First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s both the fact that they are getting cheaper and the fact that automakers are being pushed to hybrid and full electric vehicles. Also a base hybrid is a huge selling point.
Only when they can deliver it like a base model. 🤦‍♂️
Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
R&D on an existing pack? Example, you can find the 8 year old batt replacements for around 1200-2000 bucks. So in 8 years....yeah....
Not sure why you are comparing used/rebuilt batteries when we are talking about the Fords costs, including R&D, marketing etc etc for NEW battery systems delivered in a NEW vehicle.

Do you think Ford is paying retail? The cost for most replacement components is heavily inflated compared to what the manufacturer pays.
Retail encompasses the total manufacturing/R&D marketing etc costs, plus typically around a 6ish% profit. Auto manufacturers margins tend to be fairly low. Having worked in the industry I have seen this first hand. Would love to know where "heavily inflated" ideas are coming from. I have seen parts where literally a penny per part determined if it was profitable to make or not.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure why you are comparing used/rebuilt batteries when we are talking about the Fords costs, including R&D, marketing etc etc for NEW battery systems delivered in a NEW vehicle.

Retail encompasses the total manufacturing/R&D marketing etc costs, plus typically around a 6ish% profit. Auto manufacturers margins tend to be fairly low. Having worked in the industry I have seen this first hand. Would love to know where "heavily inflated" ideas are coming from. I have seen parts where literally a penny per part determined if it was profitable to make or not.
Nissan charges 100.00 for a 13.00 bulb retail.....that is where.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out the weber auto breakdown, those batteries are not just a bunch of cells packed together, the control electronics alone are pricey.

$5k is their retail cost. People forget to factor in R&D, assembly and associated costs when figuring the value of an item, they just look at a BOM price breakdown and assume thats all it should cost.
It's not a new pack. The major r&d costs have been amortized. Economies of scale etc. That's why they can put it in a $20k truck.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's not a new pack. The major r&d costs have been amortized. Economies of scale etc. That's why they can put it in a $20k truck.
Exactly....this is not new. The electric motor is, but the controls and batteries are not

Sponsored

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last I checked the battery is a $5k part, almost 25% of the vehicles cost.
That's retail. If you added up all the Maverick parts retail sale price, it would likely be way over $100k. And that wouldn't even include labor, just parts.

We have no idea what Ford's actual battery cost is. And given the quite small battery size in the Maverick Hybrid, I think we can safely conclude it is well south of $5K. We just don't know how much.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have no doubt the hybrid system costs more to build than the EB. It has more moving parts, the battery, more tech controls, etc.

Or think of it this way - they both have 4 cylinder engines. That is the "base cost." In addition, the bybrid has all the equipment for the electric drive, regenerative braking, etc.

Why are they doing it.? I believe they want to get their fuel economy numbers up. I am happy to help with that 😊

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have no doubt the hybrid system costs more to build than the EB. It has more moving parts, the battery, more tech controls, etc.

Or think of it this way - they both have 4 cylinder engines. That is the "base cost." In addition, the bybrid has all the equipment for the electric drive, regenerative braking, etc.

Why are they doing it.? I believe they want to get their fuel economy numbers up. I am happy to help with that 😊
You really think that eb doesn't have electronic controls out the wazoo? Our pos versa has electronics for every thing....from a steering angle sensor to A POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE!

Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided
There was a time an automatic trans was a hefty upcharge. Now a manual is.
Just wondering which vehicle charges more for a manual right now? I know on the Bronco the manual is the base trans and adding the auto is a upcharge.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's retail. If you added up all the Maverick parts retail sale price, it would likely be way over $100k. And that wouldn't even include labor, just parts.

We have no idea what Ford's actual battery cost is. And given the quite small battery size in the Maverick Hybrid, I think we can safely conclude it is well south of $5K. We just don't know how much.
What I really want to know is how much that electric motor costs. 98KW motors are rather pricey. I kinda want to tie one into a hydrodam in my backyard.

Your not wrong though, I doubt ford is paying $5k to make the battery.

Sponsored
OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just wondering which vehicle charges more for a manual right now? I know on the Bronco the manual is the base trans and adding the auto is a upcharge.
Mustang

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Easy answer, government regulations.

Ford has to pay companies like Tesla millions upon millions of dollars every year just for Tesla to exist. Why? Because the government makes them purchase regulatory credits. Last quarter alone Tesla apparently raked in nearly $500 million in regulatory credits that they sell just for existing with their electric oriented business model, and the only way for Ford to get around these losses is to sell their own EVs and hybrids to increase their fleet fuel efficiency and reduce their emissions.

I doubt the hybrid is actually $1000 cheaper to produce than the Ecoboost, but its likely simply more profitable for Ford to sell hybrid Mavericks at low margins or even a slight loss if it means reducing the bleeding from government regulatory fees that would just be lost money otherwise.

In a perfect laisse faire economy, its not likely the hybrid option would even exist, yet alone be so cheap. Its like asking why corn is seemingly omnipresent in pretty much any product you can find in a grocery store, not just the food but some of the bio based plastics and heck even the grocery store gas station via 10% ethanol. Government regulations that heavily subsidize corn, just like it subsidizes electrification.

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You really think that eb doesn't have electronic controls out the wazoo? Our pos versa has electronics for every thing....from a steering angle sensor to A POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE!
Really!? I never suggested such a thing, of course it does. :rolleyes:

What I did suggest is that the hybrid has more, as it is much more complex.

OP
OP
STARCOMMTREY1

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really!? I never suggested such a thing, of course it does. :rolleyes:

What I did suggest is that the hybrid has more, as it is much more complex.
That's my point. Does it really? Gas burners have become so electronic today I would argue it might be negligible. For example, I would bet a dime to a dollar that the ice engine in the hy rid has less electronics than the ebs. I'd wager the cvt and the 8 speed have similar electronics.
Sponsored