Two Door Single Cab

MarcusBrody

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
If you go back to Illuminance '84 Dodge the country was flooded with single cab small pickup trucks. The Japanese were making them for our big three as well as selling their own. So much so that the US. put a tariff on them. I think it was 25 percent. That killed the little single cab. The government not the buying public killed the single cab truck.

Think about your local contractor, painter, electrician etc. He needs to carry some personal tools and light supplies to the job site. That's who all the sales went to. The little guy who needed a little truck. Those guys are still around, writing on this very forum. Homeowners too, who could use a small truck for the families second vehicle. A commuter during the week and a Home Depot work truck on the weekend.

I think those potential sales are still there.
Despite what reading enthusiast forums would lead you to believe, I just don't think that the market is there. Last year, crew cabs made up 83% of truck sales and single cabs made up 3%. 3! And the article suggests that includes fleet sales. In Canda, the proportion was even lower (88% to 1.5%).

It's kind of like stick shifts. I love stick shifts. Everyone on the websites I read loves stick shifts. No one buys stick shifts on anything but sports cars and Wranglers (and even there, they are becoming less common).

I think part of the issue is that that market who wants regular cab trucks and stick shifts also wants them to be cheap. Or they buy used. And both squeeze the margins of the makers.

Sergeant Gearhead

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Ford should ABSOLUTELY do a single cab option!!!!! No question about it! Think about it: Single-cab trucks are usually a lot cheaper than their larger crew cab counterparts, and it's not just because they are usually only available on a lower trim. It because there's less parts, to produce. Less parts = lower price. So Ford, if you're listening, if you really want to give the Maverick a really low, sub-20K price, a single cab option is one of the best ways to do it. That and a manual transmission.

-SG

Reactions: Doc

MarcusBrody

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Ford should ABSOLUTELY do a single cab option!!!!! No question about it! Think about it: Single-cab trucks are usually a lot cheaper than their larger crew cab counterparts, and it's not just because they are usually only available on a lower trim. It because there's less parts, to produce. Less parts = lower price. So Ford, if you're listening, if you really want to give the Maverick a really low, sub-20K price, a single cab option is one of the best ways to do it. That and a manual transmission.

-SG
I just don't think it would end up working that way. The savings is basically in rear seats/doors/safety equipment, which isn't nothing, but it's not a huge portion of vehicle construction costs.

On the other hand, you have all the design and tooling costs, plus running a separate production line to make a totally different unibody architecture. In the Jalopnik article someone posted in the towing discussion, Honda/Toyota engineers discuss that it's actually harder to have good towing with a unibody pickup than an SUV without substantially reinforcing things, so a longer bed to body length would exacerbate that and force them into more changes than you might expect.

So all that money has to be recouped on what at best would likely be around 3% of sales, so it would be harder to price things low and make profit off of volume vs margins. But people would expect the two door to be priced notably lower.

I suspect this is why we won't see a 2 door unless the Maverick is a giant global hit ( and so they would have the volume to profit even at small margins).

illuminance

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Lincoln, 05 Hemi Magnum, 84 Rampage
For me, it's not really about price. I would pay the same for the single cab and longer bed, rather than the crew cab and smaller bed. I imagine the profit margin on the single cabs would be better, since Ford would not have to put seats, seat belts, and side windows back there. Would also prefer a manual trans, but that is asking for the moon I suppose. Maybe there are just not enough people like me for this to be worth it, as others have said. I loved my 72 Ranchero and the El Caminos too, and I guess there is a reason those are not made any more either.

rtcraft89

First Name
Trey
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E-500
For me, it's not really about price. I would pay the same for the single cab and longer bed, rather than the crew cab and smaller bed. I imagine the profit margin on the single cabs would be better, since Ford would not have to put seats, seat belts, and side windows back there. Would also prefer a manual trans, but that is asking for the moon I suppose. Maybe there are just not enough people like me for this to be worth it, as others have said. I loved my 72 Ranchero and the El Caminos too, and I guess there is a reason those are not made any more either.
I think as MarcusBrody above mentioned, it would cost Ford more most likely to build a completely different unibody frame for a single cab. With how few people want them, it doesn’t make sense for them to do so at this time.

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Hello just joining I'm longtime member of Ridgeline Owners Club Forums. We have 1st Gen Ridgeline also older low mileage Acura sedan. Also 2009 Focus in family.
But been watching waiting for other Unibody pickup trucks to come along.
I'm solid in Ridgeline camp because of features and size.
But have learned a lot about pickup trucks since we got Ridgeline especially Unibody.
Please search article Mid-Sized Trucks Don't Need Frames
Its a long read but informative.
Don't know if same would apply to Maverick 2DR single cab and article why Honda went with crew cab short bed configuration.
Article says if they went with longer bed would need to create another Unibody platform. With Body On Frame Trucks they can just put on different bed. So basically its cost.

illuminance

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Lincoln, 05 Hemi Magnum, 84 Rampage
MarcusBrody mentioned the single cab Rangers in Nevada. Here in Northern Cal, I see a lot of the 90's Toyota small T100 trucks and even the 80's pick-ups. I was thinking about getting one of those but.....ridiculously high priced/high mileage. Why the high prices? Because people want them and are willing to pay. If I want to cart the whole family, we go in the Magnum. Home Depot runs, I am usually by myself in my Rampage. Fiat makes a number of small cars. Would have thought they could have taken a Fiat platform and made a small Dodge truck with a single cab. I think the first automaker to market could do well with a small engine, single-cab, 60" bed. If a stripped down model today had an MSRP of $25k, I would buy it straight away. Remember those 80's Toyota trucks with the 2.0 and 2.2 motors? High gas mileage, reliable as hell, low price point with a single cab and decent bed. Sign me up. Okay, I have complained enough about this, I promise to let it go now. This forum is cheaper than therapy, thanks for listening!
1983_Toyota_Truck_011.jpg

TrkNv

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Xj and Rogue Sport
MarcusBrody mentioned the single cab Rangers in Nevada. Here in Northern Cal, I see a lot of the 90's Toyota small T100 trucks and even the 80's pick-ups. I was thinking about getting one of those but.....ridiculously high priced/high mileage. Why the high prices? Because people want them and are willing to pay. If I want to cart the whole family, we go in the Magnum. Home Depot runs, I am usually by myself in my Rampage. Fiat makes a number of small cars. Would have thought they could have taken a Fiat platform and made a small Dodge truck with a single cab. I think the first automaker to market could do well with a small engine, single-cab, 60" bed. If a stripped down model today had an MSRP of $25k, I would buy it straight away. Remember those 80's Toyota trucks with the 2.0 and 2.2 motors? High gas mileage, reliable as hell, low price point with a single cab and decent bed. Sign me up. Okay, I have complained enough about this, I promise to let it go now. This forum is cheaper than therapy, thanks for listening!
1983_Toyota_Truck_011.jpg
Absolutely loved my 1980 Yota just like that one