Sponsored

I'm having trouble installing the tailgate assist...

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just installed mine after watching @Shay's video on the install.

Most (if not all) of the bolts in the Maverick's bed are Torx PLUS - which Harbor Freight does not sell.

This was likely the source of OP's issue with getting the bolt out which is definitely torqued in there with some loctite.

Also - maybe it has changed my bolt took a TP-45 and fit like a glove. As a big user of impact drivers - I would recommend NOT using one here if you experience trouble getting the bolt out use a breaker bar.

Here is another little tip that may help anyone installing the tail gate assist.

20230710_150250_resized.jpg

I 100% would not do this. When installed correctly there is plenty of tolerance - close to a 1/4 inch between the screw and damper.

Ford Maverick I'm having trouble installing the tailgate assist... 1692030568055
Sponsored

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I installed mine after watching every video imaginable, so by the time I went to do it, wham, bam, thankya ma'am, done in maybe 10 minutes tops. I used a T50 and T30, no problem at all, that top bolt was tight, but I just made sure I was set into it dead straight and used some of that muscle this ol Geezer has been building. No problem. I was actually quite surprised how easy it went. Best tip out there is to screw on the nut to that plate bolt FIRST, leaving only enough clearance to set it in place.

Sembazuru

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
...SNIP...

I 100% would not do this. When installed correctly there is plenty of tolerance - close to a 1/4 inch between the screw and damper.

1692030568055.png
I have a different brand tailgate damper, but also have the same roughly 1/4" clearance to the tail-light screw head. Though, I did discover the damper is in the way of removing that screw when I installed some Lasfit backup LED "bulb"s. I ended up removing the top T50 bolt because I didn't want to over-force anything to pop the damper off of the ball mounts.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Best tip out there is to screw on the nut to that plate bolt FIRST, leaving only enough clearance to set it in place.
Absolutely - I was too tight and just kept backing it out until I got it to set in snuggly and tightened the rest of the way. Maybe 3 or 4 in and outs before I was spot on.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Absolutely - I was too tight and just kept backing it out until I got it to set in snuggly and tightened the rest of the way. Maybe 3 or 4 in and outs before I was spot on.
Yeah that was definitely the part that took the longest. Did everything else in about 5 minutes and I must've spent at least 30 minutes trying to get that thing to hook. At first I tried not to be too loose and I was too tight that it wasn't catching.

Sponsored

jaxson864

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What did you guys torque the top t50 tailgate bolt to? My plate shifts even after torquing to 40 ftlbs.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What did you guys torque the top t50 tailgate bolt to? My plate shifts even after torquing to 40 ftlbs.
A quarter turn before it snaps.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hmm, well since no one else is having an issue it makes me wonder if somehow my bolt is cross threaded or something.

I did get a harbor freight bit but I dont think that is it. Once I plugged it into the drill and tried that it was stuck enough in that the drill itself was turning instead of the bolt. (if you get what I'm saying), I'm gonna try a third time I guess.
I had trouble too....and do think it was the preLocktight that was applied that caused me issues.

The Real Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
For sure clean the lock-tite paste off before starting.

Sponsored

Jimmyland

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I must have been lucky as just used a regular socket wrench. The BIG fun for me was getting the funny nut to stay in the door as I tightened it down. Must have been over 1/2 hour fiddling around until it finally caught enough to tighten...
Same here but after fiddling with that nut got it to take.

Rockers99

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a bolt that works with the supplied nut stainless steel #4 Philips screwdriver used. For the deezee tailgate assist.
Ford Maverick I'm having trouble installing the tailgate assist... IMG_4310

OP
OP
Rojo

Rojo

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT, Alto Blue, AWD Eco-Boost, Lux
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For anyone just finding this and needs help, my biggest problem seemed to be the cheap Torx bits I got from Harbor Freight, in a fit of desperation I ordered another set off of amazon and the bolt came out with little problem. The cheap bits from HF were soft metal and were stripping before it could move the bolt.

These are the ones I bought that worked: LINK