First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Dodge SRT-4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My first new car had it and loved it. Although the motor froze open during rainy day and later my drains weren’t properly connected. But that was dealer error and corrected. My main pro for a moon roof is it sucks heat out with ease. Normally only the occupants can appreciate the view
Sponsored

bigshmoop

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 Plymouth Satellite, 2023 Toyota 4Runner ORP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
When buying a used car it's a nice bonus, but never a deal breaker for me. But seeing as I ordered this truck exactly how I wanted it I added it. I love it for all the reasons already stated. I love the added light to cabin even when not open and the added ventilation when it is. I've never regretted having one but have often wish I did when I didn't. That was the reason I threw it in.

xlt-doug

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (soon) Escape (current)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have had a moonroof on my car for the last 10 years and maybe used it twice. Didn’t get one on the Maverick 😉

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My '14 Jeep Cherokee had a panoramic roof. It squeaked constantly from 2 weeks in. I took it to the shop several times and it wouldn't stop. I think it's a factor of the larger roof assembly vs the vehicle flexing. Never had that sort of issue on any vehicle I've had with a normal sunroof.

Ended up getting rid of the Jeep for other reasons, but that always drove me nuts. Glad Maverick has a normal sunroof not panoramic.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm really going back and forth on this option. I pretty much have everything else, but the Maverick that was on the lot had a moonroof and it got me thinking. What are some pros and cons??? Thanks
I have one... I like it. If I was ordering another Maverick I would add it. Feels more open in the cab, even when closed. More ventilation when open. It does add some noise when open... but I like it open... so noise isn't an issue to me. As for rattles, leaks and such.. I've never had any in any of the moon/sun roofs I have had in cars I've owed. Even the quirky Opel I used to have that had a hand crank to open and close... No leaks or rattles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
Trivia: When researching a different car I found out that one of the major reasons that a moon roof will leak is that there are small drain holes that the water goes in then through a tube that goes down the pillar of the car. When those get clogged the water will tend to sit on the roof and then leak. I had assumed it was just because the seals had a problem.

If you will be parking your truck outside where leaf debris will fall on your car then you might want to consider that when deciding to order a moonroof or not.

Phileaux

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Edge SEL fwd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on where you live. Down here it's too hot and rainy. If you do get it condition the seal every year.
We have one on the sedan and I cut a sheet of foam to fit between the glass and headliner cover for the heat.

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I freaking love my moonroof and you can pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Here Here!

Love the moonroof. It is the closest I will ever get to owning a convertible. I have it open whenever I have a chance. If the weather is not cooperating, I still have a great view!

Ford Maverick To moonroof or not to moonroof. That is the question 1664229334755

Bsimps

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 Mustang gt, 02 Mercedes AMG
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered the moonroof on my Xl, for me nice option to have.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Overall, the simplest explanation is that Hermosillo is set up for standard moon roofs as a carryover from its Fusion/MKZ/Milan days, and Louisville is set up for PVRs.
I agree with this. This is probably the right answer. Ford assumed correctly that most people would be happy with anything, other than nothing at all.

I was just saying that it would have been a great add-on and the only reason I would have added a moonroof to my truck.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I agree with this. This is probably the right answer. Ford assumed correctly that most people would be happy with anything, other than nothing at all.

I was just saying that it would have been a great add-on and the only reason I would have added a moonroof to my truck.
Just trying to analyze it from Ford's perspective. :)

As for my view on the question at hand in this thread? I once tried saving money on a car by skipping the moon roof and quickly regretted it.

When I ordered my new Escape, I initially left off the Panoramic Vista Roof, trying to talk myself out of the $1,495 expense (well, ~$1,400 with A-Plan pricing). Didn't work, so a quick email to my salesman got that added onto the order, and all is right with the world. Well, not remotely all, but having the PVR is nice. Much better ventilation than using the side windows IMO. The glass roof makes it feel more spacious and modern, and being able to let just enough light in through the tinted glass is neat.

The Seventh Brat

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport; 203 Ford Maverick Tremor
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm really going back and forth on this option. I pretty much have everything else, but the Maverick that was on the lot had a moonroof and it got me thinking. What are some pros and cons??? Thanks
I've had one on several different vehicles and really miss not having one, so I made sure to order one for my XLT Tremor.

I owned a SporTrac years ago with a moonroof, plus the wide rear window that rolled all the way down. That was my favorite vehicle ever. That vehicle is why I'm getting a Maverick.

OB1e

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CG LUX XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's nice to have when you are on the highway playing baba O'Reilly with all the windows down. My focus had it. Then it started leaking. Enough water on the floor and you will never want one ever again.

Mavonorder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've always had moonroofs (Mr) up to two cars ago. I skipped those because every time my wife's in the car she complained that it messes up her hair so I always had to leave the roof closed. I missed the mr so I ordered a Mr with the Mav and open it every time my wife's not in the car and especially like it open with the rear slider😉. Only downside is you have to leave it closed for a while after first driving if it's been raining or there was a lot of dew overnight. Otherwise water will dump on you when you start driving. It happened to me a couple times and was rather weird. At first it was a few drops, then a minute or two later more drops. Then a minute or two later a lot of drops. So many drops in fact I accidently put the rotary shifter in reverse trying to quickly mop up all the water with napkins that fell around the rotary gear knob! Thank goodness it didn't actually go into reverse due to the safety mechanism😵💫. Still glad I got the Mr😁

bbyBlue

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick (VB), 1986 Lincoln Mark 7
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My Sport trac had the moon roof and I loved it ! my ranger dose not and I sure do miss it ! So I added it on my XL when I ordered it !
Sponsored