liveshot

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mazda Miata , 2022 VW Taos, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I discovered that to avoid the rubbing you have to be sure that the metal plate that the rod attaches to is exactly straight up and down. Your picture shows that the bottom of the plate is jutting out slightly towards the tailgate. Mine was at first and I experienced the rubbing. Once I reposition the plate correctly my problem was gone.
PXL_20220622_163841760.jpg
NEED HELP from my MTC brethren !
Had my Ford dealer(attempt to) install the DeeZee two times. Both times the plate that goes into the tailgate has fallen off. What did they do wrong and how can I correct it to make the tailgate assist work without falling off?
A few pictures attached.
Thanks all !

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix IMG_1064

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix IMG_1065

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix IMG_1066

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Take the T nut off and clean ALL the blue thread locker (solid) off So the nut can turn freely. Apply new blue thread locker (liquid) Then try again after getting the nut close to the bracket and be sure to pull out on the bolt once it turns into position. The hardened locker is the problem. They shoul have supplied this with a little package of lock tite and not put it on the bolt before hand to let it just harden in place

liveshot

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Take the T nut off and clean ALL the blue thread locker (solid) off So the nut can turn freely. Apply new blue thread locker (liquid) Then try again after getting the nut close to the bracket and be sure to pull out on the bolt once it turns into position. The hardened locker is the problem. They shoul have supplied this with a little package of lock tite and not put it on the bolt before hand to let it just harden in place
Thanks folks. It’s next to impossible to get the nut to turn at all.

Sponsored

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

That is why the nut should be tightened before inserting into the tailgate to minimize the gap. Orient the nut to the proper position then tighten.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Get it loosened a bit first. Then tighten the bolt and nut to the point that the oval nut is lined up to go in the hole AND the space between the mounting plate and nut is only slightly more than the thickness of the tailgate's hole opening material so that you won't have much tightening to do once you turn the nut 90 degrees. Then it is helpful to use a flat head screwdriver wedged between the tailgate panel material and the mounting plate to pry enough pressure to prevent the oval nut from turning as you tighten everything down.

liveshot

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you all for your suggestions. Mission accomplished. Yes, the blue thread locker was the issue getting the bolt off the plate. Soaking it in the wife's nail polish remover got the bolt off. And the suggestion to use a flat head screwdriver while tightening with the 5mm Allen made it snug.
This forum and you guys specifically are invaluable. Again, my thanks.

Fastbackjon

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0, 18 Flex, 20 Edge, 21 Escape
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Excellent explanation---That is the exact fix, and sorry to see a Ford Tech didnt know any better. One should get on their phone for install tips while working in the service bay. Anyway, Hope you get it mounted correctly.

Ringo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1953 MGTD, 1953 F100, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This forum is great. Glad you’ve got it on now.

Sponsored

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good eye. Especially in the first pic, it looks angled way toward the tailgate.
Update, I just discovered that if you look at the cable on the side with the tailgate assist it is slack putting all the weight of the tailgate squarely on the strut, so if you put your weight (in my case 200lbs) will cause the plate to pull out. I readjusted it and tightened the crap out of it and will not be sitting on it, I feel Ford should replace the cables so they support the tailgate instead of the strut

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Get it loosened a bit first. Then tighten the bolt and nut to the point that the oval nut is lined up to go in the hole AND the space between the mounting plate and nut is only slightly more than the thickness of the tailgate's hole opening material so that you won't have much tightening to do once you turn the nut 90 degrees. Then it is helpful to use a flat head screwdriver wedged between the tailgate panel material and the mounting plate to pry enough pressure to prevent the oval nut from turning as you tighten everything down.
I received my DeeZee tailgate assist package and put it on today. Did find that lining up the oval nut and tightening it down to be challenging. So...
1. While not in the vehicle, I completely tightened down and then slightly untightened the oval nut - seemed to be a bit easier to screw together after that.
2) With sharpie marker made a vertical line on the head of the bolt so I would know when the oval nut was turned correctly to that 90 degree when pushed into hole in the tailgate.
3) as mentioned above having something like a screwdriver to hold plate away from the side of the tailgate while I tightened that bolt/oval nut down seemed to do the trick - I used a wood shim that I could slowly take out, tighten more, slide out a bit more, tighten a bit more, etc. until the plate was completely tightened against the side of the tailgate.
Really had to tighten bot bolts very tight - especially the one that holds the cable to the side of the truck. Good idea to make sure that plate is pushed toward the front of the truck as much as you can to keep it out of the way of the cable.

Works great and my wife really appreciates that the tailgate is now easier for her to handle.

Catbizguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick and a Nissan Sentra
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, you purchased the aftermarket tailgate softclose device. It works great, until it doesn't. What happens after a few months of opening and closing is that the cable starts to go behind the ball of the actuator when you close the tailgate. Then, when you go to open again it gets stuck and the tailgate does not fully open. The rubber will start to rub off the cable as well. For $1.98 and a few minutes of work, you can fix it yourself. I got a rubber stopper at Lowes just large than the ball of the actuator (that's the $1.98 part of this). I then drilled out the inside and cut a slit in the side. I pushed it over the ball and put a black zip tie on it to ensure it stays in place. That's it, it now works perfectly again and the cable "does not" got behind the rubber cap. I'm sure you geniuses have a 3-D printed "do-dad" that will do the same thing, but I don't so here's my fix...

t1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
T4.jpg
T5.jpg
T6.jpg

T3.jpg
I did a simple fix, just put a large zip tie around the main part and cut it about
2 in. out.
I just did this but I have not had it go behind since.

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix 7DB9EEA1-A950-4E47-AC1F-A73F3DC2F1B6

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix C619ECC7-F2E4-4CF2-85D6-6B9339549924

Ferdinand

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did a simple fix, just put a large zip tie around the main part and cut it about
2 in. out.
I just did this but I have not had it go behind since.

7DB9EEA1-A950-4E47-AC1F-A73F3DC2F1B6.jpeg

C619ECC7-F2E4-4CF2-85D6-6B9339549924.jpeg
I suggest to review position of damper. The damper should be un the upper side, as stated earlier on this threat:

Ford Maverick Tailgate soft close fix 1673350021835

gman1108

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm glad i went back to this thread because I was having the same issue and found out also that it was upside down. I too was following fords pictures and they had it upside down, thanks for the info.
Sponsored