Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There is more to it than "manufacturer tow ratings, warranty concerns" or being a law abiding citizen. How about liability and/or criminal charges if something goes really bad and someone is badly injured or killed in an accident? You exceed any manufacturers ratings, you just inherited a boatload of liability whether or not it was your fault. Those 1-800-scumbags are everywhere as are DA's looking to hang someone. Are you really willing to lose everything with such an attitude?
I feel like I always hear the exact same thing. I actively skeptical of things that I hear all the time. I guess I am part human, part Maverick. Some sort of Maverick-Man.

Im not gonna tell anyone how they should live their life. But I dont plan on having accidents. Sure I have had a few but I learned from every one of them. If I am driving something that is dangerous I am paying attention and as risk increases so does my attentiveness. Im not going to live in fear of lawsuits or what will happen if there is a incident. I would hope that everyone here does everything in their life and modulates themselves with a full knowledge of the gravity of their actions. If you dont, then you are on your own version of autopilot. Probably not a great way to live. Sure uncontrollable events happen. But that doesnt mean one should limit themselves purely based on the speculation and research of others. Everyone should take part in their own decision making processes.

Also they dont hang people anymore. Except on forums, if you break manufacturers specifications, or go offroad in a vehicle that should have only been a hybrid.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Haven't seen any Tremors report issues with them but the Tremor sample size is much smaller. They don't look much beefier than stock and Ford is relatively coy about what upgraded actually means.
It will be interesting to find out someday, but its probably just a input spline count difference and minor thickness change, possibly different metal or the CV part has different material. One day someone will get them side by side on a table.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Haven't seen any Tremors report issues with them but the Tremor sample size is much smaller. They don't look much beefier than stock and Ford is relatively coy about what upgraded actually means.
Guess it comes down to what was/is failing with these CV shafts. To my knowledge it isn't the shaft or the splines but the bearings themselves. I doubt Ford engineered a new bearing set for the Tremor but used an existing, off the shelf part and added it to a shaft small enough to fit into the light duty 8F35.
But to your point upgraded can mean a variety of things beyond physical size. Changing the splines for example creates a new 8F35 variant exclusive to the Tremor beyond the (2) 3.63 and 3.81.

Joe Strummer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The manufacturer says otherwise, MAX towing capabilities. Max is there for a reason especially if it pertains to staying within the guidelines of the manufacturers warranty.

I think the only number that matters is the GCVWR (found on the inside of the driver's door). Exceeding this number may invalidated your warranty. Ford's towing guidelines assume a certain payload (driver + passenger + fuel) in addition to the dry weight of the trailer/camper. Not unreasonable, but can be played around with at the margin.

Hunters Edge

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 crew
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think the only number that matters is the GCVWR (found on the inside of the driver's door). Exceeding this number may invalidated your warranty. Ford's towing guidelines assume a certain payload (driver + passenger + fuel) in addition to the dry weight of the trailer/camper. Not unreasonable, but can be played around with at the margin.
You are correct the vehicle may have to tow less than the 4000lb. because of extra individuals and cargo, BUT never to exceed the MAXIMUM towing or payload capacities.

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Guess it comes down to what was/is failing with these CV shafts. To my knowledge it isn't the shaft or the splines but the bearings themselves. I doubt Ford engineered a new bearing set for the Tremor but used an existing, off the shelf part and added it to a shaft small enough to fit into the light duty 8F35.
But to your point upgraded can mean a variety of things beyond physical size. Changing the splines for example creates a new 8F35 variant exclusive to the Tremor beyond the (2) 3.63 and 3.81.
They could just be shafts out of a lincoln or something that may be a lil heavier.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Exactly. It would be great if Ford would be forthcoming with it but we can only guess until someone smarter than myself (at least) sleuths it out.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It will be interesting to find out someday, but its probably just a input spline count difference and minor thickness change, possibly different metal or the CV part has different material. One day someone will get them side by side on a table.
BTW i took the plunge and got a Costco membership for the fuel. It's about 5 miles from my house on backroads and is roughly $0.35/gal cheaper for 93.

With the new (sad face) Civic - I should pay for the membership in 6,500 miles. Tremor would have paid for it in about 4k miles!

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

BTW i took the plunge and got a Costco membership for the fuel. It's about 5 miles from my house on backroads and is roughly $0.35/gal cheaper for 93.

With the new (sad face) Civic - I should pay for the membership in 6,500 miles. Tremor would have paid for it in about 4k miles!
If you buy much of anything at Costco they give you a annual rewards check. We usually pay the membership out of that. We get maybe half our groceries there. So yeah the gas savings is worth it. Also our is more like 75 cents to over a dollar cheaper than everyone else. You ever visit Hawaii and rent a car, fill up at costco.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Out of curiosity why can’t you order the tow package with the Tremor? I know there are suspension differences as well as the transmission and 4wheel drive system is different. To me being able to order the package only makes sense.
The angled lower fascia of the Tremor means it doesn't fit the larger radiator utilized by the 4k tow package to meet Ford's cooling margins.
Sponsored