Sponsored

Thought I’d seen it all. 12k ADM markup!

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was in Upland today and decided to swing by the local Ford dealer to see the Maverick they have in stock, I get there and they have marked it up $12,000! It was almost $50,000 for a Maverick! Now I get why people call them “stealerships”. And to make it worse, some poor guy actually bought it! They also had a Bronco they marked up $20,000. Absolutely nuts
Sponsored

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Geesh...love how Ford markets this as an affordable vehicle for the masses and then some lowlife Stealerships just say "Oh, hell no....screw affordability to the masses - SHOW ME THE MONEY!!" Unfortunately, some people will pay it. 🤬 It is like scalping vehicles!! You get arrested for scalping hot/sold out event tickets, but stealerships call it a "market adjustment" and it's legal.

OP
OP
Dan

Dan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Geesh...love how Ford markets this as an affordable vehicle for the masses and then some lowlife Stealerships just say "Oh, hell no....screw affordability to the masses - SHOW ME THE MONEY!!" Unfortunately, some people will pay it. 🤬 It is like scalping vehicles!! You get arrested for scalping hot/sold out event tickets, but stealerships call it a "market adjustment" and it's legal.
It is crazy anymore, thankfully companies are going away from the dealership model

CandleMaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I don't think you really get arrested for re-selling tickets to sold out events. Seems like something you saw on tv. How is that illegal? It's not gas being price gouged during an emergency, which is illegal.

ImGoose

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia SUV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It is crazy anymore, thankfully companies are going away from the dealership model
I wouldn't say we're getting away from the dealership model. Consumers will just have to custom order vehicles more often.

It'll help us not pay above MSRP, but we won't be able to pay much less than MSRP, either.

Dealerships are baked into states at a near law level for whatever reason.

Sponsored

Stevospeedo

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat AWD FX4 4K Towing 245/65R17 Falken WP A/T3W
If people would stop paying the markup, they would stop doing it. I blame the consumers more than the dealers. For $8k more he could have ordered an spare hybrid base model...

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think you really get arrested for re-selling tickets to sold out events. Seems like something you saw on tv. How is that illegal? It's not gas being price gouged during an emergency, which is illegal.
Doubtful, as I don't watch TV...but it is not the re-selling just because you could no longer go to the event, it is the price gouging part.

There is no federal law against scalping, but, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL), 15 states ban the practice in some way, most labeling it as a misdemeanor with penalties including fines and/or up to a year in jail.

States that restrict scalping include: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Ohio, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin.”

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not defending the dealers I think that $12k over is insane but someone bought it.

They have the right to sell it with the adjustment. How much would any of you sell your house for? Would you ensure affordability or sell to the highest bidder at current market rates?

Businesses factor in operating expenses on each sale. They have to predict a certain amount of sales to keep the lights on. With massive pull backs in inventory each sale now has a higher portion of the overhead to cover. Combine low stock with increase demand across the board and prices need to increase or they would sell out. What would you do with an empty store?

Last edited:

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am not defending the dealers I think that $12k over is insane but someone bought it.

They have the right to sell it with the adjustment. How much would any of you sell your house for? Would you ensure affordability or sell to the highest bidder at current market rates?

Businesses factor in operating expenses on each sale. They have to predict a certain amount of sales to keep the lights on. With massive pull backs in inventory each sale now has a higher portion of the overhead to cover. Combine low stock with increase demand across the board and prices need to increase or they would sell out. What would you do with an empty store?
The issue I see is this encroaches on price gouging. These are companies. Not private citizens selling a home. Also I don't see how people get financed for that much over msrp. Banks usually won't do that.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The issue I see is this encroaches on price gouging. These are companies. Not private citizens selling a home. Also I don't see how people get financed for that much over msrp. Banks usually won't do that.

$12k is insane and it is price gouging. my points defended a $1-3k markup. I don’t see anything more being defendable.

Some people have cash and I sure hope someone that would pay $12k over MSRP has cash.

Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some people have cash and I sure hope someone that would pay $12k over MSRP has cash.
People are stupid......paying 12k over in ANY situation is stupid

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I certainly think this is a major ugly issue, however it does help keep our direct early purchases maintain their value.

I like that part. 😊

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People are stupid......paying 12k over in ANY situation is stupid
I believe I made that clear in my first post. I think paying anything over is stupid.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I certainly think this a major ugly issue, however it does help keep our direct early purchases maintain their value.

I like that part. 😊
Bronco has already seen an official price increase.....I know the 2023 or 2024 mavs will have it too. Glad I bought early.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I believe I made that clear in my first post. I think paying anything over is stupid.
Reread your first post and still didn't come away with that.
Sponsored