Sponsored

Two Door Single Cab

illuminance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Lincoln, 05 Hemi Magnum, 84 Rampage
For me, it's not really about price. I would pay the same for the single cab and longer bed, rather than the crew cab and smaller bed. I imagine the profit margin on the single cabs would be better, since Ford would not have to put seats, seat belts, and side windows back there. Would also prefer a manual trans, but that is asking for the moon I suppose. Maybe there are just not enough people like me for this to be worth it, as others have said. I loved my 72 Ranchero and the El Caminos too, and I guess there is a reason those are not made any more either.
Sponsored

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
For me, it's not really about price. I would pay the same for the single cab and longer bed, rather than the crew cab and smaller bed. I imagine the profit margin on the single cabs would be better, since Ford would not have to put seats, seat belts, and side windows back there. Would also prefer a manual trans, but that is asking for the moon I suppose. Maybe there are just not enough people like me for this to be worth it, as others have said. I loved my 72 Ranchero and the El Caminos too, and I guess there is a reason those are not made any more either.
I think as MarcusBrody above mentioned, it would cost Ford more most likely to build a completely different unibody frame for a single cab. With how few people want them, it doesn’t make sense for them to do so at this time.

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Hello just joining I'm longtime member of Ridgeline Owners Club Forums. We have 1st Gen Ridgeline also older low mileage Acura sedan. Also 2009 Focus in family.
But been watching waiting for other Unibody pickup trucks to come along.
I'm solid in Ridgeline camp because of features and size.
But have learned a lot about pickup trucks since we got Ridgeline especially Unibody.
Please search article Mid-Sized Trucks Don't Need Frames
Its a long read but informative.
Don't know if same would apply to Maverick 2DR single cab and article why Honda went with crew cab short bed configuration.
Article says if they went with longer bed would need to create another Unibody platform. With Body On Frame Trucks they can just put on different bed. So basically its cost.

illuminance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Lincoln, 05 Hemi Magnum, 84 Rampage
MarcusBrody mentioned the single cab Rangers in Nevada. Here in Northern Cal, I see a lot of the 90's Toyota small T100 trucks and even the 80's pick-ups. I was thinking about getting one of those but.....ridiculously high priced/high mileage. Why the high prices? Because people want them and are willing to pay. If I want to cart the whole family, we go in the Magnum. Home Depot runs, I am usually by myself in my Rampage. Fiat makes a number of small cars. Would have thought they could have taken a Fiat platform and made a small Dodge truck with a single cab. I think the first automaker to market could do well with a small engine, single-cab, 60" bed. If a stripped down model today had an MSRP of $25k, I would buy it straight away. Remember those 80's Toyota trucks with the 2.0 and 2.2 motors? High gas mileage, reliable as hell, low price point with a single cab and decent bed. Sign me up. Okay, I have complained enough about this, I promise to let it go now. This forum is cheaper than therapy, thanks for listening!
Ford Maverick Two Door Single Cab 1983_Toyota_Truck_011

TrkNv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
MarcusBrody mentioned the single cab Rangers in Nevada. Here in Northern Cal, I see a lot of the 90's Toyota small T100 trucks and even the 80's pick-ups. I was thinking about getting one of those but.....ridiculously high priced/high mileage. Why the high prices? Because people want them and are willing to pay. If I want to cart the whole family, we go in the Magnum. Home Depot runs, I am usually by myself in my Rampage. Fiat makes a number of small cars. Would have thought they could have taken a Fiat platform and made a small Dodge truck with a single cab. I think the first automaker to market could do well with a small engine, single-cab, 60" bed. If a stripped down model today had an MSRP of $25k, I would buy it straight away. Remember those 80's Toyota trucks with the 2.0 and 2.2 motors? High gas mileage, reliable as hell, low price point with a single cab and decent bed. Sign me up. Okay, I have complained enough about this, I promise to let it go now. This forum is cheaper than therapy, thanks for listening!
1983_Toyota_Truck_011.jpg
Absolutely loved my 1980 Yota just like that one

Reactions: Doc

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Zero chance. If this were body on frame, its less of an undertaking, but with a unibody it'd be practically a new vehicle.

Perhaps in a mid-cycle refresh though they could do something clever like give it a passthrough cabin. This has been done on multiple vehicles before and really adds to the practicality as you get to keep your four seats (or five if back are kids maybe) yet haul super long objects without handing out too far off the tailgate. The new Silverado EV can do this for example:

Ford Maverick Two Door Single Cab 1229419_81_111432_MLkbpDUa

Now, I'm not saying they could do that on the Maverick to that extent, but I think they could make a little passthrough under the glass like an old Baja without a total redesign of the chassis. Or, failing that, give us a passthrough in the form of a complete lowering rear glass like Toyota is famous for, that way you could strap some really long things on your tonneau into the cab.

Sponsored