 500 lbs (which i think is max of tailgate in down position) on tailgate and the slack should disappear.

dddinstructor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hiram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT FWD, 2.0L Ecoboost Engine, 8-spd Automatic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just dropped off my truck to check this tailgate issue. Apparently, there is slack showing on the support cable on the left side. While the tailgate is closed, everything looks square and fit. However, upon measuring the primary cable posts to the hinge, it seems like the left side is spaced farther than the right side. So you'd think the left side would be tighter and the right side slacked. Also, the tailgate is not level to the bed of the truck. (See attached photos)

I don't believe it was "designed" this way since it would not make sense to unequally load the two cables, especially when placing a working load on it. I am hoping this is not a manufacturing issue. I've owned (and seen) many trucks in the past and never saw a slack in the tailgate cables.

Everyone that took delivery of a Ford Maverick should check this.

Ford Maverick Uneven tailgate cables Tailgate Left Side

Ford Maverick Uneven tailgate cables Tailgate Right Side

Ford Maverick Uneven tailgate cables IMG_9466.JPG
Ford Maverick Uneven tailgate cables Tailgate Uneven

Last edited:

dddinstructor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hiram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What, by wondering whether anyone had measured a few parts to isolate the issue? Oops, did it again. You must have a pretty bad rash by now!
Check my recent post on this issue. I took a few dimensions.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just dropped off my truck to check this tailgate issue. Apparently, there is slack showing on the support cable on the left side. While the tailgate is closed, everything looks square and fit. However, upon measuring the primary cable posts to the hinge, it seems like the left side is spaced farther than the right side. So you'd think the left side would be tighter and the right side slacked. Also, the tailgate is not level to the bed of the truck. (See attached photos)

I don't believe it was "designed" this way since it would not make sense to unequally load the two cables, especially when placing a working load on it. I am hoping this is not a manufacturing issue. I've owned (and seen) many trucks in the past and never saw a slack in the tailgate cables.

Everyone that took delivery of a Ford Maverick should check this.
It will certainly be interesting to see what your dealer says about this.
@Cranium have you taken your Maverick in for this yet?

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
Guess they made it that way to force everyone to install that pneumatic tailgate dampener on the left side. Ha!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Cranium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I stopped by there briefly, showed them, and they told me to bring it up when I come in for my first service. I'm barely past 500 miles, so it might be a while.

dddinstructor

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Hiram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just got a call from my local Ford Service Department and they confirmed with Ford Technical Support that it is normal. They checked it with three other Mavericks on site. I'm satisfied with that until such time that this becomes an issue with the function of the truck.

I've been screenshotting some photos from the web and seems like it's normal. See attached photos.

Ford Maverick Uneven tailgate cables Tailgate Pic - 003

Ford Maverick Uneven tailgate cables Tailgate Pic - 004

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got a call from my local Ford Service Department and they confirmed with Ford Technical Support that it is normal. They checked it with three other Mavericks on site. I'm satisfied with that until such time that this becomes an issue with the function of the truck.

I've been screenshotting some photos from the web and seems like it's normal. See attached photos.
Thanks for the update. I was afraid they would say something like that. Rather loose manufacturing tolerances are labeled as "normal".

THHN12

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 and 2020 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Picked up the XLT AWD at Gwinnett Place Ford (Atlanta metro) last week. Both tailgate straps are too long. The rear of tailgate is one 1 1/4" too low in the flat position. The service dept ordered two straps. This is the fourth one this dealer has seen.

Braderick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mav XLT, RAV4 Hybrid, KIA EV6
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Maybe a vendor will pop up with equal length pre tensioned cables as an upgrade.

I’ve seen a few atv and motorcycle photos on here where loading up the beasts have stretched factory cables to the point of having unlevel tailgates.

I’m not sure, but suspect, the cable strength is responsible for the tailgate low tailgate weight rating. Cable quality and source materials used, too.

my grandad had the old scissor tailgate supports…that was fun.
Sponsored