kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Can't switch body codes. At this point you are locked into a Tremor.
I checked with my dealer today (after I saw the memo posted this morning) and supposedly it is possible to drop Tremor and add FX4, as well as make other changes. However, we did not actually attempt to make that specific Tremor-to-FX4 change so I'm not 100% certain.
Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I checked with my dealer today (after I saw the memo posted this morning) and supposedly it is possible to drop Tremor and add FX4, as well as make other changes. However, we did not actually attempt to make that specific Tremor-to-FX4 change so I'm not 100% certain.

I dropped the Tremor today and went FX4. I'm not losing 5mpg to tow 2k less lbs.

I'm not going to Moab so the FX4 will be just fine.

OP
OP

kskis

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hyundai Tucson SEL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been busy overanalyzing the FX4 v. Tremor problem in a spreadsheet today and thought I would share my conclusion in case it's helpful to others.
Assuming regular unleaded gas prices stay around $3.60/gal where we live, I figure we'll spend about $360/year (or about $30/month) more on fuel for the Tremor. That's based on 18k miles/year, over 80% of them highway/freeway.
I was just about ready to change my order to an FX4, but since we do think we'll need the improved ground clearance and approach/departure angles, I've decided that for us, I'm willing to pay an extra $1/day for what should be significantly improved off-road capability (i.e. fun factor) over the FX4.

P.S. The way this analysis came out really surprised me, because I'll be using the Mav as a commuter vehicle, and it'll go on lots of road trips. However, we don't need it to tow or do other "real-truck" things, as we have a 3/4 ton for that. If I needed to tow/haul with it, I'm sure I'd feel differently.

MaverickInMass

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just received for production next week! A bit disappointed in the MPG drop.

Ford Maverick Tremor real-world MPG? Guesses? 6FBB0D0A-97A7-4BA8-AB7B-53DE5D9DE547

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wow, that is a massive drop on the highway mpg...I don't think I quite believe it'll be that much in real life.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm not an aerospace engineer. But I don't think that will be the difference maker. Generally what kills performance for an off-road vehicle is the 4-wheel-drive system. But since it will use the same AWD as the non-Tremor, I don't think the Tremor package itself will be the difference maker. Maybe 1 MPG... if the wind is blowing the wrong way?
The drivetrain and AWD is absolutely not the same as the standard Mav AWD system.

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The drivetrain and AWD is absolutely not the same as the standard Mav AWD system.
Other than added trail control and upgraded half-shafts what changed?

Last edited:

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Other than added trail control and upgraded half-shafts what changed?
In short - all Mavericks (except Tremor) have an AWD system that is part time with open differentials. This means the Maverick is FWD until it detects wheel slippage and then it will send power to the rear wheels. There is no way to lock AWD in.

With open differentials - anytime time one of the two wheels per axle (front/rear) experiences less traction that wheel will get all of the power and spin freely. The system will recognize wheel slippage and then apply ABS to the freely spinning wheel to create traction and transfer power to the other wheel.

With the Tremor - it receives the Advanced AWD system found in the Bronco Sport Badlands and formerly the Focus RS. This has an entirely different RDU (rear drive unit) that is capable of splitting torque and locking AWD in and has the ability to lock the rear differential (via a twin clutch pack) so both wheels will spin 1:1 regardless of which wheel has less resistance.

Ford Maverick Tremor real-world MPG? Guesses? Screen-Shot-2022-08-12-at-9.40.56-AM-1024x737

You can see the locking 4WD and right next to it is the rear "locker".

Ford Maverick Tremor real-world MPG? Guesses? Screen-Shot-2022-08-12-at-9.52.17-AM-1024x575

It's really a great system. The Focus RS uses the torque-vectoring to actual assist in steering the vehicle during corners. It will apply power to the outside rear wheel to assist with turn in. The Mav won't do this - but it shows the capability of the system.

The standard AWD Maverick and the Tremor will perform identical in on road situations as you would not want to lock the AWD system OR rear locker in a dry or even wet pavement scenario. So both systems will be FWD on road until slippage is detected.

However - I wouldn't take a standard AWD Maverick much off the beaten path due to the open differentials, low front fascia, and standard tires.

For me, I wasn't initially looking at the Tremor - I wanted an XL Hybrid but Ford decided I was not worthy of one. I have property in Western, NC at 4,700+ feet up and the advanced AWD system will come in great use for me so I made the switch.

