First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey everyone. I know the towing capacity for the Ecoboost without the optional tow package is 2000lbs. Curious what the largest cargo trailer (length/width) that some of you are hauling and how does the truck seem to do?

Asking because I'm doing research on enclosed cargo trailers to do a camper conversion. 5x8 seems too small, 6x8 seems more reasonable for 2 people and a small dog, 6x10 would be more the ideal, but afraid to risk overburdening the Maverick with a 6x12.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have 6x10 enclosed higher roof trailer converted into toy hauler/ camper . weighs 1k lbs unloaded . mc weighs 500 lbs . haven't towed with maverick yet . should tow it fine .

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do not exceed manufacturer recommendations. I live by "better safe than sorry" these days after learning the hard way in my youth ;)

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just slow down the larger you go.
If willing to keep it 55-60 MPH maximum under all circumstances (slower as conditions warrant) 7x12x9H is comfortable to tow with the Hybrid, which is virtually the same truck with 3/4 as much horsepower.

Heavier is more stable for cross winds, if you keep the center of gravity low.

Tip: keep tongue weight on the heavier side. 10% to 15% of total trailer weight is recommended by all manufacturers. Mine is at 14% and I have never ever had sway problems. Sway is exasperated by too little weight on the hitch.

Sponsored

GTBuzz

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
@Mrboom_5.0 posted a video towing a 6x12. He covers all the towing and handling details. Its a shorter tow, so can't say how it is for mountains. Just stay within the designated weight and cross section and you should be good

Edit: He doesnt have the tow package either.

Last edited:

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 6x8 and it weighs 1,300# empty. I rarely put more than 500# in it (we use it for craft shows) so I don't anticipate any issues towing it with my hybrid.

But just saying "6x8" or "6x10" is not really telling anything. When I bought mine I found similar trailers weighing between 1,100# and 1,700#. Depends on model and manufacturer. If you are doing a camper conversion you (of course) need to calculate your conversion weight and add it to the 'empty' weight. Then add the "cargo" weight of gear / food / water etc. to stay under the 2000# limit.

Without knowing what your conversion is going to add I'm just guessing but I think you will be pushing the limit weight-wise.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Th
I have a 6x8 and it weighs 1,300# empty. I rarely put more than 500# in it (we use it for craft shows) so I don't anticipate any issues towing it with my hybrid.

But just saying "6x8" or "6x10" is not really telling anything. When I bought mine I found similar trailers weighing between 1,100# and 1,700#. Depends on model and manufacturer. If you are doing a camper conversion you (of course) need to calculate your conversion weight and add it to the 'empty' weight. Then add the "cargo" weight of gear / food / water etc. to stay under the 2000# limit.

Without knowing what your conversion is going to add I'm just guessing but I think you will be pushing the limit weight-wise.
This. Not sure how a camper conversion is going to weigh in under 2k unless it is the barest of bare bones. With basics for over night (bed, fridge, toilet, sink, ac, generator or battery), gray tank, water supply, and then gear that's really tough to be under 2k.

Plus finding a 6x10 with a mechanical brake. Me thinks if you wanted to tow a camper shoulda got the 4k. But hey probably not my business....

OP
OP
JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Right - in comparison shopping, depending on build/trailer quality the weight differs considerably, which I'm keeping in mind. The build will be relatively simple, and weight is definitely a consideration throughout this future build. Not doing a shower so won't have to carry too much water with me; debating on having the indoor sink, in which water/gray water tank would be needed. Trying to keep weight to a minimum. It's been a while since I towed anything, my last major towing experience was driving a decommissioned Roto-Rooter van pulling a two-horse trailer. Significantly more weight than this project requires.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
debating on having the indoor sink, in which water/gray water tank would be needed.
I'm thinking that would be a deal breaker. Not sure what you would need for water tank, I have a 30 gal fresh water tank on my rig, which is 240# alone. You could get by with a lot less, but water is heavy. :)

Sponsored
OP
OP
JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm thinking that would be a deal breaker. Not sure what you would need for water tank, I have a 30 gal fresh water tank on my rig, which is 240# alone. You could get by with a lot less, but water is heavy. :)
Wow! Didn't realize 30 gallons would weigh that much. I'm thinking 7 gallon freshwater container at most for sink. Truly going for the simplest build possible. I know some people go full-out for AC units and all that. So long as I have a fan to keep me cool at night, it can be summer and I'm good to go. At some point, "luxury" camping takes the fun out of the experience. I'm a tent camper to the core, but the other half is beginning to complain.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So if you're going for step above a tent, why not just a really nice tent? Get nice camp cots, an inverter generator, and a camp sink. Throw in the back with a utility trailer and you save a ton of money and super easy towing?

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow! Didn't realize 30 gallons would weigh that much. I'm thinking 7 gallon freshwater container
Water is 8.3# per gallon. So 7 gallons, plus gray and fresh tanks, plus sink and plumbing. I'm thinking you have 100# into a water system. And then you have to make sure it gets drained in winter and find a place to dump the gray tank.
I think I would just haul a dish pan or tub and use local water. You are eating up a lot of your weight on one item that with only 7 gallons is going to have limited utility anyway.

Jatrax

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 VW ID.4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So if you're going for step above a tent, why not just a really nice tent? Get nice camp cots, an inverter generator, and a camp sink. Throw in the back with a utility trailer and you save a ton of money and super easy towing?
This! Easy Peesey. And you can store all your camp gear in the trailer when not in use.

I guess another thought would be one of those tiny tent trailers. Probably cost more than a cargo trailer but no conversion needed. And a lot less wind resistance than a cargo trailer, which you need to take into account with the Maverick.

Another thought would be a roof tent like Overland or Rough Country. Not sure if they have one specific to Maverick but if you added bed rails and uprights it might work. Just a thought....

OP
OP
JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

JennyJoannSuebeeMcNash

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F150 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not the route my other half wants to go. It's beyond me.
Sponsored