Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Agreed. I've been wracking my brain for any reports of Mavericks overheating but aside of the one guy on his maiden drive home from a remote dealer, none. I believe his case was a factory defect that was easily corrected.
Now on the BS forum there have been water pump failures.
Wasnt their a radiator hose clamp issue early on, may that was the Bronco?
Sponsored

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Wasnt their a radiator hose clamp issue early on, may that was the Bronco?
lol, right but I don't remember which one either. Maybe the Sport. The big Bronco had a pulley/belt wearing through a rad hose.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I remembered reading about the Bronco Sport's having an overheating issue during testing, so I went back to find the article. Isn't the Badlands using the same differential?
Multiple Ford Bronco Sports Overheated Off-Road
I just skimmed the article but it seemed to allude to the PTU overheating, not the RDU. The PTU would make more sense since it's located directly next to the turbocharger so if you're having fun and getting in the throttle the turbo is going to put out an immense amount of heat which will soak into the PTU to the point that no amount of liquid OR air cooling will help the situation. Ford PTUs have been a sore spot and prone to failure especially if not maintained in intervals much shorter than Ford recommends. At least now they started fitting a drain plug on them unlike Ford PTUs of the past.

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just skimmed the article but it seemed to allude to the PTU overheating, not the RDU. The PTU would make more sense since it's located directly next to the turbocharger so if you're having fun and getting in the throttle the turbo is going to put out an immense amount of heat which will soak into the PTU to the point that no amount of liquid OR air cooling will help the situation. Ford PTUs have been a sore spot and prone to failure especially if not maintained in intervals much shorter than Ford recommends. At least now they started fitting a drain plug on them unlike Ford PTUs of the past.
And right you are, of the multiple "overheats" 1 was the Badlands liquid cooled unit like the Tremor has. the others were air cooled like the Subaru/FX4 has. Pop over to the Sube forum for a raft of overheat issues.
The misunderstanding is the software halted play before anything got too hot as to protect the hardware. Limp mode to protect.

The the lady that had the issue initially slammed the Badlands later said-
from the link
“I don’t think that mine actually said four-wheel drive,” she told me. “Something got too hot and it went into limp mode.” That all went down at Olancha Dunes roughly 200 miles north of Los Angeles. “It’s not a super dune-y steep area. It’s pretty small,” Hall told me, though she did admit that she was “driving [the Bronco Sport] like a freaking idiot.”

and after a five minute cool down it was ready to resume play.

I watched the video related to her experience, hard play in the sand. When I had my Raptor at Silver Lakes it got really hot, my Cobra after 15+ minutes of hot lapping smells like a garbage dump fire and it's been aftermarket upgraded for that use.

Sponsored

IdahoDirtFarmer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 XLT, Eco, AWD, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The F150 lightning can pull a train remember. Didnt a Ford also pull the space shuttle once?
I remember seeing an old Ford commercial from the 60's where they dropped a pickup out of a cargo plane flying above the runway to show how great their new suspension was. Not sure if recommend that with a Maverick either.

Jeffr4JC

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat Fx4 w/4k tow in Carbonized Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking at the difference between the Tremor vs FX4 tow package .
1.Tremor had 3.81 ratio
FX4 has 3.81 ration
2. Tremor has heavy duty trans cooler
FX4 tow has heavy duty trans cooler
3. Tremor has a different Radiator & fan then the EV or the FX4 tow , this is the only difference I see.
So with a brake controller installed you should be able to tow 4000 k.
My understanding is the Larger radiator and fan of the FX4 is needed for the 4k tow. The Tremor would overheat under the weight. They put in a different smaller radiator to give a better approach angle in the Tremor.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I remember seeing an old Ford commercial from the 60's where they dropped a pickup out of a cargo plane flying above the runway to show how great their new suspension was. Not sure if recommend that with a Maverick either.
I think in the 1980 redesign they had a f150 offroad hill climbing with an old f150 sitting crossways on the bed!

Saxapl

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean, if you don't care about legality or liability, I have ZERO doubt a Tremor will physically pull a 4,000-pound load. But is that really the point?

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD.
I love this scare crow always coming out when talking about towing. One is much more likely to create your liability, both criminal and civil, with all one’s other decisions. Remember there will be no civil liability unless you cause an accident…in which case this is probably not the negligence which will be used to establish one’s liability. This is only relevant if it is the cause…which will not be the case assuming everything else is done right because nothing about the truck’s safety with towing is different (assuming one adds electric brake where applicable).