Where as the Maverick AWD would mostly guarantee that I make it up to my property. The Tremor will allow me to drive around it and access parts of it that I otherwise could not. This sounds trivial until you're trying to haul out branches, stumps, etc.

Last edited:

fossil

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 SVT Cobra Mustang, HPR Lariat Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's really a great system. The Focus RS uses the torque-vectoring to actual assist in steering the vehicle during corners. It will apply power to the outside rear wheel to assist with turn in. The Mav don't do this - but it shows the capability of the system.
I read a lot about the Focus RS RDU back when it launched, interesting stuff.

I cannot verify but it has been reported that in sand mode the Badlands RDU disconnects the inside wheel and drives the outside for your "torque-vectoring" while in non Tremor setups the traction control uses the brakes to control wheel spin sapping power.
At this point we really don't know what kind if tricks Ford has programed into the Tremor RDU and it's interface with the main traction control but it will be interesting to find out.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I read a lot about the Focus RS RDU back when it launched, interesting stuff.

I cannot verify but it has been reported that in sand mode the Badlands RDU disconnects the inside wheel and drives the outside for your "torque-vectoring" while in non Tremor setups the traction control uses the brakes to control wheel spin sapping power.
At this point we really don't know what kind if tricks Ford has programed into the Tremor RDU and it's interface with the main traction control but it will be interesting to find out.
Yep - I want to assume that it will match the Badlands RDU programming but that seems like a point that Ford would highlight or market - similar to the trail turn assist in the bronco.

However - I've come to realize that even the Texas Truck guys probably lack the full knowledge the forums collectively have on the Maverick and a lot of misinformation was in those videos and reviews that dropped yesterday - so there is definitely a lot more to be learned on the Tremor.

Sponsored

AJFord

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 ford maverick tremor and 16 mustang gt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hope we can do the eco/sport mode in the Tremor which will help with mpg...

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I hope we can do the eco/sport mode in the Tremor which will help with mpg...
Eco and Sport are disabled but I am sure like the Bronco we will be able to re-enable via Forscan.

Ozuye10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick, 22 4Runner, 16 Mazda6, 12 Camry, 04 R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m thinking it’ll be low 20’s mixed driving but improve to mid 20’s after the engine is broke in.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In short - all Mavericks (except Tremor) have an AWD system that is part time with open differentials. This means the Maverick is FWD until it detects wheel slippage and then it will send power to the rear wheels. There is no way to lock AWD in.

With open differentials - anytime time one of the two wheels per axle (front/rear) experiences less traction that wheel will get all of the power and spin freely. The system will recognize wheel slippage and then apply ABS to the freely spinning wheel to create traction and transfer power to the other wheel.

With the Tremor - it receives the Advanced AWD system found in the Bronco Sport Badlands and formerly the Focus RS. This has an entirely different RDU (rear drive unit) that is capable of splitting torque and locking AWD in and has the ability to lock the rear differential (via a twin clutch pack) so both wheels will spin 1:1 regardless of which wheel has less resistance.

Screen-Shot-2022-08-12-at-9.40.56-AM-1024x737.png

You can see the locking 4WD and right next to it is the rear "locker".

Screen-Shot-2022-08-12-at-9.52.17-AM-1024x575.png

It's really a great system. The Focus RS uses the torque-vectoring to actual assist in steering the vehicle during corners. It will apply power to the outside rear wheel to assist with turn in. The Mav won't do this - but it shows the capability of the system.

The standard AWD Maverick and the Tremor will perform identical in on road situations as you would not want to lock the AWD system OR rear locker in a dry or even wet pavement scenario. So both systems will be FWD on road until slippage is detected.

However - I wouldn't take a standard AWD Maverick much off the beaten path due to the open differentials, low front fascia, and standard tires.

For me, I wasn't initially looking at the Tremor - I wanted an XL Hybrid but Ford decided I was not worthy of one. I have property in Western, NC at 4,700+ feet up and the advanced AWD system will come in great use for me so I made the switch.

Where as the Maverick AWD would mostly guarantee that I make it up to my property. The Tremor will allow me to drive around it and access parts of it that I otherwise could not. This sounds trivial until you're trying to haul out branches, stumps, etc.
I think it even says in the owner's manual not to take the Ford Maverick off road

Alpinefire

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Had my Tremor XLT for just over a month. 3000km in. Roughly 50/50 split for city and hwy. Averaging about 27mpg. On a 1000km road trip I averaged 30mpg. I live in a fairly hilly area as well. So far I'm impressed with the fuel consumption. Haven't tested it off road yet.
Sponsored