Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mostly because some low trim Kia/Hyundais don't utilize a common RFID transponder security key so it's been an issue for a few years now. To the point where in Wisconsin where car thefts were particularly bad you outright couldn't get insurance from some providers for the affected vehicles.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The kids are NOT alright! I personally think everyone with a smartphone is a at some stage of cognitive degradation. No joke, the higher percentage of your life you have one the more at risk you are for doing really dumb stuff.

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Wish my brother would have seen this thread months ago. My brother bought a low mileage 2020 Hyundai Elantra about 2 months ago. He didn't know about the thefts at the time. When he did, he tried to get a club for it but they are sold out everywhere. So 2 weeks ago he shelled out $500 for an alarm/immobilizer. Had a bright blinking blue light on the dash when the alarm was activated. So last night he parked in the handicap parking (he has a handicap permit) at Walmart right at the front of the store to do some shopping. The thieves smashed his drivers side rear window out. The alarm shock sensor must have chirped warning them there was an alarm so they left. But WTF? Thieves so bold they try stealing it right near the front entrance with people walking by? And WTF Hyundai?! Why would you NOT have an immobilizer on the engine?! Even by 2022, most car makers had an immobilizer chip. Hell my 2006 Dodge Magnum had a programmable chip in the key to immobilize the engine, and every Ford I've had since 2011 has had one. Hyundai going to lose a lot of money when people sue them and buyers decide to buy a different brand after hearing about the car thefts. Feel sorry for my brother. He works 2 jobs and now has to deal with this crap trying to get his window replaced.

TCPTX65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XL Hybrid, 2023 Buick Enclave
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Wish my brother would have seen this thread months ago. My brother bought a low mileage 2020 Hyundai Elantra about 2 months ago. He didn't know about the thefts at the time. When he did, he tried to get a club for it but they are sold out everywhere. So 2 weeks ago he shelled out $500 for an alarm/immobilizer. Had a bright blinking blue light on the dash when the alarm was activated. So last night he parked in the handicap parking (he has a handicap permit) at Walmart right at the front of the store to do some shopping. The thieves smashed his drivers side rear window out. The alarm shock sensor must have chirped warning them there was an alarm so they left. But WTF? Thieves so bold they try stealing it right near the front entrance with people walking by? And WTF Hyundai?! Why would you NOT have an immobilizer on the engine?! Even by 2022, most car makers had an immobilizer chip. Hell my 2006 Dodge Magnum had a programmable chip in the key to immobilize the engine, and every Ford I've had since 2011 has had one. Hyundai going to lose a lot of money when people sue them and buyers decide to buy a different brand after hearing about the car thefts. Feel sorry for my brother. He works 2 jobs and now has to deal with this crap trying to get his window replaced.
Hell, my 1997 Buick LeSaber had a chip in the key.

Sponsored

BlueSnake77

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My brother got his window fixed today, but no guarantee that the thieves won't break it out again. Hyundai going to lose millions if not billions in the long term as many people will think twice about buying a Hyundai/Kia and those that were victims I doubt that they would buy another one. This come after Hyundai/Kias with push button start were getting hacked. I had thought about perhaps getting a Hyundai or Kia in the near future, but probably not now if they can't get thier sh** together.
And the person that first discovered the hack and decided to post it on Tik Tok deserves a special place in hell too. If that were me, I wouldn't have posted it but kept it to myself and not felt I had to screw tens of thousands of people over and make thier lives miserable just to get 15 minutes of fame. But some people have no morals I guess.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hell, my 1997 Buick LeSaber had a chip in the key.
Not a chip. A relatively easily defeated resistor.

Some of the GM's that followed in the early 2000's are little better. They went for authenticating not the key but... the ignition switch. Okay, so you can't hotwire it. Yet pick the cylinder, rip it out, or bust off the ignition switch to actuate that directly and you can still start them.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This come after Hyundai/Kias with push button start were getting hacked. I had thought about perhaps getting a Hyundai or Kia in the near future, but probably not now if they can't get thier sh** together.
The push button system is 1000 percent better than the keyed version. Any of these thefts are easily prevented with a security system that disables starting if the alarm is activated.

Ford Maverick Thieves stealing Hyundai's in 45 secs ? shoppin

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I heard thieves steal them in 45 seconds then return them a minute later after realizing how crappy they are.

SLINGSHOT

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Sponsored

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 1992 fox body has an immobilizer, it is call a "5 speed" LOL

Thoron99

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having watched plenty of Lock-picking Lawyers videos on YouTube, I’m fully convinced 99% of locks are only good for keeping out random amateurs who check to see if the knob is unlocked out of your stuff.
Sponsored