There is no additional liability for merely exceeding the manufacturer’s recommended towing. And anyone worried about that must never exceed the speed limit. Ha.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love this scare crow always coming out when talking about towing. One is much more likely to create your liability, both criminal and civil, with all one’s other decisions. Remember there will be no civil liability unless you cause an accident…in which case this is probably not the negligence which will be used to establish one’s liability. This is only relevant if it is the cause…which will not be the case assuming everything else is done right because nothing about the truck’s safety with towing is different (assuming one adds electric brake where applicable).

There is no additional liability for merely exceeding the manufacturer’s recommended towing. And anyone worried about that must never exceed the speed limit. Ha.
Your argument is flawed. If you exceed the speed limit and cause an accident you can be held liable in civil court for injury or wrongful death. Of course that's dependent on them proving that you were speeding in the first place but you know, every vehicle has a lovely black box nowadays that records everything you do and thanks to the telematics module it probably gets uploaded to some Ford server in real time. What IS much easier to prove than speeding, and the reason your argument is flawed, is that someone was towing something heavier than their vehicle was rated for. Can the Tremor handle 4k in anything but extreme heat? Probably but is it worth the liability if something did happen? That's up to you. There seem to be a lot of street lawyers here who have never actually been involved in a law suit. I'm not implying that the Tremor would handle a 4k load any different from a regular Maverick with 4k tow but between the two of those hauling a 4k load, both getting into an accident and being sued in court, one is going to have a much harder time proving that they weren't negligent.

I'd like to refer you to the case of Martinez v. Wade (Ellis County, Texas 2008). Google it or any number of similar cases. Do you have 1.3 million bucks lying around? Also, even if you don't cause the accident you can still be sued in civil court......

Sponsored

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well you either went to law school or stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Here's some food for thought, if that's not too much trouble for you.

Towing Limits and the Law

Saxapl

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Your argument is flawed. If you exceed the speed limit and cause an accident you can be held liable in civil court for injury or wrongful death. Of course that's dependent on them proving that you were speeding in the first place but you know, every vehicle has a lovely black box nowadays that records everything you do and thanks to the telematics module it probably gets uploaded to some Ford server in real time. What IS much easier to prove than speeding, and the reason your argument is flawed, is that someone was towing something heavier than their vehicle was rated for. Can the Tremor handle 4k in anything but extreme heat? Probably but is it worth the liability if something did happen? That's up to you. There seem to be a lot of street lawyers here who have never actually been involved in a law suit. I'm not implying that the Tremor would handle a 4k load any different from a regular Maverick with 4k tow but between the two of those hauling a 4k load, both getting into an accident and being sued in court, one is going to have a much harder time proving that they weren't negligent.

I'd like to refer you to the case of Martinez v. Wade (Ellis County, Texas 2008). Google it or any number of similar cases. Do you have 1.3 million bucks lying around? Also, even if you don't cause the accident you can still be sued in civil court......
Well…since you mention it, lawsuits are what I do for a living. Not a “street lawyer” whatever that is. Instead a licensed lawyer.

And way more lawsuits are filed for other reasons of negligence than towing more than a manufacturer recommendation. But of course you are right, if that actually causes the accident, it will certainly be used. But one’s speeding is very easy to prove, and is negligent…and I venture to say most people here commit that negligence routinely without second thought.

And, just a matter of fact, defendant does not need to prove defendant was “not negligent.” The burden of proof is on plaintiff to prove the elements of the claim…in this case, duty, breach, causation, damages.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The former.

I too like to advise clients using the learned treatise of Motor Trend. Haha.
Or the fellow attorneys cited in said article...

🙄

Saxapl

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Or the fellow attorneys cited in said article...

🙄
Yeah, I do not use those either. We are like doctors…No two will agree. But I would prefer to rely on opinions in things like 2nd Restatement rather than Motor Trend.

But I do not disagree with the premise…that all kinds of things can form the basis of a plaintiff’s negligence claim. But obviously plaintiff has to prove that the negligence was the cause of the injury. So, the over manufacturer recommended weight would have to be a cause. More likely than not, it was one’s failure to pay attention, speeding, distracted driving, or other cause…

Even under the manufacture’s recommended weight, if you fail to stop to avoid an accident…you have a negligence problem.

This is just not a big deal…although everyone gets to make their own risk decisions. I would rather my clients drive at a speed that allows them to avoid an accident, stay off the phone, and quit drinking at all, before I worry about their trailer weight.
Sponsored