Sponsored

Tailgate assist install help! How to tighten the Allen bolt on the lower plate?

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I cut the bottle opener in half and screwed it back on. Out of the way and useful as a tie down. Might not be as strong, but I don't see a big load there.

PXL_20220206_221537910.MP.jpg
Yeah, I saw your post on that earlier on the thread as well as someone selling stainless steel replacements that don't interfere for $75 a pair. It looks like your hack is poking up into the cargo area. I would be concerned about catching something on it. I'm not criticizing your solution, just maybe something I wouldn't do for that reason. Thank you for sharing.
Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This had to be one of the worst designed bolt installs I've ever dealt with. Also it was freezing in my garage which made it painfully long to get done!

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I saw your post on that earlier on the thread as well as someone selling stainless steel replacements that don't interfere for $75 a pair. It looks like your hack is poking up into the cargo area. I would be concerned about catching something on it. I'm not criticizing your solution, just maybe something I wouldn't do for that reason. Thank you for sharing.
Good thought. I made a ball peen adjustment and rotated it 180. Tucks in right by the 12v door and out of they way. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Love
Reactions: Dad

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This had to be one of the worst designed bolt installs I've ever dealt with. Also it was freezing in my garage which made it painfully long to get done!
I've seen that design before with a method used to install additional tie downs (not the Maverick). Conceptually, a good idea, but manufacturer stinted on the bolt length which made it impossible to install. I had to purchase slightly longer bolts. Back to the Maverick: The bolt for the assist I purchased was long enough, but it was hard going until I removed the blue locktite. The plate has a round knob that you can pull on to cinch up the odd shaped nut.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From what I saw on the install video, you need to be putting some pulling pressure while you tighten it. If there is no pressure then it will just spin.
Good point ... using pressure to secure the bolt is the key.

Sponsored

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good thought. I made a ball peen adjustment and rotated it 180. Tucks in right by the 12v door and out of they way. Thanks for the suggestion.
You are very welcome. Sometimes all that is needed is another pair of eyes. Glad it worked out for you.

dadd75

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.universityofheaven.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat, 2013 Buick Encore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Boy, remember when I installed the tailgate dampener on my F150, no issues. My Maverick is scheduled to be built end of August, and I have already bought the dampener, so we shall see.

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hey Ford engineer! If you’re going to have an accessory available to replace a stock part, put a welded nut on it so it’s not a pain in the ass to install.

Reactions: Dad

Flight Test

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvettes
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I got it folks. Thanks everyone. I think the locktite they put on the bolt was the main culprit for turning a five minute job into a 45 minute job. Sometimes I think manufacturers just like to make us angry during installation.
Do it yourself and save 🤣
Sponsored