Sponsored

TELL ME HOW WRONG I AM… Buy Santa Cruz and sell when my Maverick arrives?

sseiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV 4 XSE
So, I test drove the Santa Cruz 2.5, and it’s pretty dang cool. I’m thinking about buying it (at MSRP) and then selling it once my Mav is delivered.

I have a first edition Lariat hybrid ordered. (Ordered 9/5; no build date yet).

The wait and the Ford allocation system has grown old, which y’all understand. The main issue is that my current car is growing older for every day I have to wait on my Mav to be delivered. My Mini is about to need break pads, rotors, alignment, etc. Basically, I’m at that point where I either drop a couple thousand into my Mini or I sell it. (And, yes, maintenance on Mini Countryman is crazy expensive… which is why I won’t own another one.) If I sell, I need a replacement. We have to be a two-car family.

Anyway, given the market, I’m thinking about buying a Santa Cruz 2.5 Limited. When my Mav is eventually built, I’ll sell the Santa Cruz. Assuming my Mav might be built and delivered by, let’s say, August (hopefully at the latest), I wouldn’t have over a few thousand miles on it. I could still sell it for close to the price I paid for it.

I’ll lose a couple thousand either way: I’ll either drop the cash to maintain my current car or I’ll possibly lose money by buying and then selling the Santa Cruz a few months later.

ok, let me have it…. How screwed up is this strategy? And why? Would I be losing more money than I think if I buy-sell the SC?

Alright, go for it… 🎯
Sponsored

Traegorn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trae
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nerdandtie.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Versa, 2023 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I mean, my only thought is the real risk is you might like the Santa Cruz more at that trim level. 😆

Like I wanted a Hybrid and I'm too cheap to up for a Lariat. If those weren't the case, I'd definitely be looking at the Santa Cruz too. It's a compelling option.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The condition would be if you can even get a limited at MSRP. A lot of them that will say over the phone that they'll do MSRP for you will have all kinds of fees and other pointless add ons like window etching and under body spray etc. or they'll say that price is only if you finance with them and so forth.

Limited is also going to be way more expensive than most Maverick builds, so even if you trade in, you lose some of the tax you paid, and you have to hope the dealer you're getting your Maverick from doesn't low-ball you on the SC.

If you're not in a pinch with your current vehicle, I'd wait.

Sponsored

Clarkdonbran

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Ford Maverick TELL ME HOW WRONG I AM… Buy Santa Cruz and sell when my Maverick arrives? 75D713D1-B54B-40A4-A8D6-ADFE149466FB

Shay

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Santa Cruz is very nice, better in most ways than the Maverick in terms of quality, appeal, features etc. Poison pills are that it costs more (why its nicer) and it slurps fuel. The big question is how important is fuel economy. It will get half of what the Maverick Hybrid gets in mpg.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Life is for living.....go for it! :)

(disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor, nor do I play one on the interweb)

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That sounds like something I would do after selling my 2019 EV with 24k miles last month for almost $5,000 more than what I paid for it in 2019! The car market right now is pretty similar to the SF housing market!

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's pretty difficult to be confident that this will work out well financially. It may seem like you will only take a loss of a couple of thousand in today's market, but in more normal times you would likely lose more than that.

Some potential problems: taxes you won't fully recoup, fees you won't fully recoup, the possibility that the used car market cools considerably by the time summer comes around.

Sponsored

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, I test drove the Santa Cruz 2.5, and it’s pretty dang cool. I’m thinking about buying it (at MSRP) and then selling it once my Mav is delivered.

The wait and the Ford allocation system has grown old, which y’all understand. The main issue is that my current car is growing older for every day I have to wait on my Mav to be delivered. My Mini is about to need break pads, rotors, alignment, etc. Basically, I’m at that point where I either drop a couple thousand into my Mini or I sell it. (And, yes, maintenance on Mini Countryman is crazy expensive… which is why I won’t own another one.) If I sell, I need a replacement. We have to be a two-car family.

Anyway, given the market, I’m thinking about buying a Santa Cruz 2.5 Limited. When my Mav is eventually built, I’ll sell the Santa Cruz. Assuming my Mav might be built and delivered by, let’s say, August (hopefully at the latest), I wouldn’t have over a few thousand miles on it. I could still sell it for close to the price I paid for it.

I’ll lose a couple thousand either way: I’ll either drop the cash to maintain my current car or I’ll possibly lose money by buying and then selling the Santa Cruz a few months later.

ok, let me have it…. How screwed up is this strategy? And why? Would I be losing more money than I think if I buy-sell the SC?

Alright, go for it… 🎯
You might find that you really like the Santa Cruz, in which case you could take delivery of your Maverick when it comes, and flip it for enough profit to cover the premium price you paid for the Santa Cruz. That way you'd get a Santa Cruz for the price of a Maverick.

Sirslayer

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would think you might be disappointed once you start driving your Maverick after selling your Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz is more luxurious and car like handling. The Maverick is more trucky and handles like a truck. I’m happy with my Maverick and did get a chance to examine a Santa Cruz and if I can afford it I would bought both vehicles

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boxster, Yamaha FJ1300, Maverick XL
I think the Santa Cruz is cool, I briefly considered getting one. All dealers around here seem to be marking up significantly though.
One thing to keep in mind- I lurked on Santa Cruz forums for a bit, and the perception there is that actual demand is LOWER than these dealers pretend it is. IOW- values may fall come summer.

projectvortex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
Undecided

Alright, go for it… 🎯
You definitely came to the right place if you want to be told how eff'd up your thinking is. In this case, and if needed sooner vs later, buy now and wait for the Mav to come in. It will be before August, maybe by several months.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I would think you might be disappointed once you start driving your Maverick after selling your Santa Cruz. The Santa Cruz is more luxurious and car like handling. The Maverick is more trucky and handles like a truck. I’m happy with my Maverick and did get a chance to examine a Santa Cruz and if I can afford it I would bought both vehicles
that maybe the most important factor in deciding for most people.
Sponsored